ADVERTISEMENT

How did Joe Lunardi survive the ESPN layoffs?

I love how Lunardi continually boasts about his accuracy; he'll say something like, "Last year I correctly projected 66 of the 68 tournament teams." Um, Joe, you might want to mention that 32 of those picks are, um, how do I say this... already known. Yeah, that's it. Don't pat yourself on the back too much.

Two reasons mainly: first he basically invented the ‘bracketology’ niche so he has a ton of clout regardless of accuracy; second he can’t really get laid off in that sense because he’s not a full time employee, he works at a university and only does sports a few hours a month for much of the year

Reactions: jhmossy
I dont get why anyone gets fired up about his predictions or takes them too seriously. Theres a degree of mathematical probability to all this. The only real ? are the bubble teams on the tail end of the field. As a UK fan, IDGAF about any of them getting in or out. Its a fun debate but I couldn't care less who gets left out....they're not champ material anyway. So basically he has to get about 10 teams right to pick it perfectly. As far as seeding the committee places different emphasis on different values everywhere, so thats never going to be perfect to predict.

I love how Lunardi continually boasts about his accuracy; he'll say something like, "Last year I correctly projected 66 of the 68 tournament teams." Um, Joe, you might want to mention that 32 of those picks are, um, how do I say this... already known. Yeah, that's it. Don't pat yourself on the back too much.

Yeah at the end of the day there’s usually only like 3 or 4 spots that are debatable. So congrats Joe, you were really just 2 for 4 on the toss ups.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I dont get why anyone gets fired up about his predictions or takes them too seriously. Theres a degree of mathematical probability to all this. The only real ? are the bubble teams on the tail end of the field. As a UK fan, IDGAF about any of them getting in or out. Its a fun debate but I couldn't care less who gets left out....they're not champ material anyway. So basically he has to get about 10 teams right to pick it perfectly. As far as seeding the committee places different emphasis on different values everywhere, so thats never going to be perfect to predict.

I have always found it amusing that they act like it is so difficult to predict who gets in.

I have always found it amusing that they act like it is so difficult to predict who gets in.
No kidding. Over 55 of them are essentially guaranteed. Bracketology is essentially arguing about the last 10 teams in. And unless youre a fan of that school, who the **** actually cares.

Reactions: DTP2
Does he really make millions? I have a hard time believing that. If that’s what Lunardi makes, the NFL version of him, Mel Kiper must be getting $20 million.

Does he really make millions? I have a hard time believing that. If that’s what Lunardi makes, the NFL version of him, Mel Kiper must be getting $20 million.
Per Wiki Salary

Net Worth $200,000
Profession American sportswriter and commentator
Education Saint Joseph's University
Spouse Pam
Nicknames Joe Lunardi, Lunardi, Joe

Others have him 1.5 m to 2.0 m based soley off web hits.

Last edited:

Yeah but so much of his job is self promotion and pushing the narrative that he has superior knowledge. If he is likely doesnt believe his accuracy is good, he has to phrase it in a way that keeps the majority of people believing it is.

Yeah but so much of his job is self promotion and pushing the narrative that he has superior knowledge. If he is likely doesnt believe his accuracy is good, he has to phrase it in a way that keeps the majority of people believing it is.

Majority of people that follow college hoops during March Madness are not diehards and will just take what is presented to them without much thought

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT