ADVERTISEMENT

In a game of one on one, who you taking?

This would actually be awesome

If we get enough nominations we can do a randomized 32 man tournament with it.
how do we determine who win's each matchup? Vote? I don't like voting, it just becomes a blue blood popularity contest.

I have a couple suggestions:

1. let me decide since I'm the only verified neutral fan on this site. I'll even sit out the decisions on any matchups that feature DePaul or LSU.

2. Let all the non blue blood fans vote, but don't let the blue blood fans vote. Except UCLA since there aren't any of their fans here.

C. @dukedevilz decides but no Duke players in the event.

Could ban the fans of the school from voting, just straight up vote, and/or nominate a 1-3 person council which will judge the merits of all arguments presented.

Lmfao I don't know how in depth we need to go on it lol.

how do we determine who win's each matchup? Vote? I don't like voting, it just becomes a blue blood popularity contest.

1. let me decide since I'm the only verified neutral fan on this site. I'll even sit out the decisions on any matchups that feature DePaul or LSU.

2. Let all the non blue blood fans vote, but don't let the blue blood fans vote. Except UCLA since there aren't any of their fans here.

This is like Arkansas Pine Bluff trying to dictate how the NCAA Tournament works. Let’s just eliminate Mark McGuire or whoever you said now and not worry about it.

Could ban the fans of the school from voting, just straight up vote, and/or nominate a 1-3 person council which will judge the merits of all arguments presented.

Lmfao I don't know how in depth we need to go on it lol.
cmon, this is VERY. F-ING. IMPORTANT.

This is like Arkansas Pine Bluff trying to dictate how the NCAA Tournament works. Let’s just eliminate Mark McGuire or whoever you said now and not worry about it.
I've got DePaul's Mark McGurire over Duke's Cherokee Rosa Parks in 1v1 by at least 4 points.

• Haha
Reactions: Sparty_57

That'd be tough. Some guys really are more suited for the ISO game. What qualities would I look for in the ultimate 1v1 player? Somebody who can reasonably guard 1-5 (so no Iverson, Kyrie, or Curry), somebody who can create separation, someone who can shoot form the perimeter, and someone who also has an inside game.

There's 3 guys I would definitely have in my Semifinals...

Michael Jordan, North Carolina
Larry Bird, Indiana State
Kevin Durant, Texas

I think Zion has merit for being the 4th guy. His efficiency was off the charts. But, I'll take him out out the running because of the Duke bias.

4th spot might be between Kawhi Leonard (San Diego State), James Harden (Arizona State), Julius Erving (UMass), Penny Hardaway (Memphis), and Carmelo Anthony (Syracuse).

That'd be tough. Some guys really are more suited for the ISO game. What qualities would I look for in the ultimate 1v1 player? Somebody who can reasonably guard 1-5 (so no Iverson, Kyrie, or Curry), somebody who can create separation, someone who can shoot form the perimeter, and someone who also has an inside game.

There's 3 guys I would definitely have in my Semifinals...

Michael Jordan, North Carolina
Larry Bird, Indiana State
Kevin Durant, Texas

I think Zion has merit for being the 4th guy. His efficiency was off the charts. But, I'll take him out out the running because of the Duke bias.

4th spot might be between Kawhi Leonard (San Diego State), James Harden (Arizona State), Julius Erving (UMass), Penny Hardaway (Memphis), and Carmelo Anthony (Syracuse).

This is why we need to not allow Duke players if DD is the one judging.

Not sure I'm buying stock in Zion with his non existent perimeter game and poor defense.

iu

This is why we need to not allow Duke players if DD is the one judging.

Not sure I'm buying stock in Zion with his non existent perimeter game and poor defense.

Yeah, I'm fine if Zion isn't one of the finalists.

He shot 34% from 3, though. Not great, but not a complete liability either. In a 1v1 game, even if 3s count as 2s, Zion shouldn't mess with anything other than shots within a few feet of the basket.

Remember, this is how they would have fared in college. Zion was a menace in college on the defensive end. A rim protector who was also constantly getting in the passing lanes. He was one of the 4 finalists for the NABC Defensive POY. Averaged around 2 blocks/2 steals per game.

Reactions: cdbearde
Wilt would've easily scored on anybody listed itt & if they weren't careful, he'd have scored with their lady and they mama, too.

God bless'm..

Yeah, I'm fine if Zion isn't one of the finalists.

He shot 34% from 3, though. Not great, but not a complete liability either. In a 1v1 game, even if 3s count as 2s, Zion shouldn't mess with anything other than shots within a few feet of the basket.

Remember, this is how they would have fared in college. Zion was a menace in college on the defensive end. A rim protector who was also constantly getting in the passing lanes. He was one of the 4 finalists for the NABC Defensive POY. Averaged around 2 blocks/2 steals per game.

I'm sure all those 3s were catch and shoot. That ain't happening in 1v1.

Would Zion even beat Grant Hill in the Duke regional?

