ADVERTISEMENT

Dynasties

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Think about the multiple Final Four/title-winners; Is recent success more heavily-weighted than history?

For example, is UConn or KU’s recent success more impressive than say a Roy Williams’ or Bobby Knight’s success?

Think about the multiple Final Four/title-winners; Is recent success more heavily-weighted than history?

For example, is UConn or KU’s recent success more impressive than say a Roy Williams’ or Bobby Knight’s success?
When you say heavily weighted, what exactly do you mean? In what context? Who is creating the parameters around the weighting of such accomplishments? How did that person arrive at those parameters? Are their biases involved?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
When you say heavily weighted, what exactly do you mean? In what context? Who is creating the parameters around the weighting of such accomplishments? How did that person arrive at those parameters? Are their biases involved?

Don’t want to get too official with parameters. It’s more just feel and your personal perspective.

What do you think?

Also Welcome!

Don’t want to get too official with parameters. It’s more just feel and your personal perspective.

What do you think?

Also Welcome!
Dude, only took a year to get access to this board. I emailed the moderators like 6 times over the past year to grant me access, would never respond. Eventually emailed subscriptions@rivals.com and was finally granted access lol.

I think to be considered a dynasty, multiple championships must be won during the "reign" of that program where success was found in a certain time period. Like going to a bunch of final fours/championship games in a row or in a defined period of time would not suffice. Have to seal the deal at least twice.

UK - late 40s early 50s, mid to late 90s
UCLA - Wooden
Duke- late 80s early 90s
KU - doesn't qualify
UNC - maybe 05-09??
IU - maybe the early to mid 80s, but they also have NIT appearance sprinkled in during that time span

Controversial take: UF winning back to back in 06-07. But that was followed up with two terrible seasons...so maybe a "mini dynasty?"

Depends on the discussion. All time history everything is weighted equally. Current great programs recent success is definitely weighted more. That's it.
So you think KU’s success is stack ranked as more significant than IU’s history due to recency? I’m not debating you, just confirming.

@dukedevilz

Is there any kind of weighting stat that can give some perspective? Not sure it’s measurable, more just personal opinions?

I understand that it feels that way because not many people were around for things farther back. But should it?
I wrote a well-thought-out response but Rivals has been glitching lately every time I post from mobile and it’s pissing me off, so I won’t re-write it.

• Angry
If all of us were able to choose between adding a recent championship or a title from the 40s, 100% would choose a recent one.
No doubt. I am 37 and have seen UK win 3 championships in my lifetime.

If I had the choice, I would gladly add a recent championship, as that means I would have been able to experience another championship run...

But...in my eyes it doesn't make it any more important than if it were won before I was born.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Tubby and Gillispie owned the 2000s.🤣

He can't be serious. They didn't even reach a final four in that decade.
Exactly. That's where I was going.
UK sucked the second half of that decade. Between Tubby's last two years and the drunk's only two years, UK was tough to watch.

But I will give Tubby some credit for the first half of that decade. He assembled some pretty good teams, especially '03, '04, and '05. Had a couple one seeds in that time frame, but just couldn't get past the Elite 8.

UK lost in '05 Elite 8 to Mich St in double OT. If they would have won, would have gotten UNC in Final Four. Would have been a fun match up (still think UNC wins by 6-8 pts).

But yes, UK was irrelevant for a good part of that decade until Cal was hired.

IU - maybe the early to mid 80s, but they also have NIT appearance sprinkled in during that time span
IU went to FF's in 73, 76, 81, 87 and 92. Elite 8's in 75, 84, 91 and 93. Title in 76, 81 and 87.

Hardly just "maybe" the mid 80's..

IU went to FF's in 73, 76, 81, 87 and 92. Elite 8's in 75, 84, 91 and 93. Title in 76, 81 and 87.

Hardly just "maybe" the mid 80's..
Eh...guess it just comes down to how you define a dynasty, which was kind of the spirit of this particular thread.

I don't think 5 final fours and 3 championships over a 20 year period ('73-'92) would qualify as a dynasty.

In my opinion, if you are using a 20 year period, you have to win more than 3 championships (none of which were close to repeats or 2 in 3 years).

That's why I broke down IUs "potential dynasty" to the early to mid 80s, which again, is a huge maybe in my book.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
UK sucked the second half of that decade. Between Tubby's last two years and the drunk's only two years, UK was tough to watch.

But I will give Tubby some credit for the first half of that decade. He assembled some pretty good teams, especially '03, '04, and '05. Had a couple one seeds in that time frame, but just couldn't get past the Elite 8.

UK lost in '05 Elite 8 to Mich St in double OT. If they would have won, would have gotten UNC in Final Four. Would have been a fun match up (still think UNC wins by 6-8 pts).

But yes, UK was irrelevant for a good part of that decade until Cal was hired.
No, you were right before. Don’t let a couple of cheese dogs sway what you know to be true.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
ADVERTISEMENT