ADVERTISEMENT

Is UNC a tourney team even with Anthony?

I wonder if the fine folks over at THR are taking shots at poor ole gosh dang Roy for losing to a cupcake team like they did to coach K and Cal for losing to lesser teams?

You have seen the signs.

All bullshit aside when we played UNC last year the only team I thought who gave Texas more space on the perimeter was Grand Canyon University.
The school who advertises on TV and is coached by Dan Marjele.

When it comes down to it...

A poorly coached Roy Williams team gets outrebounded and gets beat on the fast break points.

Don't know if they are there yet.

Think they get into the tournament but it will be as a 8,9 or 10.

Losing their top 5 scorers from last year is obviously the biggest factor from a season ago. Roy typically only deals with high turnover after a championship season. I expect losing 4-6 players a year to be the norm going forward. Top 50 recruits just don't stick around very long. Can't underestimate the importance of continuity.

Most people thought that UNC wouldn't drop a beat this year because they were getting two of the top grad transfers on the market in Christian Keeling and Justin Pierce. Some expected both of these guys to start. They have both been extremely underwhelming. I doubt Roy ever goes after a grad transfer again - unless the player is coming from a power conference (ala Cam Johnson), or if he's just trying to fill-out the roster. Keeling and Pierce were expected to be major contributors. Not only are they not major contributors, they're not even good role players.

Wofford wouldn't have been an embarrassing loss last year. But this Wofford team is ho-hum, if you ask me. They don't look especially sharp on offense at all. They're not completely abysmal. But I'd be surprised if they finished higher than 4th in the Southern Conference (Furman, ETSU, UNCG). So yes, a very, very bad loss.

Losing their top 5 scorers from last year is obviously the biggest factor from a season ago. Roy typically only deals with high turnover after a championship season. I expect losing 4-6 players a year to be the norm going forward. Top 50 recruits just don't stick around very long. Can't underestimate the importance of continuity.

Most people thought that UNC wouldn't drop a beat this year because they were getting two of the top grad transfers on the market in Christian Keeling and Justin Pierce. Some expected both of these guys to start. They have both been extremely underwhelming. I doubt Roy ever goes after a grad transfer again - unless the player is coming from a power conference (ala Cam Johnson), or if he's just trying to fill-out the roster. Keeling and Pierce were expected to be major contributors. Not only are they not major contributors, they're not even good role players.

Wofford wouldn't have been an embarrassing loss last year. But this Wofford team is ho-hum, if you ask me. They don't look especially sharp on offense at all. They're not completely abysmal. But I'd be surprised if they finished higher than 4th in the Southern Conference (Furman, ETSU, UNCG). So yes, a very, very bad loss.
Agree with most of what you said.
Let’s be honest, with Cole & Leaky, UNC wins easily.
Not a bad loss considering UNC was without two starters, one of them being easily their best player.

Not a bad loss considering UNC was without two starters, one of them being easily their best player.

Aht aht aht, losses can’t be blamed on injuries per UNC fans last season. UNC non injured players are still better than Wofford’s. Roy gotta develop that bench.

Aht aht aht, losses can’t be blamed on injuries per UNC fans last season. UNC non injured players are still better than Wofford’s. Roy gotta develop that bench.

You saying Roy has to develop a bench is crazy since K hasn’t done it more times than not. You must drop in on THR often because you have no problem repeating what they say. DI has the same type of crowd and I’m sure you know this. My Heels still suck.

Would they have won with those two guys? Probably. I would argue that it wouldn't have come easily, however. UNC didn't exactly steamroll past the last few mid-majors that they've played this year, Gardner-Webb and Elon. Those two schools are ranked 237th and 319th by KenPom.

Also, neither Anthony or Black are shooting the ball really well. And Anthony's assist to turnover ratio of 0.9 is abysmal. I think UNC will make the tournament this year, provided the CA injury isn't serious. Just think they're gonna have to battle to really earn their way to the NCAAs.

Reactions: Quavarius
The same amount of Evansville players that UK recruited.

I didn't hear any UK fans bitching about injuries against Evansville. I certainly didn't say a word about it. Fact is if your 6-8 guys aren't good enough to beat Woffford at home then you're probably not very good. And, they've beat your ass 2/3. And, you've lost 4, 3 in a row. Before Christmas.

Last edited:
You saying Roy has to develop a bench is crazy since K hasn’t done it more times than not. You must drop in on THR often because you have no problem repeating what they say. DI has the same type of crowd and I’m sure you know this. My Heels still suck.

Just supplying the same advice we had to hear last year. If it don’t apply, don’t reply!

UNC plays Gonzaga on the road tomorrow night. If they don't get Cole Anthony back, that game could get ugly real quick.

How serious is the Anthony injury? Anybody know?

