ADVERTISEMENT

Does UMBC upsetting Virginia bring relief to KU fans?

thebasketballreasons

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2013
I read the comments on ESPN article, and it seems that some KU fans were feeling relieved 'cause the first #1 seed to go down in first round didnt turn out to be their school. With Bill Self's choking history, and the fact that KU regularly grabs #1 seeds, it was reasonable to expect that they could've become the first #1 seed to lose to #16. Turned out that they dont have to worry anymore, Virginia took this honor for them. What do you think?

No, it wasn't reasonable to expect. Nice try.

Even with arguably his least talented team, KU has more talent than the likes of Virginia and Xavier. There is often a one seed that is there due to a weak schedule.

Yes! For me, it’s a 100% yes. I’ve always secretly feared it would be KU that lost to a 16 seed. With our history of fvck-ups, I could see that nightmare scenario playing itself out. Thank god it never did.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
Not really. Didn't think KU would be the first for 2 reasons.

1. KU's talent level would be so much higher than the 16 seed they'd play. If any KU team as a #1 seed was going to lose it was going to be a KU team that struggled mightily to score for stretches like the 2012 and 2013 teams. The 2012 team was was a 2 seed and the 2013 team only beat their 16 seed by 7.

2. When having multiple days to prepare, Self's record at KU is really good. Self is 17-4 in 1st rnd, S16, or F4 games. He's 13-9 in games with only 1 days rest.

Reactions: J. Rambo
Not really. Didn't think KU would be the first for 2 reasons.

1. KU's talent level would be so much higher than the 16 seed they'd play. If any KU team as a #1 seed was going to lose it was going to be a KU team that struggled mightily to score for stretches like the 2012 and 2013 teams. The 2012 team was was a 2 seed and the 2013 team only beat their 16 seed by 7.

2. When having multiple days to prepare, Self's record at KU is really good. Self is 17-4 in 1st rnd, S16, or F4 games. He's 13-9 in games with only 1 days rest.

Yep. When Self has a lot of prep time, he always comes up with a great gameplan. Even in the losses. Had an excellent shot to beat a superior Mich St team in 09, but it slipped away in the final minute. And they dominated Trey Burke's Michigan team until an insanely flukey final minute.

The "Killer B's" obviously weren't taken seriously enough by those KU teams.

Every time you call Bill Self a choker you actually mean Izzo.

He's now lost three straight years in the first weekend. Imagine that happened to Kansas. We'd be the Sportcenter-Annointed choke queen

Gee, I guess we can now go ahead and keep getting #1 seeds now that THAT monkey is off our back. Eyeroll

For fack’s sake, people.o_O

F-Yo-Thread.gif

ADVERTISEMENT