ADVERTISEMENT

It's official - UCLA is no longer a blueblood

You are right. Cincinnati actually had to compete with a top 25 team in it's conference this year. UCLA didn't.

tenor.gif

You would think the 1 old guy itt would remember UCLA in its heyday.
I actually do remember UCLA's heyday. But without Mr. Gilbert there would not have been a heyday. The NCAA refused to administer their rules because of John Wooden.

I also am old enough to remember the great Cincinnati teams and the great Ohio State teams, long before UCLA was ever heard of.

There is little following for UCLA is what I am talking about. They rarely even sell out their gym in a city with a massive population and a college with a massive student body. Would you please address that problem.

You are welcomed to present differing ideas I just don't understand the insults.

Sorry, not sorry, but UCLA hiring Cronin reminds me of this story, but today, it'd be "You can spend your whole life chasing a job, but if I want it, I'll take it.".

Here’s the prologue in short: Parrish says there was a prominent coach within the last three years that had been recruiting a kid hard, attended over thirty of his games over two years, etc. Calipari came in after seeing the kid once the previous summer and watched him play one game. The recruit then committed to Kentucky. That’s not the craziest part. According to Parrish, the coach started spreading rumors about how Cal must have cheated to get the recruit, that he barely knew his name, etc. So, Cal confronted the coach in Vegas.

Parrish recounts the story, which he says he heard from five different sources:

“100% true, John confronts this guy in Vegas, because he heard the guy was yapping. He confronts him. Cal approaches the coach and says something like ‘Listen, I know what you’ve been saying’

‘No, I haven’t been saying–‘

‘I know you did, I know you said what you said. I’ve heard it from enough people, but I want you to understand one thing. Yes I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day, if I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him. Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do.

‘I didn’t say–‘

‘Yes you did say that. And it’s fine, but just understand, nothing stupid went on. It’s just that I’m me, and we’re Kentucky and we can come in and get that kid whenever we want.”

Story was later confirmed to be Cronin as the other coach.

lol I remember reading that story. Cronin's going to use these same lines when he pries away a recruit from San Diego State.

Why don't you explain why UCLA is a much better. Explain the 10 times.

A team that actually has less attendance than UCLA. RollLaugh

UCLA is a blue blood, Cincy is not

UCLA is the premier CBB program of the entire West Coast and probably everything left of the state of Kansas, Cincy is 2nd fiddle to Ohio State in Ohio and an afterthought regionally in comparison with UK, UL, Purdue and IU.

UCLA plays in historic and recently renovated Pauley Pavilion, UC plays in something called Fifth Third Arena.

UCLA can afford to pay their 8th candidate Mick Cronin almost double his salary at UC.

UCLA plays in the PAC 12, which for all its present faults is still a power conference with power conference money. UC plays in the AAC, while competitive presently makes significantly less than all power conferences and all members of their league would jump at a power conference invite.

LA > Cincinnati, regardless of your preference the population and cost of living between the two places speak for itself, 99% of people if given a choice of all things equal will take LA.

I am also going to take a wild guess and say UCLA has superior facilities given the monetary discrepancy between coaching salaries and conference payouts.

Cincy is not a bad job either, it’s arguably better than many power conference jobs, it’s arguably better than WVU (we were unable to poach Huggins from Cincy previously), it’s just not in the same stratosphere as UCLA.

LA > Cincinnati, regardless of your preference the population and cost of living between the two places speak for itself, 99% of people if given a choice of all things equal will take LA.

Agree with everything you say except this. I'd put it at closer to 65-70%. La's certainly got the weather and the beautiful people but they've got a lot of issues that would make a good chunk of people have no interest in living there. I say this as someone who lives in Cincinnati but have spent a lot of time in LA for work.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I'll settle this for you guys arguing. UCLA is a better job than Cincy. It is still not even a 2nd tier job.

Cronin tried to fight a Xavier player a couple of seasons back, he should bless his lucky charms his team held him back and kept him from getting his ass handed to him. Talk about a weak minded man, getting baited by a college aged kid.
he'd be better off serving as Notre Dame's mascot.

ok I'm done.

Reactions: Global Havok

Thanks sir for taking the time to justify your position. I appreciate that.

Now to the point you make above.

LA > Cincinnati. I suppose that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In 2000 I retired. I could have retired to any place in the country. At the time I vowed never to go to New York or LA again in my life as they are the two worst places that I had to frequent. On the other hand, Cincinnati is a wonderful city.

Since my retirement the closest that I have been to LA is Palm Springs. Once you go over that mountain you run into that mass of humanity and the mess that you appear to love.

Last edited:
Agree with everything you say except this. I'd put it at closer to 65-70%. La's certainly got the weather and the beautiful people but they've got a lot of issues that would make a good chunk of people have no interest in living there. I say this as someone who lives in Cincinnati but have spent a lot of time in LA for work.

Great post boilerzz. Plus I don't know if LA has better "weather" than Cincinnati if you take it year in and year out. I don't ever remember forest fires, mud slides and earth quakes in Cincinnati. Let us not even talk about the tax "weather".

Most folks in love with New York and LA never had to frequent them often. Most have never been to LA when that wonderful weather builds up the smog or when the air is full of smoke.

And I have not seen the beautiful people in LA. I see them in the movies but not while I was in LA.

Great post boilerzz. Plus I don't know if LA has better "weather" than Cincinnati if you take it year in and year out. I don't ever remember forest fires, mud slides and earth quakes in Cincinnati. Let us not even talk about the tax "weather".

Most folks in love with New York and LA never had to frequent them often. Most have never been to LA when that wonderful weather builds up the smog or when the air is full of smoke.

And I have not seen the beautiful people in LA. I see them in the movies but not while I was in LA.
UCLA is a better job than Cinn, and both LA and NYC are better cities than Cinn. There is no way around it. I lived in NYC for a long time and have visited LA a lot. However, I do agree that UCLA is no longer a blue blood.

ADVERTISEMENT