ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga to the Pac 12 for basketball only. Why not?

I agree with this but I'm not sure how adding SMU will help Oregon or USC recruit the state of Texas.

Honestly for the 2021 class, the PAC did a much better job at keeping players in their footprint. 2020 and 2019 were bad but USC's resurgence on the recruiting trail has helped. I don't think the PACs future is all doom and gloom. Oregon is recruiting at a level that we've never seen before and they are doing very well in the PAC footprint (landed the #1 players in Oregon, Arizona, Colorado and Nevada). USC's resurgence on the trail shows they are going to keep most of the top players in LA. If those two programs can turn those recruiting successes into results on the field, the PAC will see an improvement in their relevancy.
Yes, 2021 was the first time in 9 years that the PAC had 2 top 10 recruiting classes. I hope it continues.

The next step is Washington and ASU. It is a free for all in the state of Arizona right now (to the benefit of Oregon) and ASU isn't getting any top in state talent. And a lot of it is leaving the conference. You get Oregon and USC to being consistent top 10 teams and Washington and ASU to consistent ranked teams and the PAC is back in business.

Yes, 2021 was the first time in 9 years that the PAC had 2 top 10 recruiting classes. I hope it continues.

The next step is Washington and ASU. It is a free for all in the state of Arizona right now (to the benefit of Oregon) and ASU isn't getting any top in state talent. And a lot of it is leaving the conference. You get Oregon and USC to being consistent top 10 teams and Washington and ASU to consistent ranked teams and the PAC is back in business.

I agree but I really think it starts at the top. If Oregon and USC can start producing top 10 teams on the field consistently, the PAC 12 will be back in business. I don't think the PACs problem has been not enough top 25 or top 30 type teams, it's been that they haven't had a playoff team since 2016 and haven't had a playoff team win a game since 2014.

I'm an admitted homer but I think Oregon is getting close to where they need to be as a program, in order to be a legitimate playoff contender. They aren't there yet but they are starting to stack top 10 classes and they may have hit a homerun with Ty Thompson at QB.

USC is starting to establish themselves in LA again and that's going to mean consistent top 10 classes. Hiring Donte Williams was huge for them. I'm not as huge of a fan of Clay Helton and I don't think the Air Raid offense is a good move for USC. With that said, they will have the talent to be relevant nationally.

Last edited:
I agree but I really think it starts at the top. If Oregon and USC can start producing top 10 teams on the field consistently, the PAC 12 will be back in business. I don't think the PACs problem has been not enough top 25 or top 30 type teams, it's been that they haven't had a playoff team since 2016 and haven't had a playoff team win a game since 2014.

I'm an admitted homer but I think Oregon is getting close to where they need to be as a program to be a legitimate playoff contender. They aren't there yet but they are starting to stack top 10 classes and they may have hit a homerun with Ty Thompson at QB.

USC is starting to establish themselves in LA again and that's going to mean consistent top 10 classes. Hiring Donte Williams was huge for them. I'm not as huge of a fan of Clay Helton and I don't think the Air Raid offense is a good move for USC. With that said, they will have the talent to be relevant nationally.
Ya Oregon has the talent on paper right now. QB play is gonna be the difference maker for you this upcoming year. It's been really impressive to see their recruiting lately. And you guys are getting the talent up front on both sides of the ball to compete nationally.

Are y'all gonna get JT??

Ya Oregon has the talent on paper right now. QB play is gonna be the difference maker for you this upcoming year. It's been really impressive to see their recruiting lately. And you guys are getting the talent up front on both sides of the ball to compete nationally.

Are y'all gonna get JT??

Probably not. It’s looking like Ohio State. That would be a huge win for Oregon if they can pull that off

A lot of fair points that I wouldn't argue with.

Gonzaga is so weird because they are such a contradiction onto themselves. Why is the small Jesuit school in Spokane so good at basketball when they have no local talent, a less than stellar conference and a comparatively small alumni base? It is a good academic school but not a great one.

But at some point, you have to get over those issues and just realize that they are really really good as basketball and they should be playing better teams in conference. IDK if the PAC 12 will ever be an option, but maybe its time for them and BYU to go to the MWC. That would definitely be a step up in competition, and would make the MWC close to on par with the likes of the current Big East.

You are totally incorrect about the "no local talent" thing. The program was built on local talent. The original 1999 cinderella team was almost entirely Washington State players, with a few from Oregon as well. Adam Morrison was from Washington, as was most of the successful teams in the 2000s. Heck, John Stockton was from Spokane. The program was built on local talent - it wasn't until the 2010s that they regularly started getting strong national recruits. But even now, they retain some local talent (e.g. Kispert).

They should make a move to Pac-12 if they can, apparently weak WCC was the culprit for their lack of preparation for tough games in the tournament. Gonzaga went 1-12 against top 3 seeds, they were only able to make deep tourney runs if they get lucky that underdogs knock out other contenders.

Last edited:
They should make a move to Pac-12 if they can, apparently weak WCC was the culprit for their lack of preparation for tough games in the tournament. Gonzaga went 1-2 against top 3 seeds, they were only able to make deep tourney runs if they get lucky that underdogs knock out other contenders.
How could they have gone 1-2 if they only lost 1 game?

yea I think this tournament showed why they need to move to the PAC or any respectable conference. Honestly, I'd be happy if they moved to the conference with San Diego St, Utah State, etc. That's a really good basketball conference.

Competitively, I think they are at a huge disadvantage come tournament time when every other great team is ramping up the competition and playing other great teams almost weekly leading up to March. Meanwhile, Gonzaga pretty much falls off the radar once the new year rolls around and they start their parade of blowouts. That lack of competition really hurts them late in the tournament. It showed this year when they were woefully unprepared to play against Baylor and barely scraped by a #11 seed.

Competitively, I think they are at a huge disadvantage come tournament time when every other great team is ramping up the competition and playing other great teams almost weekly leading up to March.

Are they at a huge disadvantage? In the past 6 tournaments, Gonzaga has won 20 NCAA tournament games. The next closest school is Villanova, with 17 tournament wins.

Are they at a huge disadvantage? In the past 6 tournaments, Gonzaga has won 20 NCAA tournament games. The next closest school is Villanova, with 17 tournament wins.

I think that's a little misleading though. For the most part they've beaten up on lower seeded teams. Of those 20 wins only 3 of them came against teams seeded in the top 4 and none of those were against 1s or 2s. They have 2 wins vs 4 seeds and 1 win vs a 3. SO they only have 1 win vs a top 3 seed during that entire run of 6 tournaments.

I should also note that 3 of those 20 wins came after they were gifted a victory vs Northwestern by the refs when they were a 1 and NW was an 8. I only bring that up as a bitter Northwestern fan.

Meanwhile Nova only has 17 wins, but 7 of them are vs top 3 seeds or higher. Nova has taken down 3 #1s during that run along with a 2 and and 3 #3s. That's way more impressive than anything Gonzaga has done and leads to my overall point.

Gonzaga is built to get a high seed in the tournament, but they're not built to beat the good battle tested teams once they get there. Spending the last 2 months of the season playing cupcakes while the P5 teams all beat up on each other makes them soft and puts them at a huge disadvantage when it comes time to matching up vs those teams.

This also makes sense when you look at the teams Gonzaga lost to during those 6 years. Baylor, Texas Tech, FSU, UNC, Syracuse, Duke. All P5 teams who have to run the conference gauntlet in January - March while the Zags are getting beach time at Pepperdine.

I think that's a little misleading though. For the most part they've beaten up on lower seeded teams. Of those 20 wins only 3 of them came against teams seeded in the top 4 and none of those were against 1s or 2s. They have 2 wins vs 4 seeds and 1 win vs a 3. SO they only have 1 win vs a top 3 seed during that entire run of 6 tournaments.

I should also note that 3 of those 20 wins came after they were gifted a victory vs Northwestern by the refs when they were a 1 and NW was an 8. I only bring that up as a bitter Northwestern fan.

Meanwhile Nova only has 17 wins, but 7 of them are vs top 3 seeds or higher. Nova has taken down 3 #1s during that run along with a 2 and and 3 #3s. That's way more impressive than anything Gonzaga has done and leads to my overall point.

Gonzaga is built to get a high seed in the tournament, but they're not built to beat the good battle tested teams once they get there. Spending the last 2 months of the season playing cupcakes while the P5 teams all beat up on each other makes them soft and puts them at a huge disadvantage when it comes time to matching up vs those teams.

This also makes sense when you look at the teams Gonzaga lost to during those 6 years. Baylor, Texas Tech, FSU, UNC, Syracuse, Duke. All P5 teams who have to run the conference gauntlet in January - March while the Zags are getting beach time at Pepperdine.

And those teams you mentioned all have fewer tournament wins than Gonzaga. The Zags have matched the round of their tournament seeding every year except 2019, when they had a narrow loss to the national runner-up, Texas Tech. If the SOS really made a material difference, why don't the P6 schools have more wins? Nova also lost in the 2nd Round as a 1 seed in 2015 and 2017. And Nova has a 3.2 average seeding over that time span, while Gonzaga has an average seeding of 4. If you take the median, the two schools have the same figure. In the past four years, Gonzaga is the only school to make it to the Final Four twice. Could playing against power schools help? Sure. But, it's not exactly like they're bombing out in the early rounds. They' made it to 6 consecutive Sweet 16s. It's been 15 years since a blue blood has been able to accomplish that (Duke, 1998-2006).

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
And those teams you mentioned all have fewer tournament wins than Gonzaga. The Zags have matched the round of their tournament seeding every year except 2019, when they had a narrow loss to the national runner-up, Texas Tech. If the SOS really made a material difference, why don't the P6 schools have more wins? Nova also lost in the 2nd Round as a 1 seed in 2015 and 2017. And Nova has a 3.2 average seeding over that time span, while Gonzaga has an average seeding of 4. If you take the median, the two schools have the same figure. In the past four years, Gonzaga is the only school to make it to the Final Four twice. Could playing against power schools help? Sure. But, it's not exactly like they're bombing out in the early rounds. They' made it to 6 consecutive Sweet 16s. It's been 15 years since a blue blood has been able to accomplish that (Duke, 1998-2006).

sure the Zags are built to do well vs the ok teams in the tournament, but once they make it to the big boys they lose pretty much every time. Contrast that to Nova who has 7x as many impressive wins as the Zags during that same time frame. I think it's pretty telling that for all their success over the past 6 runs, they've never beaten a 1 or 2 and only have 1 win vs a 3. Those are the elite teams and the Zags have failed almost completely when it comes to playing those teams.

As for P6 teams losing early, anyone is susceptible to getting knocked off early by some upstart, but by the end of the tourney the cream always rises to the top. And when that happens Gonzaga inevitably sinks down to the bottom.

sure the Zags are built to do well vs the ok teams in the tournament, but once they make it to the big boys they lose pretty much every time. Contrast that to Nova who has 7x as many impressive wins as the Zags during that same time frame. I think it's pretty telling that for all their success over the past 6 runs, they've never beaten a 1 or 2 and only have 1 win vs a 3. Those are the elite teams and the Zags have failed almost completely when it comes to playing those teams.

As for P6 teams losing early, anyone is susceptible to getting knocked off early by some upstart, but by the end of the tourney the cream always rises to the top. And when that happens Gonzaga inevitably sinks down to the bottom.

They beat West Virginia in 2017, a team that's ranked #7 in KP. Beat USC this year; they're #6 in KenPom. Those two schools had the metrics of a 2 seed. I mentioned in a previous thread that Gonzaga has beaten more KP top 16 teams (5 wins: WVU, Ohio State, Florida State, USC, UCLA) in the past four tournaments than any other school.

Gonzaga just as easily could have beaten UNC in 2017. Can't remember a Final Four game ever being called that tightly. Zags had control of the game up until the refs stated calling fouls every 30 seconds. Zach Collins was performing really well - and he fouled out in 14 minutes... Texas Tech had the #1 rated defense in KenPom history in 2019. They were tied with Gonzaga with 4 minutes left. Tech pulled away late; it happens. That's March. It's a single elimination. TTU also could have beaten UVA in regulation, too. And Auburn could have beaten UVA, or Purdue. The permutations are endless. Zags also beat #1 Duke in the regular season that year; only team in the country to do so when Duke was at full strength.

Just think people get too hung on winning the final game. It takes a tremendously talented team, plus a little luck to win all 6 games. If you replay the tournament 10 different times, odds are most years you'll end up with 4-6 different champions. Consider these four 4 blue bloods...

-Calipari has only one national title, a team which featured Anthony Davis
-In 15 years at Kansas, Roy never won a national title
-Duke was a #1 seed 8 times in a 9 year span, and only came away one ship.
-UNC was a 1, 2, or 3 seed in 7 consecutive tournaments (83-89) where they didn't make a single Final Four.

The reality is, Gonzaga was only a 1 seed three times in that 6 year span. They've only been a 1 seed 4 times in school history. If they're consistent on being a top 5 team, eventually they'll cut the nets down.

They beat West Virginia in 2017, a team that's ranked #7 in KP. Beat USC this year; they're #6 in KenPom. Those two schools had the metrics of a 2 seed. I mentioned in a previous thread that Gonzaga has beaten more KP top 16 teams (5 wins: WVU, Ohio State, Florida State, USC, UCLA) in the past four tournaments than any other school.

Gonzaga just as easily could have beaten UNC in 2017. Can't remember a Final Four game ever being called that tightly. Zags had control of the game up until the refs stated calling fouls every 30 seconds. Zach Collins was performing really well - and he fouled out in 14 minutes... Texas Tech had the #1 rated defense in KenPom history in 2019. They were tied with Gonzaga with 4 minutes left. Tech pulled away late; it happens. That's March. It's a single elimination. TTU also could have beaten UVA in regulation, too. And Auburn could have beaten UVA, or Purdue. The permutations are endless. Zags also beat #1 Duke in the regular season that year; only team in the country to do so when Duke was at full strength.

Just think people get too hung on winning the final game. It takes a tremendously talented team, plus a little luck to win all 6 games. If you replay the tournament 10 different times, odds are most years you'll end up with 4-6 different champions. Consider these four 4 blue bloods...

-UNC was a 1, 2, or 3 seed in 7 consecutive tournaments (83-89) where they didn't make a single Final Four.

The reality is, Gonzaga was only a 1 seed three times in that 6 year span. They've only been a 1 seed 4 times in school history. If they're consistent on being a top 5 team, eventually they'll cut the nets down.

you start bringing up Kenpom you lose me. I don't follow that crap.

Another indirect point being made is the weak schedule makes them a truly difficult team to seed for the committee, and maybe the committee has erred on the side of respect which positions them for early round wins. If there is such a thing as gifted early round wins, which is for sure debatable.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
Ok I have a lot of thoughts on this:

PAC 12 is having money and interest issues. Gonzaga is getting all of the espn late games while the PAC is on espn2. Thats not a good look for the PAC at all. People would rather watch Gonzaga blow people out by 20-30 than watch PAC games.

Does the WCC keep Gonzaga for the other sports? I would assume that they would not. So maybe they go to the Big Sky?? But who wants to bring on a team in a conference without getting football or basketball??

20 years from now, what does Gonzaga basketball look like? What does the PAC 12 look like? What does the WCC look like?

Would the PAC 12 AD's even want Gonzaga? Why would you want to bring in a school that would then beat all of your current teams, or take higher rated West Coast recruits? It would be a similar argument for the Big 12 not letting in Huston.

BYU is becoming a yearly tournament team under Mark Pope. Last year the WCC would have had a 1 seed a 4-5 in BYU and a 7-10 seed in St. Mary's. Is that going to consistently happen going forward?

How does going to the PAC 12 make Gonzaga a better basketball program? Right now in the WCC, Gonzaga is the number 1 rated team in the country, they have two lottery picks on their roster including a 1 and done, and are expected to pick up the #1 and 6 recruits in the country.

But I think the main question is, over the next 20 years, how sustainable is this Gonzaga program, and to what level? Will they be top 5 every year, top 10, top 15? And are they more relevant from winning their conference every year or by being in the top 3 of a major conference every year?

Gonzaga other sports... I would think no one really gives a crap where they end up. I haven’t heard the word Gonzaga in a context other than basketball in my entire life.

Gonzaga 20 years from now... anything can happen, but they have a track record that runs 20+ years right now, I think it’s safe to say the program has as good of a shot to be relevant in 20 years as any PAC school.

PAC 12 ADs... this could be a sticking point, Gonzaga does not fit the mold as a small private school that I think is pretty ho hum academically. That matters in a conference that includes Berkeley, UCLA and Stanford.

BYU... not really a factor in this IMO.

Does Gonzaga want the PAC 12... I would guess yes. While Gonzaga has rose to the top of the mountain without the help of power conference affiliation, the stability and money that comes with playing a PAC 12 conference schedule would be too much to pass up. At any given moment a bad season for Gonzaga will be a crushing blow financially.

I think it’s a no brainer for Gonzaga and the PAC unless the academics don’t want to be affiliated with them.

Last edited:

I'd prefer they didn't.

Because f*** Gonzaga, that's why.....

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Why does it have to be the PAC? It would e a major improvement just to get them into the Mountain West. That's a fine conference, much better in bball than the one Zags are currently in.

Reactions: englandnu
Only one conference makes sense

But it is all the way across the country .
Would Gonzaga join the Big East and be the #12 team.

Doesn't make sense in the other sports. Maybe just for basketball

Logistically that has to be impossible. Besides the ridiculous travel for conference games half of their road conference games would be starting at 4:00 local time or maybe 5:00 if they push it to 8:00 on the east coast. That won't sit well with the Zags west coast fanbase.

I think setting their sights on a high mid major conference is the most realistic option and still a massive improvement over where they are now.

Logistically that has to be impossible. Besides the ridiculous travel for conference games half of their road conference games would be starting at 4:00 local time or maybe 5:00 if they push it to 8:00 on the east coast. That won't sit well with the Zags west coast fanbase.

