ADVERTISEMENT

"Is the SEC Really the Best Conference This Year?"

The SEC has an 8-6 record vs the B12, won the conference meet and Auburn is steamrolling through conference play so far. Our weak OOC has done nothing to the conference.

That’s the whole point. A team that didn’t get an opportunity to really prove itself in the OOC is steamrolling the SEC. Is Auburn just THAT good? Or is the SEC getting steamrolled because there are a bunch of solid teams but no top 10 teams?

The advanced metrics have the SEC 4th, but essentially tied with the Big East for 3rd.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
According to my advanced metrics...
giphy.gif

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Do what now? I have not followed that since the first week of the season.

Okay. Well I was in front. By a solid amount.

And the first thing I did was pick the higher ranked team in KenPom. Then I made adjustments based on injuries, eye test, and game location. Then I made further adjustments using advanced stats to focus on efg%, off rebound %, and turnover %. If my eye test and adjustments were a coin flip, I broke the tie with higher ranked team on kenpom.

Okay. Well I was in front. By a solid amount.

And the first thing I did was pick the higher ranked team in KenPom. Then I made adjustments based on injuries, eye test, and game location. Then I made further adjustments using advanced stats to focus on efg%, off rebound %, and turnover %. If my eye test and adjustments were a coin flip, I broke the tie with higher ranked team on kenpom.
Why did it stop halfway through?

That’s the whole point. A team that didn’t get an opportunity to really prove itself in the OOC is steamrolling the SEC. Is Auburn just THAT good? Or is the SEC getting steamrolled because there are a bunch of solid teams but no top 10 teams?

The advanced metrics have the SEC 4th, but essentially tied with the Big East for 3rd.
Were certainly not the best conference but I can say this is the best the conference has been from top to bottom in several years.
But at the same time the two best programs are having very mediocre seasons and one of the worst programs is having a historic year .
We have about 6 or 7 tournament teams and 4 capable of making the 16 .
Probably only 1 or 2 capable of Final Four .
I don't think any are capable of beating Villanova or Virginia though .

Reactions: GE Nole
So FF is the measurement? USC was a final four last year. UK 4 of the past 8.

Anyway, we'll see how this years tournament checks out and if anyone dismisses your criteria at the end of the season.

Southern Cal didn’t make the final 4 last year

Reactions: GE Nole
Were certainly not the best conference but I can say this is the best the conference has been from top to bottom in several years.
But at the same time the two best programs are having very mediocre seasons and one of the worst programs is having a historic year .
We have about 6 or 7 tournament teams and 4 capable of making the 16 .
Probably only 1 or 2 capable of Final Four .
I don't think any are capable of beating Villanova or Virginia though .

This is pretty accurate, IMO. Said something similar to Diego. SEC isn’t the best conference this year but it’s a hell of a lot better than it was a few years ago.

Reactions: cb20476
ADVERTISEMENT