ADVERTISEMENT

Its actually insane for anyone to claim UNC deserves a higher seed than UK...

I would normally agree. But the thread is strictly about facts, no opinions welcome.

Well you don't have it like that when you say no opinions allowed. If UNC wins tomorrow night and makes the final in the ACC tournament then they have a good chance on being on the top line. If UK IMO get's to the SEC final then they should be on the top line. My opinion, nothing you can do about it.

Well you don't have it like that when you say no opinions allowed. If UNC wins tomorrow night and makes the final in the ACC tournament then they have a good chance on being on the top line. If UK IMO get's to the SEC final then they should be on the top line. My opinion, nothing you can do about it.

Lol, cute

Riveting discussion.

Maybe no one's taking the bait because, like others have mentioned, we just had this discussion.

Overall top seed? Now that’s funny.

UNC is the better team, btw.

I’d consider this. They definitely deserve a higher seed that UNC, 10-2 quad 1 versus 8-5. LSU has a solid resume
Not really understanding the quad system.
Syracuse & NC state are considered quad 2 wins for UNC but are quad 1 wins for Virginia & Dook.

Yeah, the whole NET system is a trainwreck. It may be the worst set of rankings ever, which isn't surprising coming from the NCAA. That doesn't mean UK doesn't deserve a 1 over UNC or vice versa but their rankings don't make a lot of sense.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
or many other teams...

UK's quad 1 record is 11-4
UNC's quad 1 record is 8-5 with a head to head loss to UK.

To be honest, the only resume close to UK for the overall top seed is Virginia at 10-2.

Discuss

Because Quad 1 wins aren’t the only criteria?

Boiling everything down to "quad 1" wins is laughable.

Say that team A has a ton of wins vs the bottom of the quad 1 ranges, while team B has many vs high-caliber teams, but a few less overall. By your logic, team A has the superior resume. Ridiculous.

Yeah, the whole NET system is a trainwreck. It may be the worst set of rankings ever, which isn't surprising coming from the NCAA. That doesn't mean UK doesn't deserve a 1 over UNC or vice versa but their rankings don't make a lot of sense.
It has its flaws, but it's infinitely better than RPI.

Well that is just stupid. This thread has nothing to do with the other. The other was a question no one had the answer to, this is comparing two teams. You seem silly.

carpenters-maybe-its-you-am.jpg

Not really understanding the quad system.
Syracuse & NC state are considered quad 2 wins for UNC but are quad 1 wins for Virginia & Dook.
Just depends on where the games were played. UNC got them at home. Duke & UVA played them on the road.

Quad 1
Home 1-25
Neutral 1-50
Road 1-75

Reactions: uncfan in ky
It has its flaws, but it's infinitely better than RPI.

I don’t think it is enough better to warrant a big emphasis on it. Being a small part of an overall picture would be fine, which may be the case.

So would you say Seton Hall is better than UK?

Stop it. UK controlled the game with UNC for 40 minutes. It wasn't a game where the teams traded back and forth and one team hit a last second shot to win.
Both teams have similar resumes but UK has a h2h win.

So would you say Seton Hall is better than UK?

Stop it. UK controlled the game with UNC for 40 minutes. It wasn't a game where the teams traded back and forth and one team hit a last second shot to win.

A long time ago relatively speaking. Not that there isn’t a great argument for UK but if UNC beats Duke there is certainly a discussion. Big if though. It’s a good data point in their favor though.

Is it unfair to question whether unc has improved since that game?

A long time ago relatively speaking. Not that there isn’t a great argument for UK but if UNC beats Duke there is certainly a discussion. Big if though. It’s a good data point in their favor though.

Sure. But Kentucky has been really good the last month + when UNC has turned it on too. If UNC beats Duke again sure they are right there. But as of right now I think it's wrong to say UNC is unquestionably better.

To be honest I don't trust Coby White or Hagans in the tournament. Both guys give the ball away a ton.

Is it unfair to question whether unc has improved since that game?

UK has improved a lot too though.

Both teams have definitely gotten better. No doubt. I don’t trust any of UNC’s players too much. That’s just the way I am though.

Sure. But Kentucky has been really good the last month + when UNC has turned it on too. If UNC beats Duke again sure they are right there. But as of right now I think it's wrong to say UNC is unquestionably better.

To be honest I don't trust Coby White or Hagans in the tournament. Both guys give the ball away a ton.

UK has improved a lot too though.
I think Kentucky is very good. But it could definitely be argued that from December to March, unc is the most improved team. I don't know if it means they are better than UK. But I think you would see a much different unc team in the tournament than you did in December. That's why I don't think 80-72 was a good response for a UK fan. I know it wasn't you, but....

I think Kentucky is very good. But it could definitely be argued that from December to March, unc is the most improved team. I don't know if it means they are better than UK. But I think you would see a much different unc team in the tournament than you did in December. That's why I don't think 80-72 was a good response for a UK fan. I know it wasn't you, but....

Nah that's fine and I don't really disagree. But UK won that game comfortably and they've improved a lot since as well (with Travis at least). I think they are a tough matchup for UNC.

UNC has played
5 games this season versus the net top 5. 6 versus the net top 9 and 7 versus the net top 11.

I am not talking about using neutral/home gimmicks to get to quad 1. I am talking about the top ranked in net teams.

W vs number 1.
L vs number 2
W/? Versus number 3
L vs number 5
L vs number 9
W vs number 11

Needless to say... Your quad win tallies are not in context and don't exist in a vacuum.

Nah that's fine and I don't really disagree. But UK won that game comfortably and they've improved a lot since as well (with Travis at least). I think they are a tough matchup for UNC.

I do agree with you that UK, with Reid full healthy, is a tough matchup for UNC inside. That game was one of the worst UNC played all year, with the exception of probably Louisville and Michigan, and if I recall correctly UK was unusually hot from 3. I don't really want to see UK in our bracket, but that game wasn't indicative of the margin between the two. A good night for UK and an ugly one from UNC. Regardless, I don't think a single non-conference game in December is going to weigh all that heavily with the committee.

This thread is like watching too billionaires argue over who is leaving the tip. Annoying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT