ADVERTISEMENT

Is it too soon to talk about Duke 40-0 next year with all that talent coming?

Never to early. Put the pressure on Duke. Nova or Kansas will be looking at repeating

Have you taken a look at the roster Kansas will have next year?
Absolutely loaded!!!

Next year was supposed to be our year. This year was a write off.

Reactions: Kiimohawk
If trent and Duval go, talent doesn't mesh. Same as UK this year with a whole bunch of combo forwards and mediocre guard play.

Reactions: heelpharm
I think there was only one Duke fan who was talking that noise this year. If so, it is the same one who always post crazy optimistic nonsense about Duke at the beginning of every season. Maybe not even that though. I don't really remember.

If trent and Duval go, talent doesn't mesh. Same as UK this year with a whole bunch of combo forwards and mediocre guard play.
Bolden and DeLaurier don't exactly make for an imposing front court either. But they will probably land a commitment from Wiseman and get him to reclassify to 2018.... :confused:

Bolden and DeLaurier don't exactly make for an imposing front court either. But they will probably land a commitment from Wiseman and get him to reclassify to 2018.... :confused:

Haha, he is going to Memphis (though I know you were just joking) but they do probably land Montgomery.

Well, it's possible. The AAU guys I know around here who know plenty of Memphis people seem to think otherwise. I have no cares though so good luck to you, haha.
It helps that UK has already secured a commitment from Jeffries. I have heard some Memphis peeps think he will not ultimately stay committed, and switch to Memphis. Problem with that idea is that he committed to UK knowing full well that Penny was about to be the new Memphis coach. All comes down to what Wiseman wants. He has wanted to play for Cal for a very long time but maybe he has grown comfortable with Penny. If it's truly a business decision I have to think UK is still the leader, being that Penny is unproven at the college level.

False, we get Tre Stones next year at PG and Bolden will be our center unless he mysteriously transfers/goes overseas.

PG: Tre Jones
SG: RJ Barrett
SF: Cameron Reddish
PF: Zion Williamson
C: Marques Bolden

The pieces all fit. I know I’m the Duke homer on this board but RJ Barrett is the real deal and has a Kobe like killer instinct. I like our chances in close games next year.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
False, we get Tre Stones next year at PG and Bolden will be our center unless he mysteriously transfers/goes overseas.

The pieces all fit. I know I’m the Duke homer on this board but RJ Barrett is the real deal and has a Kobe like killer instinct. I like our chances in close games next year.
Offensively they'll be hard to stop. Defensively.... meh. K is probably going to be playing zone next year too. None of them are defensive stoppers and none are consistent long range shooters. They should prepare for defenses to box it in on them and force them to shoot it, much like UK 2009-10.

Offensively they'll be hard to stop. Defensively.... meh. K is probably going to be playing zone next year too. None of them are defensive stoppers and none are consistent long range shooters. They should prepare for defenses to box it in on them and force them to shoot it, much like UK 2009-10.
Are you sure about that? I feel like we’ve gotten trapped into this narrative that all the good offensive OADs go to Duke and the good defensive OADs go to UK.

Who knows how good they’ll be on defense until we see them play in college.

Are you sure about that? I feel like we’ve gotten trapped into this narrative that all the good offensive OADs go to Duke and the good defensive OADs go to UK.

Who knows how good they’ll be on defense until we see them play in college.
It's not about that at all. I am talking specifically about Jones, Barrett, Zion, and Reddish in what their strengths and weaknesses are. All have the ability to dominate offensively but all also play questionable defense (as do most HS players at this point in their careers). Of course it's mostly stuff that can be corrected. Reddish probably has the best upside as a defender. Zion does too but he's so big he'll have trouble guarding quicker, smaller guys. Barrett is just not as athletic as a lot of guys and seems disinterested in defense a lot. Jones is small and not really athletic, will have trouble staying in front of most high major point guards. Just my opinion, of course. Time will tell. The length will certainly help though, regardless of defensive prowess.

Reactions: Matt Laurer

There's like no shooting in that lineup. Barrett gonna struggle penetrating against a packed lane. And on the defensive end... Yikes

There's like no shooting in that lineup. Barrett gonna struggle penetrating against a packed lane. And on the defensive end... Yikes
Fair point, we really need Gary Trent Jr to come back.

How is this lineup better than Duke's lineup this year again? You jumped the #1 player of 2018s class up to 2017 to try and overload the deck this year.

Why should I assume this lineup is better than this years?

Fair point, we really need Gary Trent Jr to come back.

If Trent comes back slide Zion to the 5 and it would help on the offensive end. I still think defensively it is gonna be another struggle. Though the biggest sieve in Allen is gone so the ceiling will be higher on that end.
Trent averaged almost 15 a game on 40% shooting. I bet he'd be picked in the teens so he should probably go.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan

I'm sorry but Bolden is terrible. Absolutely awful.

If Trent comes back slide Zion to the 5 and it would help on the offensive end. I still think defensively it is gonna be another struggle. Though the biggest sieve in Allen is gone so the ceiling will be higher on that end.
Trent averaged almost 15 a game on 40% shooting. I bet he'd be picked in the teens so he should probably go.
A 6'6 center? And people were thinking PJ at the 5 was undersized...

He’s not projected in the 1st round by Givony and he shot like crap the last 2 games, don’t see him being drafted in the 1st round. Obviously he can still choose to leave anyway.

If both Bolden and Trent come back, I hope K has the guts to bring Zion off the bench as the 1st guy. He’s our most hyped recruit but I feel like he’s the least developed skill wise.

I'm sorry but Bolden is terrible. Absolutely awful.
LOL have you watched him play the last 2 months? He’ll be one of the best big men in the country next year if he comes back to college.

LOL have you watched him play the last 2 months? He’ll be one of the best big men in the country next year if he comes back to college.

I don't know about that. He is efficient scoring wise but doesn't shot a lot. That tends to go down with increased usage. He is an average rebounder. Good shot blocker though. I think he will be solid.

Barkley mentioned duke set another record first team to every make the NCAA after losing 6 players this far. Duke lost will be 14 players in 3 years. And people say duke isn’t doing anything with one and done. How does 2 titles sound in 7 years.

Barkley mentioned duke set another record first team to every make the NCAA after losing 6 players this far. Duke lost will be 14 players in 3 years. And people say duke isn’t doing anything with one and done. How does 2 titles sound in 7 years.
Were there any OAD's on the 2010 team?

It will be 2 titles out of the past nine years, but that's beyond the point. First, they didn't have any one-and-done players in 2010. Second, while the 2015 squad had Okafor, Jones, and Winslow they also had major contributions from Cook, Jefferson, Suliamon, and M Jones. That's no different than what UK won with in 2012. K might retire if he can't win it all with 3 top 5 draft picks next season.

It will be 2 titles out of the past nine years, but that's beyond the point. First, they didn't have any one-and-done players in 2010. Second, while the 2015 squad had Okafor, Jones, and Winslow they also had major contributions from Cook, Jefferson, Suliamon, and M Jones. That's no different than what UK won with in 2012. K might retire if he can't win it all with 3 top 5 draft picks next season.

I think that was the year sulaimon got booted to Maryland wasn't it?

I don't care how much talent you have in college YOU WILL LOSE A GAME. Especially when you are relying on 18/19 year olds as your star players. It's best to lose in the regular season when you can learn from it. And the ACC is too strong to allow such a scenario. Even the middle of the road schools are tough to beat on the road during conference play. Plus Duke challenges themselves out of conference so much that going undefeated is kind of a joke to anticipate it.

Reactions: 78Cyclones
None of the Duke freshmen coming in are elite shooters. Lots of playmakers, but that can easily be neutralized when you pack it in and dare the freshmen to take 3's. This 2018 team has a better mixture of inside/outside play. Kansas should be the #1 team heading into 2019.

None of the Duke freshmen coming in are elite shooters. Lots of playmakers, but that can easily be neutralized when you pack it in and dare the freshmen to take 3's. This 2018 team has a better mixture of inside/outside play. Kansas should be the #1 team heading into 2019.

Reddish has a chance to be a really good shooter. Though he's more streaky than good right now. Barrett is a slasher not a shooter and Zion makes Duval look like Ray Allen.

Reactions: dukedevilz
He’s not projected in the 1st round by Givony and he shot like crap the last 2 games, don’t see him being drafted in the 1st round. Obviously he can still choose to leave anyway.

If both Bolden and Trent come back, I hope K has the guts to bring Zion off the bench as the 1st guy. He’s our most hyped recruit but I feel like he’s the least developed skill wise.

You cite Bolden playing poorly the last 2 games, then say he will be one of the best big men in CBB next year. If that is true, he should just go pro. NBA drafts on potential.

Reddish has a chance to be a really good shooter. Though he's more streaky than good right now. Barrett is a slasher not a shooter and Zion makes Duval look like Ray Allen.

Yep. Pretty sure you can't win a national title if you don't have multiple good/elite shooters. Not crazy excited about how the freshmen compliment each other, to be honest. Would have loved to snagged Cole Swider. Maybe Alex O'Connell gets more minutes, and hopefully Tre/RJ can be somewhat reliable. If not, it might be a long season.

Yep. Pretty sure you can't win a national title if you don't have multiple good/elite shooters. Not crazy excited about how the freshmen compliment each other, to be honest. Would have loved to snagged Cole Swider. Maybe Alex O'Connell gets more minutes, and hopefully Tre/RJ can be somewhat reliable. If not, it might be a long season.

Let's be honest. You guys haven't had a point guard since Tyus left. If his brother is anywhere close to as good as he was it'll be a huge upgrade over Duval. Reddish is gonna be damn good. So will Barrett, though I do think it'll take some time for the to mesh. Zion can be a beast inside if he buys in and works on his conditioning. The pieces might not fit the best but you still will have the most talented team in the country, though that didn't help the last 2 years.

Let's be honest. You guys haven't had a point guard since Tyus left. If his brother is anywhere close to as good as he was it'll be a huge upgrade over Duval. Reddish is gonna be damn good. So will Barrett, though I do think it'll take some time for the to mesh. Zion can be a beast inside if he buys in and works on his conditioning. The pieces might not fit the best but you still will have the most talented team in the country, though that didn't help the last 2 years.

I agree with most of what your saying, but Duval is better than what he showed. He excels in the open court and getting into the paint. With Duke choosing not to run this year and playing 2 bigs, it kind of hurt Duval. There was no room to operate for him.

Top 3 teams next year?

Kansas
C - Udoka Azubuike
F - Dedric Lawson
SF - LeGerald Vick
G - Quentin Grimes
G - Devon Dotson

Duke
C - Marques Bolden
F - Zion Williamson
SF - Cam Reddish
SG - RJ Barrett