Wilt would've easily scored on anybody listed itt & if they weren't careful, he'd have scored with their lady and they mama, too.

God bless'm..
only issue with Wilt is how does he get the ball from the top of the key to his kitchen in the low post?

• Haha
the fans of each team should decide who their representative is, maybe via a mini tournament of its own.

I'm sure all those 3s were catch and shoot. That ain't happening in 1v1.

Would Zion even beat Grant Hill in the Duke regional?

That's true, they were predominantly catch and shoot. He shoots so efficiently within the paint, though. 74.7% on his 2-pointers at Duke. Almost doesn't make sense to shoot anything more than a few feet away from the basket.

You could make a case for Grant Hill and probably Jayson Tatum and Kyrie Irving, too. I'd still lean towards Zion, given his ridiculous efficiency. The argument against him could simply be that 3s in a 1v1 (2 pts in this setting) are comparatively more advantageous than in a normal game.

In a normal game, if you make 50% of your 2s that's the equivalent of connecting on 33.3% of your 3s. If the made shots are only worth 1 and 2 points respectively, the traditional 3 is noticeably more potent. So, if Zion is making 75% of his 1-pointers, he can be matched simply by making 3 out of every 8 3-pointers (37.5%). Which is more than doable for the caliber of players we're talking about.

Being able to create for yourself, being able to hit the 3, and being able to defend would all be key here. Height is advantageous if you can stay with your opponent. Being able to check up in guard position eliminates running downhill at the defense and being harder to defend.

That's true, they were predominantly catch and shoot. He shoots so efficiently within the paint, though. 74.7% on his 2-pointers at Duke. Almost doesn't make sense to shoot anything more than a few feet away from the basket.

You could make a case for Grant Hill and probably Jayson Tatum and Kyrie Irving, too. I'd still lean towards Zion, given his ridiculous efficiency. The argument against him could simply be that 3s in a 1v1 (2 pts in this setting) are comparatively more advantageous than in a normal game.

In a normal game, if you make 50% of your 2s that's the equivalent of connecting on 33.3% of your 3s. If the made shots are only worth 1 and 2 points respectively, the traditional 3 is noticeably more potent. So, if Zion is making 75% of his 1-pointers, he can be matched simply by making 3 out of every 8 3-pointers (37.5%). Which is more than doable for the caliber of players we're talking about.
I think Kyrie's height knocks him out of the discussion.

I think to do this right we need to know how much 3s are worth. I suggest 2s and 3s so 3s aren't worth too much, F-ing hate 1s and 2s.

Are we disrespecting Laettner by not even mentioning him? We’re talking about how they were in college right? He was at least 10x the player Tatum was in college.

I think Kyrie's height knocks him out of the discussion.

I think to do this right we need to know how much 3s are worth. I suggest 2s and 3s so 3s aren't worth too much, F-ing hate 1s and 2s.
3s are worth 2. Rules have been established already. Catch and shoot and starting with space is negated already to hurt the 3 shooters.

Rashad McCants, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Harrison Barnes, or Antawn Jamison from UNC would be good to consider.

Rashad McCants, Vince Carter, Jerry Stackhouse, Harrison Barnes, or Antawn Jamison from UNC would be good to consider.
I hear ya, but there’s that guy named Michael Jordan who negates every single person who’s ever played the game of basketball.

Gimme Wilt. You could argue that he’d struggle to score, but so long we aren’t playing soft, I’m not sure any can score on him. Dude was 7 ft tall, had crazy long arms, could jump through the roof, and ran like a gazelle.

Reactions: cooljeff
Gimme Wilt. You could argue that he’d struggle to score, but so long we aren’t playing soft, I’m not sure any can score on him. Dude was 7 ft tall, had crazy long arms, could jump through the roof, and ran like a gazelle.
could he guard the perimeter though? Something he probably never had to do in his entire career.

Are we disrespecting Laettner by not even mentioning him? We’re talking about how they were in college right? He was at least 10x the player Tatum was in college.

Laettner was the greatest Duke player of all-time. But, we're talking about how they would have performed in a game of one-on-one.

Laettner was the greatest Duke player of all-time. But, we're talking about how they would have performed in a game of one-on-one.
I understand what we're doing here. Laettner could score inside and out and could put the ball on the floor. And he was 6'11. What am I missing here in terms of his 1v1 credentials?

could he guard the perimeter though? Something he probably never had to do in his entire career.
Have you seen his old track film? Dude could run and had exceptional coordination. Yes I do believe he could guard the perimeter. Yes a smaller player could get by him if he face guarded at the perimeter but he’d be right behind him blocking his shot at the rim. Though due to his ridiculously long wingspan he wouldn’t need to face guard anybody on the perimeter. Everybody views Bill Russel as the superior defender back then and he was. Russel was exceptional at guarding fellow centers, but he couldn’t guard smaller quicker players. Wilt could, since he was by far the superior athlete. There are a few guys like Jordan who could get a shot off, or guys who were exceptional with the fade away jumper that would be tough to guard/block but most would find it difficult one on one.

Have you seen his old track film? Dude could run and had exceptional coordination. Yes I do believe he could guard the perimeter. Yes a smaller player could get by him if he face guarded at the perimeter but he’d be right behind him blocking his shot at the rim. Though due to his ridiculously long wingspan he wouldn’t need to face guard anybody on the perimeter. Everybody views Bill Russel as the superior defender back then and he was. Russel was exceptional at guarding fellow centers, but he couldn’t guard smaller quicker players. Wilt could, since he was by far the superior athlete. There are a few guys like Jordan who could get a shot off, or guys who were exceptional with the fade away jumper that would be tough to guard/block but most would find it difficult one on one.

Who's in your Kansas regional besides Wilt? I imagine Danny Manning. Pierce? Not Embiid since it is based on how they were in college.

I know Battier was all about the team, but I think he'd be a tough out one on one.

True. Battier would be a very tough matchup. Arguably the greatest Duke defender of all time; can easily guard 1-5. And he was an excellent shooter. He might be better suited for a 1-on-1 competition than a freshman Tatum.

I understand what we're doing here. Laettner could score inside and out and could put the ball on the floor. And he was 6'11. What am I missing here in terms of his 1v1 credentials?

This is true. Very, very skilled big man. I wouldn't have any issue if another Duke fan had him in their Duke regional. I just wonder how well he'd defend ultra athletic 6'6-6'8 wings.

Reactions: Sparty_57
True. Battier would be a very tough matchup. Arguably the greatest Duke defender of all time; can easily guard 1-5. And he was an excellent shooter. He might be better suited for a 1-on-1 competition than a freshman Tatum.

This is true. Very, very skilled big man. I wouldn't have any issue if another Duke fan had him in their Duke regional. I just wonder how well he'd defend ultra athletic 6'6-6'8 wings.
I don't think Tatum even makes the regional. remember, this is based on how they were in college. He was pretty much nothing special his freshman year. Shot 34% from 3. More TO's than assists.

It's recency bias to suggest he was good enough to be mentioned for this.

Forgot just how much of a monster Laettner was especially his senior year. I see Zion's 68 fg% and raise you Laettner's 57 fg% from 3 his senior year. 54 makes in 97 attempts. his 58% from 2pt wasn't bad either.

I think college Laettner is the guy from Duke. Zion would be second. Not sure either one of them could guard each other, but I give the edge to Laettner's ability to shoot over Zion.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Who's in your Kansas regional besides Wilt? I imagine Danny Manning. Pierce? Not Embiid since it is based on how they were in college.
Danny or Pierce or LaFrentz. Lafrentz was great in college. I do think people forget that he came in and averaged 15 ppg as a rookie before getting injured. Came back and still played well until his 2nd injury. Dude could have been a star if not for his health problems. Even with two broken shoulders and a bum knee, he still earned good money sitting at the end of a bench for another 10 years. Regardless, in college Raef was outstanding. I'd absolutely take him. I'd probably round it out with JoJo White or maybe Kirk Hinrich.

You can choose anyone who went to your favorite college team. Has to be their peak play while at your college. Don't argue what they did later on in the pros or such. Jordan is banned for UNC because duh.

The rules.

Game to 11. You get the ball at the key upon checking up. Alternating possession on made basket. Missed shot that hits rim has to be taken back past the 3 point line for opposing player if rebounded. Can be put back up right away otherwise. 3s worth 2. 2s worth 1.

Who you got?
Psyco T

Danny or Pierce or LaFrentz. Lafrentz was great in college. I do think people forget that he came in and averaged 15 ppg as a rookie before getting injured. Came back and still played well until his 2nd injury. Dude could have been a star if not for his health problems. Even with two broken shoulders and a bum knee, he still earned good money sitting at the end of a bench for another 10 years. Regardless, in college Raef was outstanding. I'd absolutely take him. I'd probably round it out with JoJo White or maybe Kirk Hinrich.
you don't need to justify LaFrentz, he was the next name that came to mind for me after Manning and Pierce.

Reactions: Turinturumbar
Forgot just how much of a monster Laettner was especially his senior year. I see Zion's 68 fg% and raise you Laettner's 57 fg% from 3 his senior year. 54 makes in 97 attempts. his 58% from 2pt wasn't bad either.

I think college Laettner is the guy from Duke. Zion would be second. Not sure either one of them could guard each other, but I give the edge to Laettner's ability to shoot over Zion.

Yeah, Tatum probably doesn't deserve to be in Duke's Final Four. Wasn't looking at the stats. I just remember Tatum blowing up against Virginia, and he played exceptionally well during the ACC Tournament. He was also a really solid defender - and he fits the mold of someone who can guard the 1-5.

But, Laettner and Battier would both be more deserving than Tatum. There are probably others, too.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
ADVERTISEMENT