ADVERTISEMENT

FSU at UVA

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
Alright, @jhmossy it’s time for our annual battle of clashing styles—and this time it’s a top 10 showdown!

Tell me...do we have a chance? I know we pulled the upset two years ago in Hooville, but this year I don’t think we have a Dwayne Bacon capable of going nuts like in 2017. I’m feeling like a 25% chance of win, and that’s only if we catch y’all on an off shooting night.

Oh and MJ Walker missed the game today with a knee injury. No word on his availability for Saturday.

What’s your take?

Can’t wait, non-Duke game of the day for me. Considering it’s easier to slow a game down than it is speed one up, I think Virginia takes this one. I don’t see Florida State getting as many second chance points or points from the line, and if they’re forced to operate from the halfcourt more it could be a frustrating day (not unique to FSU, plug in any Virginia opponent here)

If this were in Tally I’d take the ‘Noles, though.

Reactions: GE Nole
Probably the least hyped top 10 matchup of the season. Looking forward to it for sure. We play 3 top 10 opponents in the next five games so this is the beginning of a really tough stretch.

The Noles are always a tough matchup for us with their length, athleticism, and depth. I'm interested to see how much Kihei Clark plays. He's been limited offensively with his cast and I worry about his ability to handle the FSU pressure. We'll need to limit turnovers and rebound the ball well. I was surprised Kenpom predicts 70-61 Hoos. I think it'll be closer than that. If this was in Tally, I'd chalk it up as a loss. Since it's at UVA, I'll say 66-62 UVA.

One of the reasons that UVA does so well against the normal giants like Duke is that Duke has so much turnover year to year that it can take a good part of the game to get used to the style of play. With FSU, our main cast of guys have all been up against it and know what to expect, so I think that helps our chances considerably. The key will be whether or not we shoot the ball from outside, and whether we limit the outside shot on the other end. I think if we have a 9+ point advantage in that realm, we will win. Really think that Fi will show out this game along with Mann. Wildcards for us are Cofer and Savoy. Too bad we'll probably be without MJ Walker for this one, he is another guy that can get hot from outside which you need against a team like UVA who soaks the possessions out of a game.

Probably the least hyped top 10 matchup of the season. Looking forward to it for sure. We play 3 top 10 opponents in the next five games so this is the beginning of a really tough stretch.

The Noles are always a tough matchup for us with their length, athleticism, and depth. I'm interested to see how much Kihei Clark plays. He's been limited offensively with his cast and I worry about his ability to handle the FSU pressure. We'll need to limit turnovers and rebound the ball well. I was surprised Kenpom predicts 70-61 Hoos. I think it'll be closer than that. If this was in Tally, I'd chalk it up as a loss. Since it's at UVA, I'll say 66-62 UVA.

66-62 seems realistic. Maybe 69-62 if we have to foul late.

I wish this game was a couple weeks later. MJ is likely going to be hobbled at best, if he even plays. Mann hurt his foot late in the Winthrop game and likely will be less than 100%. Phil Cofer is still a few weeks away from really having his legs back under him after the 2 months out.

FSU is gonna need PJ Savoy to have one of “those types” of games, because I suspect Kyle Guy will be locked in for the home ACC opener. Getting a second guy, like Nichols, to knock down a few threes will he huge too. Open up the lane for Forrest and Mfiondu.

The battle down low in this one should be outstanding.

That’s an interesting note about Clark, mossy. If there is one area FSU has excelled this year on D, it’s forcing live ball turnovers. Had 13 steals against a guard oriented Winthrop team yesterday. Turned into 30 points off turnovers.

The Noles play at UVA this Saturday and home against Duke next Saturday. Top two teams on KenPom in a 7 day span. Gonna find out what we are made of real quickly.

Reactions: jhmossy
PJ hasn't had a decent game for close to a month, so he is definitely due. I'm really hoping that we get some production out of Vassell, he is a guy who the lights don't seem to be too bright for and he can fill it up. But, it is unusual for a freshman to get that type of run on the road in LH's rotation. I definitely can see us getting 3 production by committee though

PJ hasn't had a decent game for close to a month, so he is definitely due. I'm really hoping that we get some production out of Vassell, he is a guy who the lights don't seem to be too bright for and he can fill it up. But, it is unusual for a freshman to get that type of run on the road in LH's rotation. I definitely can see us getting 3 production by committee though

I wouldn’t count on more than 6 or 7 minutes for Vassell in this one. But he will be a nice contributor by the end of January and will be an absolute stud in two years.

Polite is probably the guy who we need to bust out, since I imagine he’ll get 10-15 minutes if MJ is out again.

One of the reasons that UVA does so well against the normal giants like Duke is that Duke has so much turnover year to year that it can take a good part of the game to get used to the style of play. With FSU, our main cast of guys have all been up against it and know what to expect, so I think that helps our chances considerably. The key will be whether or not we shoot the ball from outside, and whether we limit the outside shot on the other end. I think if we have a 9+ point advantage in that realm, we will win. Really think that Fi will show out this game along with Mann. Wildcards for us are Cofer and Savoy. Too bad we'll probably be without MJ Walker for this one, he is another guy that can get hot from outside which you need against a team like UVA who soaks the possessions out of a game.

Huh? Duke beat UVA in 2014 (they split), 2015, 2016, and 2017. We just lost to UVA for the first time last season by 2 points (IIRC). Before last season, Duke went 4-1 against UVA with turnover. Duke and I think VaTech have been the only teams to beat UVA in the ACC consistently over the last 5 seasons.

Huh? Duke beat UVA in 2014 (they split), 2015, 2016, and 2017. We just lost to UVA for the first time last season by 2 points (IIRC). Before last season, Duke went 4-1 against UVA with turnover. Duke and I think VaTech have been the only teams to beat UVA in the ACC consistently over the last 5 seasons.

I think Duke is the only team in the ACC that we have a losing record against in the last 5 years (2-4 record). We are 6-3 vs UNC but they own a 2-1 edge in ACCT. We are 7-3 vs. VT but have split the last 3 years. We are 6-2 vs. FSU, 8-1 vs. Louisville, and 5-2 vs. Cuse.

2013-2014: 19-2 vs. ACC teams (@Duke, @Maryland)
2014-2015: 17-3 vs. ACC teams (Duke, @Louisville, UNC in ACC semis)
2015-2016: 15-7 vs. ACC teams (@VT, @ GT, @FSU, @Duke, @Miami, UNC in ACC final, Syracuse in Elite 8)
2016-2017: 12-8 vs. ACC teams (FSU, @Pitt, @Cuse, @VT, Duke, @UNC, Miami, ND in ACC semis)
2017-2018: 20-1 vs. ACC teams (VT)

83-21 vs. ACC teams since 2013-2014 including ACC and NCAA play.

Last edited:
Brutal half for the entire team and Ham. His rotations those that 10 minutes were terrible.

Mann and Forrest are a combined 0-3. I'd guess Polite has played more minutes than them combined as well.

LOL UVA wins 65-52.

I swear FSU scores like 15 points in the last 2 minutes pressing our walkons.

Good win to start ACC play.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
OMG we found the UVA weakness, it's their shitty walk ons! Worst walk ons in the country AINEC.

I said earlier that UVA deserves the number 1 spot so far. Can you Hoos slow down my Pack though?

I said earlier that UVA deserves the number 1 spot so far. Can you Hoos slow down my Pack though?

Yes. Don't know if we'll win but you won't play the game at your pace. You'll have to beat us in a half court game. I think you have the guards to do it and the game is in Raleigh.

Yes. Don't know if we'll win but you won't play the game at your pace. You'll have to beat us in a half court game. I think you have the guards to do it and the game is in Raleigh.
I believe it. We haven’t been able to run since Bennett got there

Brutal half for the entire team and Ham. His rotations those that 10 minutes were terrible.

Really was in a tough spot. Mann with 2 fouls and hurt. Cofer with 2 fouls and still not in game shape. Fi with 2 fouls. No good options. I would have liked to see Vassell more, but I get not rushing a young freshmen into action against a team like UVA on the road in his first ACC game.

LOL UVA wins 65-52.

I swear FSU scores like 15 points in the last 2 minutes pressing our walkons.

Good win to start ACC play.

Y'all are impressive. Much broader set of options on offense than previous years. Reminds me of your Justin Anderson/Brogdon team.

I'd say I'd like to see this game rematched when Mann and Cofer are at full speed, but honestly playing UVA is exhausting and brutal to watch. Tip of the cap to the Hoos and I suspect y'all will be finishing first in the regular season again.

Y'all are impressive. Much broader set of options on offense than previous years. Reminds me of your Justin Anderson/Brogdon team.

I'd say I'd like to see this game rematched when Mann and Cofer are at full speed, but honestly playing UVA is exhausting and brutal to watch. Tip of the cap to the Hoos and I suspect y'all will be finishing first in the regular season again.

Thanks man. Mann not being at full strength and picking up 2 fouls early was really big for us today. He's a tough defender on Guy and Guy didn't really get going until Mann went to the bench. I'm glad we don't play you guys again. Good luck the rest of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT