ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State

I think Ham goes goes too deep on the bench. Sacrifices defense and doesn’t let starters get in a rythm. Doesn’t help that BC was unconscious today from 3

Three L's in a row, and now 1-4 in the ACC.

They might have been hyped too much. Best win is against Purdue, by 1, at home. They lost to Villanova, when Nova looked really bad.

Three L's in a row, and now 1-4 in the ACC.

They might have been hyped too much. Best win is against Purdue, by 1, at home. They lost to Villanova, when Nova looked really bad.
Beating Florida by 20 > Purdue by 1

Plus they beat LSU

Bizarre start to ACC play for them, but they have 3 pretty easy games in a row it looks like. Should quickly get back to 4-4.

Leonard Hamilton, that's what happened. This is nothing new.
This. Dude had Jonathan Issac, and still blew it early round of the tourney. I remember when we were searching for a coach, Hamilton’s name came up a few times, and I almost had a panic attack.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Lost to Pitt and BC this week, what's happening to these guys??

Injuries have really taken their toll. We barely have a bench at this point, which ain’t good when you want to push tempo and play pressure D.

Phil Cofer had to sit today, foot injury has been aggravated. Trent Forrest is playing on one foot. Probably gonna need surgery after season. Terance Mann has a bum wheel as well. MJ Walker missed a couple games with a knee injury and is just getting back to 80-90%. Mfiondu Kabengele has a thumb injury. Koumadje only played 12 minutes today, has some tendinitis flaring up.

Combine that with atrocious 3 point shooting in conference play (25% in our first 5 games, including 2-22 against Pitt) and this is what happens. The poor shooting is in some part due to the injuries. And the ACC is just too stocked with talent to win games with your D or C game.

Reactions: tw3301
Leonard Hamilton, that's what happened. This is nothing new.

Hahaha. Pretty ignorant comment. Dude routinely puts teams on the court that outperform their talent level. FSU has 3 consensus top 100 recruits on the team. Three. Duke has more top 10 recruits than FSU has top 100.

Hell, UF has 9 blue chip recruits on their roster and hasn’t beat FSU in 5 years.

This. Dude had Jonathan Issac, and still blew it early round of the tourney. I remember when we were searching for a coach, Hamilton’s name came up a few times, and I almost had a panic attack.

Bill Self lost in the second round with Andrew Wiggins. Coach K lost to Lehigh with like 4 NBA players on his roster. March Madness is a crapshoot.

Reactions: UL_1986
Hahaha. Pretty ignorant comment. Dude routinely puts teams on the court that outperform their talent level. FSU has 3 consensus top 100 recruits on the team. Three. Duke has more top 10 recruits than FSU has top 100.

Hell, UF has 9 blue chip recruits on their roster and hasn’t beat FSU in 5 years.
Yeah, he overachieves so much that in his 30 years as a head coach (all at P5 programs) he's been to a whopping 9 NCAA tournaments and advanced to the Sweet 16 3 times, with the EE being as far as he has ever been, last season. He has consistently had plenty of 4 and 5 star players over the course of his career too, yet you act like he's playing with NAIA rejects.

I think if you are using a 5 game win streak against your rival as proof that Hamilton is performing well, that shows where Hamilton is at.

I am glad FSU fans are okay with him. That might be beating us head to head, but they are a sure fire flameout in the tourney when they get there.

Yeah, he overachieves so much that in his 30 years as a head coach (all at P5 programs) he's been to a whopping 9 NCAA tournaments and advanced to the Sweet 16 3 times, with the EE being as far as he has ever been, last season. He has consistently had plenty of 4 and 5 star players over the course of his career too, yet you act like he's playing with NAIA rejects.

He has taken over moribound programs. He left the first two right after he turned them around and got them in position to be tourney mainstays. If he stayed at those places longer he gets more tourney bids, but he left for the next Lazarus project. It's not hard to do a little research. Now that he's stayed in one place for a longer time, he's seen more of the fruits of his labor--6 tourney appearances in 10 years at a place that only has like 14 appearances all time.

And sure, he's had some 4 and 5 star players. But the reality is FSU is usually at a talent deficit in the majority of their league games. Duke, UNC, Cuse, UL, NCSU, UVA, and even programs like GT and Wake routinely have better rosters. This year you can include VT in that list.

I think if you are using a 5 game win streak against your rival as proof that Hamilton is performing well, that shows where Hamilton is at.

I am glad FSU fans are okay with him. That might be beating us head to head, but they are a sure fire flameout in the tourney when they get there.

FSU has simply had less talent than UF for the better part of the last 12 years. Billy Donovan recruited at a level that FSU could not come close to matching. Certainly helps to have the administrative support that UF provided its hoops team that FSU historically hasn't. Until a couple years ago, FSU recruits weren't even shown the arena on official visits because it was in that poor of shape.

Regarding tourney flameouts, it's been standard March crapshoot for FSU under Ham.

Won 5 games as the lower seed.
Lost 4 games as the higher seed.
Had 4 games go as seed would dictate.

I've watched FSU play 4 times this year and my opinion of them is no different than it has been every other year since Hamilton has been there. They appear to have great athletasism, length and size, but they always look so poorly coached.
They can't hit threes worth a damn, but they fire away at will as soon as they get open.
IDK, if I had a 7' 5" dude on the inside, I would be getting the ball to him often.

He has taken over moribound programs. He left the first two right after he turned them around and got them in position to be tourney mainstays. If he stayed at those places longer he gets more tourney bids, but he left for the next Lazarus project. It's not hard to do a little research. Now that he's stayed in one place for a longer time, he's seen more of the fruits of his labor--6 tourney appearances in 10 years at a place that only has like 14 appearances all time.

And sure, he's had some 4 and 5 star players. But the reality is FSU is usually at a talent deficit in the majority of their league games. Duke, UNC, Cuse, UL, NCSU, UVA, and even programs like GT and Wake routinely have better rosters. This year you can include VT in that list.
The fact remains that he has been a head coach for 30 years and has a career 56% winning percentage with tenures of 10 years or longer at 2 of those programs. If they are losing out on talent (especially in a talent loaded region) that is completely on him and there's no excuse for it, recruiting is a big part of the job. Especially if you are being out-talented by programs like GT and Wake freakin' Forest. C'mon, man.

The fact remains that he has been a head coach for 30 years and has a career 56% winning percentage with tenures of 10 years or longer at 2 of those programs. If they are losing out on talent (especially in a talent loaded region) that is completely on him and there's no excuse for it, recruiting is a big part of the job. Especially if you are being out-talented by programs like GT and Wake freakin' Forest. C'mon, man.

If you wanna talk about recruiting misses, cool. I’m game. FSU has definitely whiffed on some priority targets in many years. A large part of that is woeful facilities and a recruiting budget that’s more mid-major than high-major.

But when people say he “can’t coach” as in player development and game prep...it just makes them come across as terribly ignorant of college basketball. He’s one of the winningest coaches in ACC history, two-time Big East and ACC CoY, won a big east title at Miami (who almost dropped basketball just before Ham came) and an ACC title at FSU, and gets the better of hall of famers like Coach K, Roy Williams, and Jim Boeheim on a regular basis despite never having a talent advantage over those guys.

People love to say Hamilton gets outcoached when he loses a game but when his teams beat Duke, UNC, Gonzaga, UVA, Xavier, UF, Purdue, or other programs with “great coaches” then he gets none of the credit? Can’t be both ways.

I've watched FSU play 4 times this year and my opinion of them is no different than it has been every other year since Hamilton has been there. They appear to have great athletasism, length and size, but they always look so poorly coached.
They can't hit threes worth a damn, but they fire away at will as soon as they get open.
IDK, if I had a 7' 5" dude on the inside, I would be getting the ball to him often.

That 7’4 dude wasn’t even a starter on his high school team and has extremely limited offensive skills. You’d be a fool to run your offense through him. We are a run and gun team that grabs a shit ton of our own misses and gets to the free throw line early and often. We would like to be the Rockets. Unfortunately, injuries have taken a real toll this year, especially on our perimeter shooting and ability to get out and run.

Despite that, our cast of 2, 3, and 4 stars (Kabengele didn’t even have another high-major offer) has wins over Purdue, UF, LSU, and UConn and will still be dangerous in March.

That 7’4 dude wasn’t even a starter on his high school team and has extremely limited offensive skills. You’d be a fool to run your offense through him. We are a run and gun team that grabs a shit ton of our own misses and gets to the free throw line early and often. We would like to be the Rockets. Unfortunately, injuries have taken a real toll this year, especially on our perimeter shooting and ability to get out and run.

Despite that, our cast of 2, 3, and 4 stars (Kabengele didn’t even have another high-major offer) has wins over Purdue, UF, LSU, and UConn and will still be dangerous in March.

The other teams are a combined 21-15.

Beating Florida by 20 > Purdue by 1

Plus they beat LSU

LSU should have won that game they were leading the whole game and blew a nice lead and let them come back and steal it at the end.

FSU is a pretty decent team they will bounce back and get some quality wins at home.

LSU should have won that game they were leading the whole game and blew a nice lead and let them come back and steal it at the end.

FSU is a pretty decent team they will bounce back and get some quality wins at home.

Of course they'll get some quality wins at home, it's the ACC and they'll have plenty of chances. They'll also have some bad losses on the road. Probably an equal amount.

A lot of people thought they were a top 10 team early on. I think they're more likely a fringe top 25 team. Still good, and capable of beating great teams. Just not top 3-4 seed worthy.

I get what you are saying, but FSU should have won that Duke game.
They took the dumbest shots they could take at key moments in the game.
They hoisted bricks from 3 point range all night long and played right into Duke's hands.
Your guards should have been driving the ball into the lane instead if just taking the first open shot they saw. Those long rebounds ended up being the first pass in Duke's fast break, but they just kept shooting them.
IDK, it's still January, maybe they'll learn how to value the basketball by March.
Looks like you just went through a rough stretch. Lost 4 of your last 5.

ADVERTISEMENT