Kentucky
You guys seeing some of these scores? Absolutely nuts out there today

Phil +7
Day +9
Rory +10(!!)
Spieth +8
Bubba +7

Worse score for day one is +22

I have never seen opening round scores like this before. I know it’s the US Open, but damn.

Very early, but could see the last guy standing come Sunday around 3 or 4 under.

Ugh, here I wasn’t hoping he could make a run with all the bad scores. Huge Tiger fan
I’m in that huge pool over on the main board. Currently in 141st place. Total score of +21. Fowler is my best score at +3. Hopefully Webb Simpson saves me this afternoon.

I'm pulling for DeChambeau since he is an SMU grad. He shot a 76 today. If the wind stays up thru the week-end there won't be any scores under par.

One of these days the USGA will pull its head out of its ass and properly set up a course for a championship. They need to learn that making the best golfers in the world look like weekend duffers doesn't make for compelling television.

It was obvious what was going to happen with the scores after last years debacle @ Erin Hills. No way the hardest tournament in the world should have scores like that. I kinda like them struggling to make par, in the US Open anyway.

Reactions: JimboBBN
It was obvious what was going to happen with the scores after last years debacle @ Erin Hills. No way the hardest tournament in the world should have scores like that. I kinda like them struggling to make par, in the US Open anyway.
I agree. This is supposed to be the toughest tournament of the year. Hell, players are winning the other majors at like 15 under these days. I have no problems with them struggling once a year.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
I don't have to watch television to see a golfer struggle. I'll live it tomorrow on the course I'll be playing.

It was rather satisfying to see USGA CEO, Mike Davis, post round today, plead guilty to excessive douche-baggery with intent to screw up a championship.

'Course is was about 5 hours too late to save Phil Mickelson from humiliating himself and tarnishing an otherwise sterling reputation.

Scores at Erin Hills wouldn’t have been that ridiculous if the golfers didn’t cry about the fescue.

However ridiculous you believe Erin Hills was last year, Shinnecock Hills this year is more ludicrous in the opposite direction. Of the 67 players today, only three posted a sub par score. All three teed off prior to 11am.

The USGA pisses and moans about how fewer people are taking up golf and the sport is dying. After today's debacle what neophyte would believe golf would be any fun?

Reactions: KyFaninNC
However ridiculous you believe Erin Hills was last year, Shinnecock Hills this year is more ludicrous in the opposite direction. Of the 67 players today, only three posted a sub par score. All three teed off prior to 11am.

The USGA pisses and moans about how fewer people are taking up golf and the sport is dying. After today's debacle what neophyte would believe golf would be any fun?

For sure.

And again, part of Erin Hills intrigue was a narrow and windy course. Cutting that fescue back during practice rounds because golfers were crying about it made it way too easy.

I do as well. I don't want to see it week after week but for one week I enjoy it.

It was rather satisfying to see USGA CEO, Mike Davis, post round today, plead guilty to excessive douche-baggery with intent to screw up a championship.

'Course is was about 5 hours too late to save Phil Mickelson from humiliating himself and tarnishing an otherwise sterling reputation.

Just a terrible look for Phil. I play in a lot of amateur tournaments and have never seen anyone do that. I think it would have come across better for him if he would have just been like, 'F it, I was just pissed and screwed up. My bad'.

Reactions: USMCatFan
I agree with the part about Phil. Admitting that frustration with the course setup had gotten to him would have just made him look human. Claiming to exploit a rules loop hole just makes you look like a jerk.

Last edited:
I do as well. I don't want to see it week after week but for one week I enjoy it.

Just a terrible look for Phil. I play in a lot of amateur tournaments and have never seen anyone do that. I think it would have come across better for him if he would have just been like, 'F it, I was just pissed and screwed up. My bad'.
Did you see his explanation? He actually made a point he wouldn’t have scored the same or worse if he hadn’t of done what he did. He was taking advantage of the rules to the best of his knowledge. I get why people think he lost his mind, but I actually understand why he did what he did.

This course is just a monster. I’m with you though. This is not something I want to see on a weekly basis for professionals. But the US Open is supposed to be the hardest tournament in golf. We aren’t supposed to see guys at 20 under par like we do for the other majors. The winning score should be close to even par. I’m actually very entertained with what is happening. Not only that, but it makes me feel better about myself when I play ;)

Did you see his explanation? He actually made a point he wouldn’t have scored the same or worse if he hadn’t of done what he did. He was taking advantage of the rules to the best of his knowledge. I get why people think he lost his mind, but I actually understand why he did what he did.
It had nothing to do with him taking advantage of some rule. He was pissed about the setup of the course and lost his mind, then made up some shit to sound smart when it was dumb af. Taking that penalty makes zero sense. He's basically saying it would take 3 or more shots to get from the front of the green to 5 feet from the hole. That might happen 5 times out of 100 for a player like him, probably less. If he really wanted to take advantage of rules, he should have deemed it unplayable and putt from where he was with a shot penalty. Figjam gonna figjam

It had nothing to do with him taking advantage of some rule. He was pissed about the setup of the course and lost his mind, then made up some shit to sound smart when it was dumb af. Taking that penalty makes zero sense. He's basically saying it would take 3 or more shots to get from the front of the green to 5 feet from the hole. That might happen 5 times out of 100 for a player like him, probably less. If he really wanted to take advantage of rules, he should have deemed it unplayable and putt from where he was with a shot penalty. Figjam gonna figjam
So you talked to Phil then? Or did he say this somewhere else? No reason to not believe the guy. There’s been plenty of players who have spoken out against the course and it’s condition. If Phil wanted to call them out, he could have easily done so directly like every other player. If you heard him talk, he would have had a horrible lie and he’d been in that spot before on that hole and took a high number. Doesn’t seem that crazy to me.

The ball was going to roll off the front of the green.

Reactions: JimboBBN

I agree. Taking the penalty wasn’t a smart move.

Phil was not the 1st player to stop a putt from rolling back off the green, the one time I remember most was at another US Open. it was on a par 3 and the guy landed the ball 1' from the pin and it promptly rolled 60' down hill off the green.
his next chip the ball landed on the green just short of the pin and that ball started to roll all the way back to his feet. his 3rd shot he hit it close again and when it started to roll off the green he ran up and stopped it by hitting the ball.

after that happened there was a comentator that showed the contour of the green and where the pin was located. his comment called out the USGA for allowing a green to be setup to penalize a golfer for hitting a good shot. making the US Open tough is not the problem,

its when they are set up to embarrass these golfer that I have a problem with and why I am not watching it this weekend.

But the US Open is supposed to be the hardest tournament in golf
Hardest, yes, but it has to be the same for everyone and this was not. The morning guys played a different course than the afternoon guys. The afternoon guys had a course darn near unplayable, and some holes were. That is just not the right way. Two times now the open has been at Shinnecock and both times the USGA screwed it up, if they can't do any better, then take that course out of the rotation.

Phil was not the 1st player to stop a putt from rolling back off the green, the one time I remember most was at another US Open. it was on a par 3 and the guy landed the ball 1' from the pin and it promptly rolled 60' down hill off the green.
his next chip the ball landed on the green just short of the pin and that ball started to roll all the way back to his feet. his 3rd shot he hit it close again and when it started to roll off the green he ran up and stopped it by hitting the ball.

after that happened there was a comentator that showed the contour of the green and where the pin was located. his comment called out the USGA for allowing a green to be setup to penalize a golfer for hitting a good shot. making the US Open tough is not the problem,

its when they are set up to embarrass these golfer that I have a problem with and why I am not watching it this weekend.
I wish a lot of the pros refused to play in the next open to prove a point.

Uh, he said that’s why he done it. The ball was gonna roll and it would’ve took him at least two more shots (same as the penalty) so he done what he done and moved on!

Hardest, yes, but it has to be the same for everyone and this was not. The morning guys played a different course than the afternoon guys. The afternoon guys had a course darn near unplayable, and some holes were. That is just not the right way. Two times now the open has been at Shinnecock and both times the USGA screwed it up, if they can't do any better, then take that course out of the rotation.

No doubt. It was basically guys playing two different courses yesterday.

I wish a lot of the pros refused to play in the next open to prove a point.

No one is refusing to play PB.

As for Phil, I don't really care if that is the reason he did it. It was still in poor taste IMO. I'm a huge Mickelson fan but just don't like what he did.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Plus, I'm not sure I buy Phil's explanation. I've played golf before. It can make you do out of character ****.

Reactions: denniden
There's golf and then there's putting. I don't mind seeing the pros struggle, but when a putt that would usually be a 6 inch miss turns into a 30 yard miss that rolls onto the fairway, that's not fun to watch. That'd be like subtracting a point from a basketball team's score every time they miss a free throw. Make greens hard to hold, add bunkers, make the rough longer, make the course longer, but don't put the cup on top of a gigantic hill with a putting surface slicker than a marble floor. I came to watch guys hit a 200 yard 7 iron to within 6 feet, not to see them triple bogey because their putter backswing was a centimeter too long.

Plus, I'm not sure I buy Phil's explanation. I've played golf before. It can make you do out of character ****.
I’m not the biggest Phil fan but I totally agree with your assessment. I’m not going to beat the guy up because I’m not too proud of a few moments I’ve had on the course. The sport is pure evil sometimes on the mind.

So you talked to Phil then? Or did he say this somewhere else? No reason to not believe the guy. There’s been plenty of players who have spoken out against the course and it’s condition. If Phil wanted to call them out, he could have easily done so directly like every other player. If you heard him talk, he would have had a horrible lie and he’d been in that spot before on that hole and took a high number. Doesn’t seem that crazy to me.
He admitted he acted out of frustration today.

ADVERTISEMENT