ADVERTISEMENT

Does Archie Miller Return To IU Next Year?

Does Archie Miller Return To IU Next Year?

• Yes

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters
IU Basketball has hit the special point where I barely give AF. Our administration has willingly ceded any argument that we're still a blue blood at this point. They need to fire him and make a splash but they'll probably do something ridiculous like bring him back or bring in Alford. Who knew, IU - football school?

I don't really see why the Helm's would have anything to do with what the teams actually did on the court. Who cares what a bread baker retro-actively decided years later?

I don't see any justification for USC as their pick in 40. They got beat in the NCAA tournament. They weren't even in the NIT (which again points out how the NIT that year wasn't all that "prestigious").
Who knows, maybe USC turned down the NIT bid for some reason or another.

I'm not trying to make the statement that the Helms pick is necessarily the winner as in the case of 1940 either. The focus should be more on the fact that there were dueling tournaments and many felt the NIT was the more prestigious tournament because of location.

If the team picked by Helms wasn't in either tournament or the champion of either then I wouldn't count that. I was simply using it as a defining point for the champion if they won a tournament and was also picked as the Helms winner. Like I said before, the NCAA winners are the NCAA winners. There were only 5 years from 1939-1982 that the Helms winner wasn't the NCAA champion. Why they decided to pick USC in 1940 for example is a good question. I'd be very interested to know why they went that rout.

In any case, there were times when teams played in both and the winner of the NIT didn't win the NCAA. There could be many reasons why, but the fact that they didn't is a good data point to use as well.

NIT was considered dirty at the time because it was held at MSG by some not reputable people.

It really is an interesting history with what happened.

Prize fighting wasn't on the up and up and those same people became involved in college basketball...
This is what happened with I believe CCNY. They were busted for point shaving.

The center of the basketball world was NYC and it was loaded with talent. A lot of those players went to those schools in NY that played in the NIT.

The big public schools is what really started to push the issue with the NCAA.

It wiped the NIT off the map for good reason.
But some of those years the better schools played in the NIT. There was no reason for them to play in the NCAA.

The big public schools especially in what is now known as the B1G used the NCAA to pretty much attack the NIT...

A lot of those schools ended up being attacked by the NCAA for cheating.

I have to do the research. The name slips my mind. He was punished by the NCAA. He was a coach at one of the private colleges in the NY area at the time.

My top choices:

1) Keep Archie Miller, lol.

2) Hire Steve Alford, he’d KILL it and be so good at explaining to stud HS recruits that he was so good back in the ‘80s!

3) Bruce Pearl, as it’d REALLY heat up Illini/Indiana games again, and he’d obviously get them on probation soon enough.

IMO it boils down to who can IU hire. If Archie is let go it means someone very qualified has said yes behind the scenes. They won’t pay his buyout and take another gamble on an iffy candidate.

Looks like Archie Miller is gone, but who is actually going to IU? Despite being a blue blood, IU has not had tournament success in a very long time. The school/fans have high expectations, even their coaching candidates list looks unrealistic and delusional. They expect Brad Stevens, and likely will get another Tom Crean or Archie Miller. IU's job is just nowhere near as attractive as IU fans hype it to be, perhaps they need a rude awakening at some point.

Reactions: RichardMassive
Looks like Archie Miller is gone, but who is actually going to IU? Despite being a blue blood, IU has not had tournament success in a very long time. The school/fans have high expectations, even their coaching candidates list looks unrealistic and delusional. They expect Brad Stevens, and likely will get another Tom Crean or Archie Miller. IU's job is just nowhere near as attractive as IU fans hype it to be, perhaps they need a rude awakening at some point.
If Archie wasn’t a “rude awakening”, what will be?

If Archie wasn’t a “rude awakening”, what will be?

The fact that IU's job is nowhere near as attractive as IU fans think it is. Its funny to read each time IU fans talk as if Brad Stevens or a head coach of similar caliber is going to IU. A rude awakening will make you guys realize that, no such big names will consider IU and you will have to settle with the likes of Archie Miller and hope that one of these young and yet unproven rising coaches will somehow turn into greatness. As long as IU board and fans still dream of Brad Stevens, its a sign that they still live in illusion, which wont help them anything in the real world.

The fact that IU's job is nowhere near as attractive as IU fans think it is. Its funny to read each time IU fans talk as if Brad Stevens or a head coach of similar caliber is going to IU. A rude awakening will make you guys realize that, no such big names will consider IU and you will have to settle with the likes of Archie Miller and hope that one of these young and yet unproven rising coaches will somehow turn into greatness. As long as IU board and fans still dream of Brad Stevens, its a sign that they still live in illusion, which wont help them anything in the real world.
I’m a Purdue fan, and any IU fan with half a brain knows that Stevens or Donovan are not going to happen.

IU board should make an official apology to Tom Crean and beg him to return to Indiana. During the last 20-30 years, IU had by far the most success under him. They even snatched a top seed in the NCAA tournament in 2013, the only time they were relevant in March Madness. Id be surprised if the next 2-3 hires of IU can be as successful as Crean was in his Hoosiers days.

Your characterization of IU fans’ interest in Stevens is inaccurate. Many of us want him, very few of us think we have a realistic chance of getting him.

Reactions: IUBtown
IMO it boils down to who can IU hire. If Archie is let go it means someone very qualified has said yes behind the scenes. They won’t pay his buyout and take another gamble on an iffy candidate.

posters on our home board seem to think Mack is a target.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
posters on our home board seem to think Mack is a target.

IMO, and it pains me to say, but that’s a lateral move at best. Considering his wife is from Louisville that’s a no. I’m starting to believe it’s one of these. Matta, Drew, Pitino, Beilein,.............. Steven’s. Going in most likely hood but just from reading and thinking. You don’t spend 10mil to let go a guy unless you have a good idea who is gonna replace him. Also gives Archie more time to find a better job to offset the buyout.

IU board should make an official apology to Tom Crean and beg him to return to Indiana. During the last 20-30 years, IU had by far the most success under him. They even snatched a top seed in the NCAA tournament in 2013, the only time they were relevant in March Madness. Id be surprised if the next 2-3 hires of IU can be as successful as Crean was in his Hoosiers days.

Shut up Tom.

Solid troll because it is the truth.

bUt tOM cReAn cAnT cOAcH

Meh......Davis for the circumstances, actually did a nice job. 4 NCAAT's in 6 seasons. Finished in the Top 4 (Big 10) 4 times....And of course, played for the title in 2002. Crean did win 2 Big 10 titles, and go to 3 SW's...but the times in between were pretty bad. Sampson, coaching wise, was a great hire. 44-15, 21-8 in his 1+ years. IU was 22-3, ranked top 10 when he resigned/fired.

We shall see what Dolson does...

Scott Drew is about to get a statue.

Baylor has deep pockets....

He isn't leaving for Indiana. They can't pay more than Baylor, they don't have the access to talent that Baylor has and Scott Drew will never be on the hot seat at Baylor.

Let's be reasonable

He isn't leaving for Indiana. They can't pay more than Baylor, they don't have the access to talent that Baylor has and Scott Drew will never be on the hot seat at Baylor.

Let's be reasonable
IU can pay what is needed....They just had ONE dude pay a $10 milion dollar buyout..

Access to talent? You mean like Chicago, St.Louis, Ohio, and of course, Indiana.

Scott Drew is from Indiana...His dad was a legendary HS coach in Indiana...He has Indiana roots...Is well known in the state..

I think we are being reasonable..

IU can pay what is needed....They just had ONE dude pay a $10 milion dollar buyout..

Access to talent? You mean like Chicago, St.Louis, Ohio, and of course, Indiana.

Scott Drew is from Indiana...His dad was a legendary HS coach in Indiana...He has Indiana roots...Is well known in the state..

Big Ten money dwarfs Big 12 money. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened. Big Ten already stole Underwood from the Big 12

Baptist Church....

There isn't a basketball power in Texas. There will be one in the next 5-10 years. Baylor believes it to be them.

Baylor has better access to talent. Don't get me wrong Indiana has access as well but the difference is that the schools are a lot more established.

Like I told you before

Brad Stevens is your best option.

Let's be reasonable
Dafuq? As a Purdue fan, I wanted Archie to get a lifetime contract but the above is so flawed. LOL.

Reactions: duckboy33
Baptist Church....

There isn't a basketball power in Texas. There will be one in the next 5-10 years. Baylor believes it to be them.

Baylor has better access to talent. Don't get me wrong Indiana has access as well but the difference is that the schools are a lot more established.

Like I told you before

Brad Stevens is your best option.
Are you implying that IU has a better chance of getting Stevens than Drew? RollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh

• Haha
Reactions: duckboy33
Big Ten money dwarfs Big 12 money. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happened. Big Ten already stole Underwood from the Big 12

Conference money isn't the only money a school has access to.
Reason why Texas makes more money than all those schools.

Baylor has a lot of deep pocket boosters plus the Baptist Church itself

ADVERTISEMENT