I didn't hear any UK fans bitching about injuries against Evansville. I certainly didn't say a word about it. Fact is if your 6-8 guys aren't good enough to beat Woffford at home then you're probably not very good. And, they've beat your ass 2/3. And, you've lost 4, 3 in a row. Before Christmas.
Didn’t realize UK was missing a top 5 draft pick vs Evansville, my bad

Oh so now we have changed from "we lost because of injuries" to "we lost because an injury to a top 5 draft pick"? Got it. I don't remember UK getting the same consideration in 2013 when the overall #6 went down. The difference being I admit UK was bad with him (although they likely make the tourney) and you won't admit UNC sucks. They look like an NIT team right now.

Last edited:
Luckily none of those fans here are like that, at least I hadn't seen them but we do suck royally so I know everyone if gonna have fun with it.
It is funny to listen to fans of other programs pile on certain programs when they aren't at the top of their game. It is almost as if they need great programs to struggle a bit. Almost as if they need something to cheer for because their own programs aren't worth a darn and aren't going to win anything important.

Losing their top 5 scorers from last year is obviously the biggest factor from a season ago. Roy typically only deals with high turnover after a championship season. I expect losing 4-6 players a year to be the norm going forward. Top 50 recruits just don't stick around very long.

Agreed.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Ok and vice versa. If you weren’t the fan making those comments, I wasn’t speaking directly to you, thought I made that clear.

You initially said UNC fans. You didn’t drop names or you should of replied on the forum that you saw those comments. It’s all good, we suck, you guys are laughing, it’s suppose to be like that.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I never thought Anthony to Oregon was ever gonna happen, and he may have been saying it was between those two schools just to please Uncle Phil. I hope it's not serious because they need him to have a good tourney team.
Tell you what though, I'd much rather have Pritchard and his old pal/HS team mate, 5th year grad transfer Mathis for a year. Mathis didn't shoot well in the Bahamas, but he's been a great three pt. shooter in all the other games and has excellent shot selection.Anthony acts like he's read hot every night, and he's not. No doubt he will be a much better NBA prospect, but having one guy heave up so many bad shots just isn't Roy's style. UNC played well vs Oregon and did so by relying more heavily on Brooks and Baycot.

Last edited:
Oh so now we have changed from "we lost because of injuries" to "we lost because an injury to a top 5 draft pick"? Got it. maker too. I don't remember UK getting the same consideration in 2013 when the overall #6 went down. The difference being I admit UK was bad with him (although they likely make the tourney) and you won't admit UNC sucks. They look like an NIT team right now.
Oh I’ve admitted that UNC looks like shit but I still say that UNC beats them with Cole & leaky.
You don’t like my opinion, move on

Oh I’ve admitted that UNC looks like shit but I still say that UNC beats them with Cole & leaky.
You don’t like my opinion, move on

You can "say" that but there isn't anything to indicate its true. And I'll move along when I get ready. Don't like my opinion, you move along.

You quoted me first there sparky.

Roy'sI never thought Anthony to Oregon was ever gonna happen, and he may have been saying it was between those two schools just to please Uncle Phil. I hope it's not serious because they need him to have a good tourney team.
Tell you what though, I'd much rather have Pritchard and his old pal/HS team mate, 5th year grad transfer Mathis for a year. Mathis didn't shoot well in the Bahamas, but he's been a great three pt. shooter in all the other games and has excellent shot selection.Anthony acts like he's read hot every night, and he's not. No doubt he will be a much better NBA prospect, but having one guy heave up so many bad shots just isn't Roy's style. UNC played well vs Oregon and did so by relying more heavily on Brooks and Baycot.

Pritchard is playing like an All-American this year. Can't imagine what Oregon will look like with Dante and Juiston in the lineup. Legit Final Four team, IMO.

You initially said UNC fans. You didn’t drop names or you should of replied on the forum that you saw those comments. It’s all good, we suck, you guys are laughing, it’s suppose to be like that.

I said “some” UNC fans and responded to the poster who made the excuse.

And yes, you suck and we are laughing, but I do wish your players a speedy recovery because we know injuries suck!

Just supplying the same advice we had to hear last year. If it don’t apply, don’t reply!

Is it that difficult for you to provide a thought or opinion of your own? Perhaps it is but trying wouldn't be a bad thing.

They certainly don’t look like an NCAA tournament team. I’ll hold out hope that they turn it around, but if not, I hope some of their younger guys at least show some promise and gain experience that they can take into next season.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

No, but last season Duke lost to UNC because the #1 pick in the draft was injured. What many are saying is, UNC will say you can't blame losses on players being hurt, but at the same time, some UNC fans are saying they didn't have Cole, which is why they lost.

I'm not saying you said that, but just a double standard with many UNC Fans.

ADVERTISEMENT