ADVERTISEMENT

FSU @ Florida

Roads conference game for the first game of the year.

We had 2 starters both pick up 2 fouls each within 90 seconds of the game starting

I’m not worried about it
The reason I'm shaking my head is Pitt turned around and lost to Nichols state.
The FSU team I saw play yesterday should never lose to a team as bad as Pitt. They looked really good yesterday.

The FSU team I saw play yesterday should never lose to a team as bad as Pitt. They looked really good yesterday.

FSU lost to Pitt last year and went on to set a school record for wins. Pitt, meanwhile, went 3-15 in ACC play.

It’s college basketball, weird crap happens.

Also, we just own Mike White.

Reactions: Montana81
UF has a decent defense. I don't see much of a change to their offense. When they're not hitting 3's, it looks really bad.

I thought FSU played with really good energy and the offense had much more intent about it than did UF. Defenses were a wash.

I wondered if White new how to play with KB. Doesn't get it. He needs to use him like Cal did PJ last season. I'm not sold that KB is as good as PJ, obviously not, but their style is similar especially when you can play through them.

Reactions: rdgtr

Nicholls State took Illinois to overtime in the first game of the season. They must be halfway decent to be competitive in back-to-back games against quality teams.

Reactions: rdgtr and kyjeff1
This Florida roster is perfect for a deep run. But at this point that might be in the NIT. FSU looked in control even when it was close. White never has an answer for FSU so it is hard to say we are bad already instead of just FSU owning us. But this was very concerning. I think with a fast PG we are great. Nembhard is so slow though.

Reactions: rdgtr and jhmossy
FLA has a young team right? I could see both these teams being tough outs in the tourney. Got to admit being a little in the dark on the FLA coach.

Reactions: rdgtr

Conf road games are always tough.

Plus we're dealing with young people. There is no doubt that FSU roster was going to be more amped for FLA than PITT, despite the conference game meaning more. Factor in coming off a loss, there is no way they wanted an 0-2 start to the year. I'm sure Hamilton had them plenty motivated for the Gators.

So you didn't see the same team vs FLA we saw vs PITT, because between the ears it probably wasn't the same team.

Reactions: GE Nole
Could have just as easily called a foul on Brown for grabbing Jerome's arm. That contact occurred before Jerome picked up the loose ball.

A foul there puts them taking the ball out way in backcourt verses on the side right where the 3 was taken. Would have been more difficult for uva had they called that early foul which was happening at the same time as the double dribble.

A foul there puts them taking the ball out way in backcourt verses on the side right where the 3 was taken. Would have been more difficult for uva had they called that early foul which was happening at the same time as the double dribble.

They also would have 4 seconds on the clock as opposed to 1.5 seconds.

lol you realize UVA got a 3-point field goal attempt off in less time, right?
Yes because of where they got to take the ball in. Had they been taking the ball out in the back court they would have been fouled before any 3 point attempt is taken.

Yes because of where they got to take the ball in. Had they been taking the ball out in the back court they would have been fouled before any 3 point attempt is taken.

I don't understand your logic at all. Auburn already had 6 fouls. Why would they foul UVA and put them in the bonus? No coach is going to tell his players to foul the other team that's in the bonus when you're up by two.

Most likely scenario: Auburn plays tight defense, UVA runs a bunch of screens, and finds a shooter who has a little space to operate. It was going to be a three-point field goal, regardless.

I don't understand your logic at all. Auburn already had 6 fouls. Why would they foul UVA and put them in the bonus? No coach is going to tell his players to foul the other team that's in the bonus when you're up by two.

Most likely scenario: Auburn plays tight defense, UVA runs a bunch of screens, and finds a shooter who has a little space to operate. It was going to be a three-point field goal, regardless.

We had 5 fouls when the original foul would have taken place. It’s much harder for them to get a good look close to line with 3 seconds left coming from the back court. Instead they go to take it out on the side for a quick pass. It would have been much more difficult coming from the back court

We had 5 fouls when the original foul would have taken place. It’s much harder for them to get a good look close to line with 3 seconds left coming from the back court. Instead they go to take it out on the side for a quick pass. It would have been much more difficult coming from the back court

uva-auburn.jpg

Auburn had 5 fouls. Brown's foul hasn't occurred yet in this image. That's #6. Next foul puts UVA in the bonus. 4 seconds from halfcourt is plenty of time to operate. Not saying UVA would have made it. But, Guy, Jerome, and Hunter all shot 40%+ from 3. I think they would have gotten a decent look. Either way, it's a little premature to assume Auburn wins in this scenario.

uva-auburn.jpg

Auburn had 5 fouls. Brown's foul hasn't occurred yet in this image. That's #6. Next foul puts UVA in the bonus. 4 seconds from halfcourt is plenty of time to operate. Not saying UVA would have made it. But, Guy, Jerome, and Hunter all shot 40%+ from 3. I think they would have gotten a decent look. Either way, it's a little premature to assume Auburn wins in this scenario.

Yes and they are taking the ball out way in backcourt if the foul you referenced initially is called. You keep moving the goal post

Yes and they are taking the ball out way in backcourt if the foul you referenced initially is called. You keep moving the goal post

Way in the backcourt? Maybe like four feet. Going 50 feet in 4 seconds isn't easy, I'll grant you that. But it is very manageable. And when did I move the goalpost? I said all along this is the scenario. UVA gets the ball with 4 seconds. And Auburn didn't have any more fouls to give. Lots of shooters, coupled with a couple of solid screens, yes, there's a chance UVA could create some space and get a decent look.

Way in the backcourt? Maybe like four feet. Going 50 feet in 4 seconds isn't easy, I'll grant you that. But it is very manageable. And when did I move the goalpost? I said all along this is the scenario. UVA gets the ball with 4 seconds. And Auburn didn't have any more fouls to give. Lots of shooters, coupled with a couple of solid screens, yes, there's a chance UVA could create some space and get a decent look.

I doubt they near the look they got and I doubt we have a guy having to run as hard towards an open 3 guy. They got to run like a tripl screen for guy where they took the ball out. Would not have been the same in the back court

Disappointing loss for Florida!

I had as many FGs as Blackshear today.

For a horrible game, Blackshear still had 10 points (10/14 FT's) and 13 rebounds.
Blackshear could have scored more had the UF guards located him more often.
AP19314693344229-696x518.jpg

FSU's strategy was to double team Blackshear and deny him the ball - it worked.
White could not counter it until much later but by then FSU built up a 10-point 2nd half lead that UF could never overcome. White countered FSU's double teaming of Blackshear by having UF's PF, Keyontae Johnson, to keep driving along the baseline for some easy dunks and lay-ups (8/12, 19 pts).

Against FSU, Florida's guards were the weakness. They were too passive and did not respond to FSU's physicality which was a disappointment again. Nembhard and Locke had poor games. There will be teams on the schedule who could do the same thing again.

Coach White better figure it quick or he is going to lose the fans.
Many of the fans drove from all over the state to see this rivalry game.
It was a packed, enthusiastic house of Florida fans but a very disappointing showing by White's Florida team.
rowdy-reptiles-650x300.png

Last edited:
Reactions: nole96
I saw auburn beat Florida by 20 last season. Did adding blackshear really make them a top 10 team? Overrated

Florida almost beat Auburn in the SEC-Semifinal game: 62-65
On the last shot, there was a mugging of the PG that did not get called by the SEC refs.
https://deadspin.com/good-lord-florida-got-screwed-1833348451
dbd62bd9-6891-4a17-ac49-0e7cfbd9145f.sized-1000x1000.jpg

AUBURN’S WIN SAID MORE ABOUT DAVIDSON THAN IT DID ABOUT AUBURN

I really thought Davidson was going to have a chance to win the Atlantic 10 and make a run to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. I’m not sure I believe that anymore, not after they were completely taken out of anything they want to run by Bruce Pearl and the Auburn Tigers. Davidson just could not deal with that level of athleticism. They missed roughly 800 layups on Friday, they committed head-scratching, self-inflicted turnovers and they couldn’t keep out of foul trouble thanks to a lack of size inside.

And yet, they were a bucket away from having a chance to win this game on the road.

That’s not a good sign for Auburn.

FLORIDA IS OVERRATED
I was very surprised by just how slow and small Florida looked when they took on Florida State in Gainesville on Sunday afternoon. Granted, this was a tough matchup for the Gators. The Seminoles overplay passing lanes and switch everything, and that basically dares opponents to try and beat them 1-on-1. That’s tough to deal with for anyone.

But it’s particularly problematic for a Florida team that lacks playmaking and features a point guard that is, relatively speaking, slow and unathletic. Nembhard couldn’t create off the bounce, and when he couldn’t create, Florida’s offense slowed to a crawl.

There aren’t many teams out there that can guard the way Florida State can, and the Gators were certainly not aided by the fact that their good three-point shooters spent Sunday firing up brick after brick, but I’m much more concerned about Florida’s future now than I was before Sunday.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...tart-texas-is-a-contender-floridas-overrated/

Florida almost beat Auburn in the SEC-Semifinal game: 62-65
On the last shot, there was a mugging of the PG that did not get called by the SEC refs.
https://deadspin.com/good-lord-florida-got-screwed-1833348451
dbd62bd9-6891-4a17-ac49-0e7cfbd9145f.sized-1000x1000.jpg

But it’s particularly problematic for a Florida team that lacks playmaking and features a point guard that is, relatively speaking, slow and unathletic. Nembhard couldn’t create off the bounce, and when he couldn’t create, Florida’s offense slowed to a crawl.

There aren’t many teams out there that can guard the way Florida State can, and the Gators were certainly not aided by the fact that their good three-point shooters spent Sunday firing up brick after brick, but I’m much more concerned about Florida’s future now than I was before Sunday.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...tart-texas-is-a-contender-floridas-overrated/
[/QUOTE]

The Florida guy traveled before that

The Florida guy traveled before that[/QUOTE]

From being fouled by the two Auburn players, you mean!
It's not like Nembhard just did this by himself without the two Auburn players molesting the player in the act of shooting!

This is not football where it is o.k. to hit the quarterback in the act of throwing the football!

Since Auburn fans are OBVIOUSLY still learning about basketball,
If a defender touches the shooter in the act of shooting, then it's a foul.
No ifs, ands, ors, buts about it!

However, SEC refs are some of the crookedest around and are know to favor teams from Alabama over all other SEC teams! So, the call in the SEC Tournament was not a surprise!

The Florida guy traveled before that

From being fouled by the two Auburn players, you mean!
It's not like Nembhard just did this by himself without the two Auburn players molesting the player in the act of shooting!

This is not football where it is o.k. to hit the quarterback in the act of throwing the football!

Since Auburn fans are OBVIOUSLY still learning about basketball,
If a defender touches the shooter in the act of shooting, then it's a foul.
No ifs, ands, ors, buts about it!

However, SEC refs are some of the crookedest around and are know to favor teams from Alabama over all other SEC teams! So, the call in the SEC Tournament was not a surprise![/QUOTE]

He travelled well before getting fouled. I know the game much More than you but cute attempt at your rules lesson

What about a team as bad as Evansville?

Sorry, I had to. In all seriousness, college hoops is just crazy sometimes.

What about a team as bad as Evansville?

Sorry, I had to. In all seriousness, college hoops is just crazy sometimes.
I deserve that.
I have no idea wtf happened tonight.
I've said this too many times the last 10 years, but this was a completely poor coaching job by Calipari tonight.
I know he's no Popovich, but damn.

I deserve that.
I have no idea wtf happened tonight.
I've said this too many times the last 10 years, but this was a completely poor coaching job by Calipari tonight.
I know he's no Popovich, but damn.
Shit like this really sucks. It was clear Calipari wanted to experiment with lineups and such, he thought he could do and still win. This was entirely on Calipari.

Shit like this really sucks. It was clear Calipari wanted to experiment with lineups and such, he thought he could do and still win. This was entirely on Calipari.
This isn’t the only one that's on Cal, there's quite a list.
He never should have let this happen. He's no better than the guys on the floor that thought they could just flip a switch and turn it on.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Is a home loss to Evansville the kind of loss that can turn a 1 seed into a 2 seed? I guess it depends on how the SEC does this year and if UK wins reg season and tourney.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Is a home loss to Evansville the kind of loss that can turn a 1 seed into a 2 seed? I guess it depends on how the SEC does this year and if UK wins reg season and tourney.
I feel like there's a fine line between Kentucky having, say, 4 losses, and having it disregarded completely as an anomaly. 7 losses or so, I think it tanks the odds.

ADVERTISEMENT