ADVERTISEMENT

Do Arkansas fans actually think Cal will succeed there?

Neither of you, but the fans in general got really annoying once Joe got there. You have won exactly **** all, so how about you sit down and STFU. Way too much noise for one SB run where you still lost.
It hasn't been easy being a Bengals fan the past 30 years prior to Burrow and co. They were probably the worst franchise in the NFL during the Shula, Coslet, and LeBeau eras and the epitome of mediocre during Marvin's tenure. They deserve to yap a little after that stretch of awful.

It hasn't been easy being a Bengals fan the past 30 years prior to Burrow and co. They were probably the worst franchise in the NFL during the Shula, Coslet, and LeBeau eras and the epitome of mediocre during Marvin's tenure. They deserve to yap a little after that stretch of awful.

I will grant you that, doesnt mean I want them to succeed though lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
He might be, but that money isn’t going to correct his mismanagement, subpar Xs & Os strategizing. I wish them all the success UK has had recently under his reign.

I think the "Robic was responsible for everything Calipari ever accomplished" narrative is a little goofy. I don't doubt that he had an impact, but if he were the difference between routinely going to the final four and the results of the last few years, I'm pretty sure the dude would have built a solid career for himself as a head coach. Instead, he flamed out in his one HC gig and went directly back to being an assistant.

The biggest difference over the last several years is that Kentucky wasn't getting the generational freaks like Davis anymore, and recent teams didn't have quite the same mix of top shelf talent and experience.

It's not like the teams that lost to St Peter's and Oakland didn't have the ability to win those games (and go much further). They obviously did. They just choked. Happens to literally everyone.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
From a thread on House of Blue about PER

Z 23.9
Reeves 23.6
Shepherd 23.6
Dillingham 23.5
Thiero 17.7
Bradshaw 17.6
Mitchel 17.1
Edwards 16.2
Ugo 15.9
Wagner 12.7
Burks 12.5

Starters vs Oakland

DJ 12.5
Reeves 23.6
Edwards 16.2
Mitchel 17.1
Ugo 15.9

4 of our top 5 PER guys and 5 of our top 6 on the bench to start an opening round tournament game. Including starting 2 centers against a zone.

The lack of minutes that Shepherd, Reeves and Dilly played together this season was criminal.

If i didn’t know better i’d say Cal was actually point shaving.

Have fun with that Arkansas fans.

I wish Arkansas fans had basketball fans to participate here. Kind of weird to be the “hot topic” and doing all the crowing their press is pushing yet have zero representation on a national board.

Maybe it’s just me. They’ll be where we were soon enough.

The only way I see Cal succeeding is if he turns over his offense completely to a basketball version of an OC and defense to a DC. Or hire one person with enough knowledge for both.

Which he won't.

If anyone has ever followed Cal and analyzed his winning, they would see that it's entirely tied and correlated to having John Robic as an assistant. He has literally accomplished nothing without the man.

But I guess keep thinking you actually got something because there's an HOF next to his name, Hog fans...
Depends on the definition of success. Arkansas had some pretty awful years before Muss. Will Cal be more successful than what they were before hiring Muss? I’d say without a doubt. Will he turn Arkansas into a top 5 program? Of course not.

UK doesn’t need a coach to be relevant. They can take a chance on an up and comer and they also recruit themselves. If they make a mistake, they’ll start over.

Arkansas has gone that route for several years and it failed miserably until Muss. They also know that with the right coach, the money, enthusiasm, and support is there, but that isn’t a guarantee. Especially, when you go out and hire a guy after the previous coach rose the expectation level.

Also, a few points. One, there’s a lot Cal did there that you guys take for granted. More importantly, UK is hiring a guy that’s made it to 2 tournaments as a 6 seed and never won an NCAA tournament game. He hasn’t achieved much of anything. You guys can take that chance because he’ll be able to recruit to kentucky just based on the name. That wouldn’t be the case at Arkansas.

Consider the fact that Mark Pope is the best UK could do and where would that have left Arkansas if Cal wasn’t hired? Will Cal be more successful than whatever coach Arkansas would have had in his place? It’s fairly easy for me to say most likely.

I wish Arkansas fans had basketball fans to participate here. Kind of weird to be the “hot topic” and doing all the crowing their press is pushing yet have zero representation on a national board.

Are they “crowing” or just using the excitement to sell a product?

Are they “crowing” or just using the excitement to sell a product?
Read articles by an AR writers about how UK fans were upset their coach got stolen away, along with their recruits, when in fact it’s quite the opposite. There are very few UK fans who feel that way. We see Cal as Arky’s problem now.

Read articles by an AR writers about how UK fans were upset their coach got stolen away, along with their recruits, when in fact it’s quite the opposite. There are very few UK fans who feel that way. We see Cal as Arky’s problem now.
What are UK fans going to do if Cal kicks ass at Arky?

Reactions: fleckabelly
It’s almost as if the Ickey Shuffle never happened in your world.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
It’s almost as if the Ickey Shuffle never happened in your world.
Oh it did, but that was the last time the Bengals were any good, 35-36 years ago during the Sam Wyche era. Ickey still lives in Cincinnati. Stayed there after his brief NFL career. He goes to all the Bengals games, tailgates, and sits in the nosebleeds with the poors. He’s a man of the people.

• Love
Reactions: Brushy Bill

I do not come to rivals much during the off season for obvious reasons but I still lurk now and them.

