ADVERTISEMENT

Jeans15 Jr

jeans15

Feb 23, 2011
Thought I would share a few highlights with you guys. My son's first year playing on a 10ft goal, league wise.. He is in the 5th grade.

To you shooters out there, please give me some feedback on his shooting form. It's hard to keep his elbow up because of the strength factor for his age.

Last edited:
Thought I would share a few highlights with you guys. My son's first year playing on a 10ft goal, league wise.. He is in the 5th grade.

To you shooters out there, please give me some feedback on his shooting form. It's hard to keep his elbow up because of the strength factor for his age.

Not a lot of jumpers to go off of, but the little guy has some exceptional handles for 5th grade. That alone will take him far in high school ball. At that age, every kid wants to shoot threes when they warm up or goof around in the gym. No kid actually has the strength to get it there so they wind up, get both hands into the shot, and muscle it up. Form will be ugly until they get the upper body and arm strength. The most important thing is teaching them form shooting from 6 and in and hammer that home in practice sessions. Gradually they will be able to move back and maintain form. Heck, there are a lot of junior high kids that struggle to get it to the rim from deep without throwing it. Thats my personal opinion of course. Again......great fracking handle for 5th grade---how did he develop the handle if I can ask? Every other kid out there looks like they are dribble a bowling ball!!!!

Reactions: jeans15
Not a lot of jumpers to go off of, but the little guy has some exceptional handles for 5th grade. That alone will take him far in high school ball. At that age, every kid wants to shoot threes when they warm up or goof around in the gym. No kid actually has the strength to get it there so they wind up, get both hands into the shot, and muscle it up. Form will be ugly until they get the upper body and arm strength. The most important thing is teaching them form shooting from 6 and in and hammer that home in practice sessions. Gradually they will be able to move back and maintain form. Heck, there are a lot of junior high kids that struggle to get it to the rim from deep without throwing it. Thats my personal opinion of course. Again......great fracking handle for 5th grade---how did he develop the handle if I can ask? Every other kid out there looks like they are dribble a bowling ball!!!!

Thank you. Makes me feel better and him too...(he reads this stuff.) That's pretty much what I do...I mostly worry about anything in the paint.....thank you for your feedback.

As far as his handles. He started dribbling with a red bouncy ball at 4 and really learned to control it. Since kids learn fast at a young age, I decided to teach him major ball handling moves early. The footwork it takes to make those moves. And we have hardwood floors in the house. So he will just dribble for hours......I also have a set of drills that covers all the moves and he just does it repeatedly none stop.

Reactions: Tortilla Launcher
My son is 13 & in the 7th grade. He’s played national AAU ball since 4th grade. Get your son up against better competition ASAP.
One drill to help him is to get him dribbling with two balls while running. My son will run laps around the block.

Thank you. Makes me feel better and him too...(he reads this stuff.) That's pretty much what I do...I mostly worry about anything in the paint.....thank you for your feedback.

As far as his handles. He started dribbling with a red bouncy ball at 4 and really learned to control it. Since kids learn fast at a young age, I decided to teach him major ball handling moves early. The footwork it takes to make those moves. And we have hardwood floors in the house. So he will just dribble for hours......I also have a set of drills that covers all the moves and he just does it repeatedly none stop.
Thats awesome man and it shows. I think dribbling is the single most important thing young kids should focus on early on. His footwork is amazing and being able to utilize his non dominant hand so early is huge.

My son is 13 & in the 7th grade. He’s played national AAU ball since 4th grade. Get your son up against better competition ASAP.
One drill to help him is to get him dribbling with two balls while running. My son will run laps around the block.

Thank you for your feedback. This is his 2nd year playing organized ball. I wanted to wait at least 2 years so he could learn the basics rules first.

I do make him play against 7th, 8th and 9th graders at the Rec center until then.

il_340x270.1403140519_bclq.jpg

Get em little jeans!!!

My sons are 7 and 5. The 7-year old's (2nd/3rd grade) league plays on 10-foot rims. It pisses me off. So dumb. And, to hear that your kid just started playing on 10-foot rims in 5th grade doesn't help. Personally, I think 4th grade is probably the time to get them on 10-foot rims.

My sons are 7 and 5. The 7-year old's (2nd/3rd grade) league plays on 10-foot rims. It pisses me off. So dumb. And, to hear that your kid just started playing on 10-foot rims in 5th grade doesn't help. Personally, I think 4th grade is probably the time to get them on 10-foot rims.

Yeah, 4th grade is a good age.....I wanted to start him out slow too.

If he is serious about the sport and is dominating his age group. Find a way for him to play against guys a year or 2 older.

If he is serious about the sport and is dominating his age group. Find a way for him to play against guys a year or 2 older.

At the rec center he plays pick up ball with the junior high kids 7th through 9th.

#21 with the long flowing locks is a liability to your sons team. Pry should process him for someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT