ADVERTISEMENT

Could Coach K Replicate

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
what so many other top-tier coaches have proven by succeeding at other schools/conferences/gigs (i.e. Saban, Roy Williams, Urban Meyer, Cal, Billy Donovan, Pitino and so on . . . ) or do you think he prefers the safety of his school? Age clearly isn't a factor as he keeps showing up every season.

Say KU came calling if Self is dismissed or Arizona if Miller were dismissed, and they presented the opportunity to test his mettle elsewhere.

Disclaimer; This is obviously for S & Gs, so please don't embarrass yourself by taking such hypotheticals so seriously. Please just play along or watch.

1330545_AP_155880204000.jpg

Last edited:
Coaches like him would win anywhere they went---Especially another blue blood.

Could he? Well sure, but I think age IS an issue. The guys who switched schools... how old were they? I think moving schools at 70 would be tricky. That said, a legend showing up and coaching at your school, no matter what school it would be... that would be BIG news, and would likely create a TON of excitement.

IU would be a OAD school within two years (3+ OAD on the team). And the fans would love it.

what so many other top-tier coaches have proven by succeeding at other schools/conferences/gigs (i.e. Saban, Roy Williams, Urban Meyer, Cal, Billy Donovan, Pitino and so on . . . ) or do you think he prefers the safety of his school? Age clearly isn't a factor as he keeps showing up every season.

Say KU came calling if Self is dismissed or Arizona if Miller were dismissed, and they presented the opportunity to test his mettle elsewhere.

Disclaimer; This is obviously for S & Gs, so please don't embarrass yourself by taking such hypotheticals so seriously. Please just play along or watch.

We will never know because he is too old.

Additionally how many other schools would the NCAA look the other way?

Answer: not a damned one.

We will never know because he is too old.

Additionally how many other schools would the NCAA look the other way?

Answer: not a damned one.
Not too old. He just won’t have to. No need for him to leave.

Any proof to looking the other way Burt?

I was just thinking the same thing...about Cal. He’s never coached in a basketball league before. C-USA before conference re-alignment was the best conference he’s coached in. When most of those teams joined the Big East, he dominated the conference (and Memphis used to host the conference tournament). What would Cal look like in the former Big East Conference? Old and new ACC Conference? I know he’s played ACC teams while in the SEC and his record against Louisville is staggering, but what would it look like having to play those teams (Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, FSU, Notre Dame, etc) twice a year + conference tournament.

I was just thinking the same thing...about HOF Cal.

Winking

Also, Calipari at UK has an overall winning record against the ACC. It could be just because he coaches at UK, as UK has an overall winning record against the ACC.

*nothing against the ACC. I have no reason to discredit anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Coaches like him would win anywhere they went---Especially another blue blood.

Duke wasn't considered elite until Coach K went there.
Unlike the other big name schools Duke hasn't won at a high level without Coach K.

Before Duke it was UNC vs NC State as the big rivarly on Tobacco Road.
Don't know if Duke will fall that much but I can see them as another UCLA.
Chasing the ghost of Coach K

Billy Donovan could be a free man after this year.
Does KU push Self out to bring in Donovan.

Unlike the other big name schools Duke hasn't won at a high level without Coach K.

I don't know their complete history, but Duke did make the Final Four in '66 and the Championship game in '78.

I can't remember who ended those seasons.

I don't know their complete history, but Duke did make the Final Four in '66 and the Championship game in '78.

I can't remember who ended those seasons.

Point is he didn't go to a Blue Blood program.
He made one.
Certain coaches can win everywhere while certain coaches can win at certain schools.

The coaches that can win anywhere are few and far between and are very difficult to replace.

He made one.
Certain coaches can win everywhere whole certain coaches can win at certain schools.

The coaches that can win anywhere are few and far between and are very difficult to replace.
I agree, we've been very fortunate to have 5 different coaches win a title. It won't be easy to replace Calipari.

Some schools rely on one coach. IU, UCLA, Duke, etc.

I agree, we've been very fortunate to have 5 different coaches win a title. It won't be easy to replace Calipari.

Friend of mine is a big time Kentucky fan and been around the program for a long time speaks of Kentucky basketball as Hindu mythology

The creator
The preserver
The destroyer

Rupp
Joe B Hall
Sutton

Pitino
Tubby
Billy Clyde

Calipari

I wouldn't care if he won with midgets....As long as he won.

most of your fanbase does not feel that way
on your home board most of them say they want nothing to do with a core team of OAD players
they would rather have third tier 4 year players and hope you hit /they hit lightning in a bottle every 30 years or so

Last edited:
on your home board most of them say they want nothing to do with a core team of OAD players
they would rather have third tier 4 year players and hope you hit they hit lightning in a bottle every 30 years or so
IU has a homeboard?

I was just thinking the same thing...about Cal. He’s never coached in a basketball league before. C-USA before conference re-alignment was the best conference he’s coached in. When most of those teams joined the Big East, he dominated the conference (and Memphis used to host the conference tournament). What would Cal look like in the former Big East Conference? Old and new ACC Conference? I know he’s played ACC teams while in the SEC and his record against Louisville is staggering, but what would it look like having to play those teams (Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Virginia, FSU, Notre Dame, etc) twice a year + conference tournament.

Duke and UNC don't play all those teams twice a year. Plus UK was winning in the SEC long before the ACC could do jack shit in the NCAA.

I'll grant you that Duke didn't have Blue Blood status when K arrived. But, they were still a very elite level program. Top 10 in wins and Final Fours.

All-Time Wins when K arrived:
  1. UK 1264
  2. UNC 1203
  3. KU 1198
  4. St. Johns 1193
  5. Penn 1175
  6. Oregon St 1165
  7. Notre Dame 1125
  8. Washington 1124
  9. Duke 1113
  10. Temple 1101
Most Final Fours:

1. UCLA 14
2. Ohio State 8
2. Kentucky 8
4. UNC 7
5. Kansas 6
6. Cincinnati 5

7. Duke 4
7. Indiana 4
7. Louisville 4
7. Oklahoma St 4
7. Kansas State 4

The only other schools that were in the top 10 in both categories were Kentucky, UNC, and Kansas.

they would rather have third tier 4 year players and hope you hit /they hit lightning in a bottle every 30 years or so
Meh....most fanbases say this---Until they start getting them. Is what it is. I wouldn't like the idea of reloading every single year. But I could get use to it if it panned out. Plus...Well, I mean there is a solid argument against a core team of OAD's. Sure it has shown to produce a lot of wins...deep NCAA runs. But very little titles. MOF, UK from 2012 is the one time I can think of---Maybe Duke in 2015. But UK in 2012 probably doesn't win the title w/o dudes like Lamb and Jones....And especially Miller.

He made one.
Certain coaches can win everywhere while certain coaches can win at certain schools.

Who said he did?

You really don't think "K"could win anywhere?

Some schools rely on one coach. IU, UCLA, Duke, etc.
Except IU has TWO HOF coaches, with multiple national titles. McCraken won 364 games, and two national titles at Indiana. I think some folks rather A) forget that, or B), didn't know...

I think he could reach the peak of every program. Don't know if every program has the peak of a National Championship.

Regarding going to another blue blood. Coach K never went to a blue blood. Like I said he created one.
Who said he did? Also, Duke had a pretty storied history before "K". Top 10 in wins and FF's. Only thing missing was a National title. Had they won one, or two, they certainly would have been considered a "Blue Blood". I know some wanna rag on Duke as only being K...And there is some truth to that. But Duke wasn't some Pepperdine when K arrived. MOF, they were mere two years removed from playing for a National Title when K arrived in 1980.

Wasn't all Bobby Knight at IU.
But Knight is probably the only one we can use as example.
I know Roy went from Kansas to UNC as well but Roy never won a NC at Kansas.

Regarding Knight.
He never reached the peak at Texas Tech. He was consistent and won for an extended time.
Truthfully IMO you can say Knight was half way out the door when he arrived in Lubbock and was trying to build a program for his son.
Unlike his early days at Army and then Indiana

The difference between coach Knight and the rat is Coach Knight did not cheat or pay to get players.

The difference between coach Knight and the rat is Coach Knight did not cheat or pay to get players.
Remember that scene in Blue Chips, where the player ask the coach for something and he tell him to get the hell out....Yeah, that's how I picture someone asking Knight for money. I'm pretty sure Knight would rather fist fight someone instead of paying them off.....or shoot bird shot onto their property.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
ADVERTISEMENT