What are we supposed to be doing? Coming in here to argue with Kentucky fans about how bad Cal is? From our perspective, we just hired a hall of fame coach. There are not many programs that get to say that after coaching searches, including Kentucky this time around. We should be excited. You guys have put on a brave face but your heart is hurting. He dumped you before you got to dump him. :p

What if he wins a Natty for Arky or better yet, a FF?
Go to bed, just have sweet dreams about UK young lady. 🤣

goodnight-goldengirls.gif

What are we supposed to be doing? Coming in here to argue with Kentucky fans about how bad Cal is? From our perspective, we just hired a hall of fame coach. There are not many programs that get to say that after coaching searches, including Kentucky this time around. We should be excited. You guys have put on a brave face but your heart is hurting. He dumped you before you got to dump him. :p

200w.gif

Like I said, though, my point has more to do with their purpose. They are selling a product and they can reach far more customers if they can trigger their emotions. That works both ways.

I don’t think the vast majority of Arkansas fans believe they “stole” Cal from kentucky or that his relationship with kentucky fans wasn’t getting more toxic by the year.

That said, the amount of UK fans that have tried to convince themselves and Arkansas fans that they are ecstatic and that Arkansas is getting someone that can’t win, just looks like sour grapes.

Reactions: mtsuhog85
Like I said, though, my point has more to do with their purpose. They are selling a product and they can reach far more customers if they can trigger their emotions. That works both ways.

I don’t think the vast majority of Arkansas fans believe they “stole” Cal from kentucky or that his relationship with kentucky fans wasn’t getting more toxic by the year.

That said, the amount of UK fans that have tried to convince themselves and Arkansas fans that they are ecstatic and that Arkansas is getting someone that can’t win, just looks like sour grapes.
UK fans convinced themselves that Cal was the worst, but they need to just look to their brothers Louisville. If Pope drops them down to UL level and Cal makes a deep run in the NCAA it will be hilarious.

UK fans convinced themselves that Cal was the worst, but they need to just look to their brothers Louisville. If Pope drops them down to UL level and Cal makes a deep run in the NCAA it will be hilarious.

I don’t think Pope is going to do anything great personally but he’s still worlds better than Kenny Payne thank god.

But there were Kentucky fans that wanted to give Payne a chance if Cal had hung it up a few years back. None of them will ever own up to it now but that was a thing on House of Blue a few years ago.

We have some really dumb fans.

What are UK fans going to do if Cal kicks ass at Arky?
We will wonder why he didn’t make the changes he had to make while he was at UK.

The only way Cal wins big at Arkansas, is if he changes almost everything he's been doing. He’s been forcing a square peg into a round hole for a long time, there for a while, it was hidden by ultra elite talent and size, but now, the game is more physical, more spread out, the offenses are better and the coaching is better, so even teams as talented as 24 UK, struggle. Cal lost 10 games with that team.

The biggest thing he has to change (he won’t) is his "players first" thing. What he doesn't get is, every coach is 'players first', they just don’t allow the players to pout when they don't start (Wheeler, Edwards, DJ, Boston, Askew) and they play the guys who earn it, not the ones that they made promises to.

Not only that, but it’s very telling that staff keeps leaving and only his 'Yes men' stay. Welch is gone and Antigua tried very hard to keep his UK job, but Pope said no. So Cal has Kenny Payne, Chin Coleman (who was UK's defensive mind last year, we finished 109th) and Bruiser Flint, who does nothing but violently chew gum. Cal us not very easy to work with, narcissists usually aren't.

Unless Cal gets some John Wall, or AD type players out of the portal, I feel confident in saying he isn't going to do too well this year at Arky.

Last edited:
I don’t think Pope is going to do anything great personally but he’s still worlds better than Kenny Payne thank god.

But there were Kentucky fans that wanted to give Payne a chance if Cal had hung it up a few years back. None of them will ever own up to it now but that was a thing on House of Blue a few years ago.

We have some really dumb fans.
You'll find no argument here.

I personally think all Cal needed was some adjustment. He is capable, but his focus shifted. A good AD should have been able to do that.

I do not come to rivals much during the off season for obvious reasons but I still lurk now and them.

You'll see.

Reactions: HawgPound
We will wonder why he didn’t make the changes he had to.make while he was at UK.

The only way Cal wins big at Arkansas, is if he changes almost everything he's been doing. He’s been forcing a square peg into a round hole for a long time, there for a while, it was hidden by ultra elite talent and size, but now, the game is more physical, more spread out, the offenses are better and the coaching is better, so even teams as talented as 24 UK, struggle. Cal lost 10 games with that team.

The biggest thing he has to change (he won’t) is his "players first" thing. What he doesn't get is, every coach is 'players first', they just don’t allow the players to pout when they don't start (Wheeler, Edwards, DJ, Boston, Askew) and they play the guys who earn it, not the ones that they made promises to.

Not only that, but it’s very telling that staff keeps leaving and only his 'Yes men' stay. Welch is gone and Antigua tried very hard to keep his UK job, but Pope said no. So Cal has Kenny Payne, Chin Coleman (who was UK's defensive mind last year, we finished 109th) and Bruiser Flint, who does nothing but violently chew gum. Cal us not very easy to work with, narcissists usually aren't.

Unless Cal gets some John Wall, or AD type players out of the portal, I feel confident in saying he isn't going to do too well this year at Arky.
Well, it is must see TV and that is for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT