ADVERTISEMENT

I hate this most hated list

Still trying to figure out why a sport that is disproportionately black disproportionately hates on white guys.

5 of the top 11 are white guys from Duke... further down the list is Drew Timme at #24. I presume because he flexes so much. But, you know who else flexed an awful lot? Zion. But for whatever reason, everybody loved/liked Zion in his short stint at Duke. Seemed like most UNC fans were even cool with him. It's such a weird phenomenon.

Also, why is Aaron Craft on this list? Dude played harder than anyone I can remember in recent memory. A menace to opposing guards. But, he was a joy to watch on the defensive end.

Reactions: rdgtr
Still trying to figure out why a sport that is disproportionately black disproportionately hates on white guys.

5 of the top 11 are white guys from Duke... further down the list is Drew Timme at #24. I presume because he flexes so much. But, you know who else flexed an awful lot? Zion. But for whatever reason, everybody loved/liked Zion in his short stint at Duke. Seemed like most UNC fans were even cool with him. It's such a weird phenomenon.

Also, why is Aaron Craft on this list? Dude played harder than anyone I can remember in recent memory. A menace to opposing guards. But, he was a joy to watch on the defensive end.

It is bizarre. And it isn't like it is BLACK people feeling like that... that would almost make more sense, like, someone doesn't like a different race... it is overwhelmingly WHITE people who hate on white players. Do white guys whine and act like dicks more? Do we look at white guys as having to have worked harder for it, and we don't like people who work 'too hard'? Do we look at it like "Damn white guys, they are ALREADY privileged, I don't want them succeeding in a 'minority' dominated sport!" I mean... one aspect of the Laettner hate that always got me was the whole "He is soft and privileged"... dude, the guy grew up dirt poor and is about as hard and unforgiving as can be. But still, that was always part of the Laettner hate. So... what is it?

BTW, crazy how JJ Redick has gone from being so hated to being really loved. He has knocked it OUT recently... very bright guy who can really talk.

Reactions: dukedevilz

If it makes you feel better I didn't like Zion. Or Jay Williams. Like him even less as an analyst. He's just brutal, like maybe the worst. Or Brian Davis. Or Duhon, but I did like his kid brother he was cool. Or Boozer. Or Okafor. Or Dahntay Jones. One of the bigger turds of 'em all Dahntay.. and that's saying something. Yes, he should have made this list. So maybe you are on to something with the race card here.

People hated Craft because it is believed he got away with fouling. It's just super annoying. Fans will disagree on these things I get it. Big 10 fans could weigh in on this but that would require them to leave their Big 10 thread, so we may not get the 411.

I wish Craft played for Louisville during the Pitino run he would have been awesome in our you can't call 'em all hacking system.

I wish Craft played for Louisville during the Pitino run he would have been awesome in our you can't call 'em all hacking system.

Sheesh. Yeah, hard to imagine facing a more rugged and tenacious defensive team than what Louisville already had. Craft on those Louisville teams would have been outrageous.

I mean, Drew Timme just looks like a douche. The Duke guys all have some portion of the market cornered for being a douche (Allen tripping people, Paulus flopping, and obviously the floor slapping)

I don't think it has much to do with race. Maybe the white dudes have an edge to them because they don't get the same respect or are viewed as not being as good.

Some on that list are questionable though. Like Wojo or Battier. Others should be higher (Noah, Craft)

I mean, Drew Timme just looks like a douche. The Duke guys all have some portion of the market cornered for being a douche (Allen tripping people, Paulus flopping, and obviously the floor slapping)

I don't think it has much to do with race. Maybe the white dudes have an edge to them because they don't get the same respect or are viewed as not being as good.

Some on that list are questionable though. Like Wojo or Battier. Others should be higher (Noah, Craft)
There is no question that Wojo was a douche. The acting job he was trying to pull off on Magloire, slapping the floor, etc. Wayne Turner schooling the 'ACC Defensive Player of the Year' was something I'll never forget.

There's obviously some racial element there. 15 of the 25 in the list are white, from a sport that's like 17% white. And look at the comments throughout this thread. Practically every player mentioned is white. 🤣

All hell would break loose if there was a list of most-hated soccer players and most of them were black.

Last edited:
There's obviously some racial element there. 14 of the 25 in the list are white, from a sport that's like 17% white. And look at the comments throughout this thread. Practically every player mentioned is white. 🤣

All hell would break loose if there was a list of most-hated soccer players and most of them were black.
I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just trying to think back to if there's actually a bigger douches than some of those guys, and they were black. Like, totally eliminate skin color, and most of those same guys are probably up there.

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just trying to think back to if there's actually a bigger douches than some of those guys, and they were black. Like, totally eliminate skin color, and most of those same guys are probably up there.
Some would be, but I don't think that white guys make up 60% of the biggest d-bags in the game.

11 of the top 14 guys on that list are white. I mean, come on. That's essentially an inverse of what the ratio of white-to-black players is on power 6 teams. Here's what I think a better reflection of what the most hated players may have looked like in each of the past 4 decades.

1980's
1st Team
Steve Alford, Indiana
Michael Jordan, North Carolina
Danny Ferry, Duke
Derrick Coleman, Syracuse
Patrick Ewing, Georgetown

2nd Team
Gary Payton, Oregon State
Danny Ainge, BYU
Reggie Miller, UCLA
Kelly Tripucka, Notre Dame
Ralph Sampson, Virginia

1990's
1st Team
Allen Iverson, Georgetown
Mateen Cleaves, Michigan State
Jalen Rose, Michigan
Chris Webber, Michigan
Christian Laettner, Duke

2nd Team
Bobby Hurley, Duke
Steve Wojo, Duke
Larry Johnson, UNLV
Marcus Camby, UMass
Kenyon Martin, Cincinnati

2000's
1st Team
Chris Paul, Wake Forest
JJ Redick, Duke
Aubrey Coleman, Houston
Tyler Hansbrough, UNC
Joakim Noah, Florida

2nd Team
Greg Paulus, Duke
Greivis Vasquez, Maryland
Marcus Williams- UConn
Adam Morrison, Gonzaga
Greg Oden, Ohio State

2010's
1st Team
Nate Robinson- Washington
Aaron Craft- Ohio State
Grayson Allen, Duke
Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
Draymond Green- Michigan State

2nd Team
John Wall, Kentucky
Jimmer Fredette, BYU
DeAndre Kane- Marshall/Iowa State
Greg Echenique- Creighton
Tyler Zeller- UNC

11 of the top 14 guys on that list are white. I mean, come on. That's essentially an inverse of what the ratio of white-to-black players is on power 6 teams. Here's what I think a better reflection of what the most hated players may have looked like in each of the past 4 decades.

1980's
1st Team
Steve Alford, Indiana
Michael Jordan, North Carolina
Danny Ferry, Duke
Derrick Coleman, Syracuse
Patrick Ewing, Georgetown

2nd Team
Gary Payton, Oregon State
Danny Ainge, BYU
Reggie Miller, UCLA
Kelly Tripucka, Notre Dame
Ralph Sampson, Virginia

1990's
1st Team
Allen Iverson, Georgetown
Mateen Cleaves, Michigan State
Jalen Rose, Michigan
Chris Webber, Michigan
Christian Laettner, Duke

2nd Team
Bobby Hurley, Duke
Steve Wojo, Duke
Larry Johnson, UNLV
Marcus Camby, UMass
Kenyon Martin, Cincinnati

2000's
1st Team
Chris Paul, Wake Forest
JJ Redick, Duke
Aubrey Coleman, Houston
Tyler Hansbrough, UNC
Joakim Noah, Florida

2nd Team
Greg Paulus, Duke
Greivis Vasquez, Maryland
Marcus Williams- UConn
Adam Morrison, Gonzaga
Greg Oden, Ohio State

2010's
1st Team
Nate Robinson- Washington
Aaron Craft- Ohio State
Grayson Allen, Duke
Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
Draymond Green- Michigan State

2nd Team
John Wall, Kentucky
Jimmer Fredette, BYU
DeAndre Kane- Marshall/Iowa State
Greg Echenique- Creighton
Tyler Zeller- UNC
A lot of this comes down to exposure, and the fawning on the players by people like Dickie V. So when you have Vitale telling the world how important some avg SOB player for Duke is like Wojo fans are gonna just hate the kid more.

The average fan has never heard of Echenique, Aubrey Coleman, or Kane. You've got Aubrey 1st team. I have no doubt this dude is a turd if you're telling me so, but I couldn't pick this guy out of a police lineup. Again, exposure.

I don't recall hatred for Oden. People did make fun of him for being 40 as a FR in college.

Draymond's annoyances didn't really kick in until he reached the NBA.

Completely agree with most the others, especially Marcus Smart. Iverson was hated also.

Reactions: dukedevilz
A lot of this comes down to exposure, and the fawning on the players by people like Dickie V. So when you have Vitale telling the world how important some avg SOB player for Duke is like Wojo fans are gonna just hate the kid more.

The average fan has never heard of Echenique, Aubrey Coleman, or Kane. You've got Aubrey 1st team. I have no doubt this dude is a turd if you're telling me so, but I couldn't pick this guy out of a police lineup. Again, exposure.

I don't recall hatred for Oden. People did make fun of him for being 40 as a FR in college.

Draymond's annoyances didn't really kick in until he reached the NBA.

Completely agree with most the others, especially Marcus Smart. Iverson was hated also.

Yeah, my list certainly isn't completely accurate. Draymond didn't have the reputation of a dirty player then, but he still had plenty of exposure. He played hard, and that's what annoys a lot of people. He was also 1st Team All-American. And I remember Digger Phelps was slurping on Draymond just about every day he was in the studio....

Oden wasn't universally hated, and neither would I say that about Jimmer. But, they were both talked about every day, and that exposure probably makes them annoying to many fanbases. If they were more annoying, I would have put them on the 1st Team. Guess for that exposure reason, I probably should have put Zion on the list, too.

In hindsight, Greivis Vasquez probably would have been more appropriate for 1st Team over Aubrey Coleman. But, Aubrey Coleman wasn't exactly a nobody. He led all of college basketball in scoring at 25.6 ppg. Here's the play where Coleman received the most flak, basically stepping on Chase Budinger's face.

But yes, exposure is clearly a big element to what makes someone hated across college basketball. Felt like Echenique was called out several times by multiple fanbases; felt like he was fairly well known. Dude played like a defensive tackle at times. I didn't include guys like Makhtar Ndiaye, Cheikh Mbodji, Adam Woodbury or Renardo Sidney because they weren't really well-known. But, thought Echenique was well-known enough to merit 2nd Team. Perhaps not.

I think its so much more shocking when a teams best player is white, bc there are so few white players and less whote stars, it makes them stand out, which makes them easier to hate on bc of the exposure yall mentioned above.

I mean how many white college “star players” in the last 20 years arent on this list?

Nick Cathales isn't' mentioned. Rasheed Wallace. Karl Hess, Kind of surprised Herro didn't make the cut.

This might explain why Cousins didn't make the list.
Hes on mine lol. He woulda caught an assault charge had he forarmed swipshires head off the ground in the club like that instead of the hardwood. Double tech smh laughable

Hes on mine lol. He woulda caught an assault charge had he forarmed swipshires head off the ground in the club like that instead of the hardwood. Double tech smh laughable
Miss St fans would agree, but they found his number and called him.

Call-Me.jpg

Plus there was this.

But don't act like UL/Pitino wasn't instigating shit during that game. That shit on Bledsoe was dirty by the birds.

UL wanted it to be dirty. You have to know this. IIRC Cousins put up something like 19 and 19 after that. You guys sparked it.

You're not some innocent victim.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT