ADVERTISEMENT

Is It Really About the Ice Cream or a Larger Societal Issue?

KYtotheCore

Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
Ice cream at the University of Wisconsin-Madison isn’t just ice cream: It’s a point of contention for many students because it’s apparently not inclusive enough.

What are the details?

Members of the student council at the Madison, Wisconsin, university are requesting that the college change ingredients in the school’s official ice cream. One ingredient, in particular, in the dessert violates some students’ religious dietary restrictions.

They’ve even gone so far to draft legislation, which they titled, “Ice Cream for All,” to make the ice cream more inclusive. At the time of this writing, the legislation has eight sponsors, including the chair, vice chair, and secretary of the Associated Students of Madison Student Council.

The university’s official ice cream, the Babcock, reportedly contains a beef gelatin additive. According to “Ice Cream for All,” this effectively ruins the ice cream experience for some minority students, rendering “certain communities such as the Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, and vegetarian unable to enjoy it without violating their beliefs.”

Though the council is intended to represent a student-type government, it cannot effect change, and can only make recommendations to the university on the ice cream. If the resolution passes, even though it may not convince the university to change the ingredients, the council intends to condemn university-sponsored events that feature the Babcock ice cream. Also, if passed, the council will recommend that the school officially acknowledge that the university’s official ice cream marginalizes some students.

A spokesperson for the University of Wisconsin-Madison told Campus Reform that the university already has inclusive alternatives on hand, producing and selling “‘super premium’ ice cream, sherbet, and Greek frozen yogurt options that are made with a plant-based stabilizer and are gelatin-free.”

The spokesperson noted that there is also the option of “lactose-free ice cream for people who are lactose intolerant.”

What else?
Council members want their own version of the school ice cream, however, because they believe they should have the best dessert experience possible. The legislation adds that “it would be a gross act of discrimination to continue to deprive some minority students” of the experience of eating the ice cream.

Symbolic issues like these have always and will always play a critical role in whether marginalized students and people feel welcome, included, and connected to their community,” a portion of the legislation reads.

The legislation will be voted upon on Wednesday.

(Campus Reform)

tumblr_oa7owdUWlc1s22rc8o1_500.gif

This is the kind of shit people should get punched in the face for.

I fully expected to see Datt in here telling us the vanilla ice cream is racist and how it somehow promotes a white supremacy culture.

I fully expected to see Datt in here telling us the vanilla ice cream is racist and how it somehow promotes a white supremacy culture.
When I read the part about it being considered a "symbolic issue", I thought how can people read so much into little things. So many of us would just consider it ice cream.

It reminds me of Freud's saying;

quote-sometimes-a-cigar-is-just-a-cigar-sigmund-freud-10-28-15.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. This is the idiotic shit the young kids worry about.
And its an attention grab---lets see how far we can take it. This isn't an issue.....but what happens if everybody caves to this kind of stuff bc the media will blow it up. Then where do we land?

Reactions: Da_Bull and SNU0821
When I read the part about it being considered a "symbolic issue", I thought how can people read so much into little things. So many of us would just consider it ice cream.

It reminds me of Freud's saying;

quote-sometimes-a-cigar-is-just-a-cigar-sigmund-freud-10-28-15.jpg

Just because you can’t see the deeper issue doesn’t mean there isn’t a deeper issue. You act like we don’t live in a white supremist culture.

And its an attention grab---lets see how far we can take it. This isn't an issue.....but what happens if everybody caves to this kind of stuff bc the media will blow it up. Then where do we land?

I don’t think you’re the judge on how sincere people are in their causes....

Reactions: toonces11
I don’t think you’re the judge on how sincere people are in their causes....
Thats one of my main complaints---its a non-sense issue, yet we will have a contingent of people that will back this tooth and nail. Whats wrong with saying---get the **** outta here with that garbage...grow up

My company furnishes frozen quench pops to help fight the heat. Very high in sugar. I'm diabetic. Do I have a stance, or should I just drink from the fountain? Who's with me? I know it's not as life threatening as animal fat in the ice cream, but....

Reactions: KYtotheCore
My company furnishes frozen quench pops to help fight the heat. Very high in sugar. I'm diabetic. Do I have a stance, or should I just drink from the fountain? Who's with me? I know it's not as life threatening as animal fat in the ice cream, but....
Time to take a stand!

tenor.gif

Hah! Who would have thought of that? I certainly get it... if whole groups of people can’t eat the “official” ice cream of the university they go to (who even heard of that before?) you might as well change the one strange ingredient to make it edible for those groups. I mean.. why not? And symbolic in that it is a small gesture that shows that they are considering all of their students.

Hah! Who would have thought of that? I certainly get it... if whole groups of people can’t eat the “official” ice cream of the university they go to (who even heard of that before?) you might as well change the one strange ingredient to make it edible for those groups. I mean.. why not? And symbolic in that it is a small gesture that shows that they are considering all of their students.
That's what I said....got an eye roll.

Thats one of my main complaints---its a non-sense issue, yet we will have a contingent of people that will back this tooth and nail. Whats wrong with saying---get the **** outta here with that garbage...grow up
You want to tell people who would like an accommodation for their religious beliefs to GTMLO.

ADVERTISEMENT