I think setting their sights on a high mid major conference is the most realistic option and still a massive improvement over where they are now.

They’ve already turned down the MWC. I don’t necessarily blame them when you consider all of the factors. Despite how many people want to see a change, I doubt Gonzaga moves conferences

Been kicked around.
Creighton AD said it could happen 4 years ago. I believe Gonzaga wasn't interested. Probably still not
But if they do move...it would be to the Big East

They’ve already turned down the MWC. I don’t necessarily blame them when you consider all of the factors. Despite how many people want to see a change, I doubt Gonzaga moves conferences

I wonder if their stance has changed at all after coming up woefully short this year in the F4? I'm hoping they start to look at their conference schedule as a detriment to performing well in the tournament.

Why does it have to be the PAC? It would e a major improvement just to get them into the Mountain West. That's a fine conference, much better in bball than the one Zags are currently in.

Gonzaga has a better TV deal with the WCC. MWC gets games televised on FS1 and the CBS Sports Network. Zags have the majority of their games broadcasted on ESPN. The WCC also agreed to allow any conference member that advances in the tournament to receive a larger revenue share. That's HUGE. And compound the fact that none of the WCC schools, outside of BYU, has a football team. Gonzaga was previously receiving the same revenue distribution as Portland, despite the huge discrepancies in outcomes. They're now rightfully getting back a larger stake at what they're contributing.

Also, it's not obvious that the MWC is significantly better than the WCC. The #8 school in the WCC was rated higher than the #6 school in the MWC in both the NET and KenPom. 6 schools in the top 100 is decent. Hard to find a mid-major that has better opportunities for Gonzaga, especially if you consider the fact that these schools are all religiously-based institutions with similar markets and similar intermediate to long-term goals.

Last edited:
Here are the top 100 teams over the last 5 seasons (not including Gonzaga) from the WCC and the MWC:

2021:
MWC:
San Diego State (30th nationally)
Utah State (46th nationally)
Boise State (61st nationally)
Colorado State (76th nationally)
Nevada (91st nationally)

WCC:
BYU (20th nationally)
St. Mary's (75th nationally)
Pepperdine (90th nationally)
San Francisco (93rd nationally)
Loyola Marymount (94th nationally)

2020:
MWC:
San Diego State (6th nationally)
Utah State (41st nationally)
Boise State (83rd nationally)
Nevada (85th nationally)
UNLV (98th nationally)
Colorado State (99th nationally)

WCC:
BYU (13th nationally)
St. Mary's (38th nationally)
San Francisco (74th nationally)

2019:
MWC:
Nevada (27th nationally)
Utah State (38th nationally)
Fresno State (71st nationally)

WCC:
St. Mary's (31st nationally)
San Francisco (67th nationally)
BYU (86th nationally)
San Diego (90th nationally)

2018:
MWC:
Nevada (25th nationally)
San Diego State (50th nationally)
Boise State (61st nationally)
Fresno State (79th nationally)

WCC:
St. Mary's (32nd nationally)
BYU (73rd nationally)

2017:
MWC:
Nevada (54th nationally)
San Diego State (78th nationally)
Colorado State (86th nationally)
Boise State (94th nationally)
Fresno State (98th nationally)

WCC:
St. Mary's (15th nationally)
BYU (80th nationally)

Probably misspoke. Gonzaga was interested.

This is from their local paper. Could be other factors involved like TV contracts

I think Gonzaga to the Big East would happen in a heartbeat if it wasn’t for the distance. Creighton would be the closest in conference school. They are around 1,400 mi away.

Maybe in your own self created universe (You mean the one you're living in?...... ;) )

But the factors involved in reality says it doesn't

tenor.gif

Gonzaga would need a travel partner...(No they don't. )

Even if it happened. Who else would come with Gonzaga? (No one........you can have odd numbers in a basketball conference, says the ACC..........but if they did want symmetry, then probably BYU.)

I mean, as a fan I would absolutely love to see that ... but I doubt it makes monetary sense. Conferences look at way more important things than how good you are at hoops (academic funding/reputation, media markets/fan base size/TV ratings, athletic revenue, etc.), and I doubt the Zags would bring much on that front with Washington and WSU already in the fold, unfortunately.

I mean, as a fan I would absolutely love to see that ... but I doubt it makes monetary sense. Conferences look at way more important things than how good you are at hoops (academic funding/reputation, media markets/fan base size/TV ratings, athletic revenue, etc.), and I doubt the Zags would bring much on that front with Washington and WSU already in the fold, unfortunately.
Except Gonzaga > Washington > Washington State

Reactions: sgrooms
ADVERTISEMENT