ADVERTISEMENT

CBS sports Top 10 jobs in basketball

There’s the passion UConn fans promised me! 🤣

They don’t deserve back to back titles…
Funny I was at AFH on Dec 1st when I heard the UConn, UConn, UConn cheer that was eventually drowned out by the Lawrence crowd. Go to a UConn game at Gampel Pavilion or Madison Square Garden for that matter and then tell me about UConn’s fan base. Here’s a quote to chew on, “if you ever find yourself the victim of other people’s bitterness or jealousy, lies and insecurities, don’t be mad. Just remember things could be worse, you could be them. “

Funny I was at AFH on Dec 1st when I heard the UConn, UConn, UConn cheer that was eventually drowned out by the Lawrence crowd. Go to a UConn game at Gampel Pavilion or Madison Square Garden for that matter and then tell me about UConn’s fan base. Here’s a quote to chew on, “if you ever find yourself the victim of other people’s bitterness or jealousy, lies and insecurities, don’t be mad. Just remember things could be worse, you could be them. “

I don't have anything against UConn, but I wouldn't say the fan support compares well to other top programs.

Glad you guys are here to police every comment about UConn though. 13 months ago, none of you would have seen it. 😆

I don't have anything against UConn, but I wouldn't say the fan support compares well to other top programs.

Glad you guys are here to police every comment about UConn though. 13 months ago, none of you would have seen it. 😆
They're here now though. Can't hate the players.

Reactions: Five Nattys
Acc is about to implode. That’s gonna impact a team like duke that doesn’t have. A landing spot

how many A listers were even in the running for those jobs? That's the point. IU isn't shopping at the same store as Kentucky these days.
To make the clim you did you need to be able to answer that question.

Do I have you Stevens, who are the rest?

Oh, and,, Woody was hardly a career assistant.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Indiana HC position has opened up a couple times in recent years yet no A listers ever appear to be interested. That should tell you all you need to know about the perceived value of coaching Indiana these days.
But they did-----and IU went elsewhere. IU buried themselves with the hiring of Davis. When it opened, guys like Belein, Matta, that Calipari guy, etc....were interested. IU wanted a minority hire-----SO they went with Sampson. Which was a very good hire...…

Administrtion has been the issue....Not the job. They had their minds made up. Cal was highly interested in the job when KS resigned----IU wanted nothing to do with him. To much baggage. SO they hired Crean….

Then went with flavor of the month----Miller. And TBF, many thought that was a slam dunk hire.

As each coaching search has came, IU powers to be have dug the whole deeper and deeper and deeper.

And lets be fair here......UNC hired Davis....Duke Scheyer…..UL has wiffed multiple times....And now UK apparently is hiring Pope. Its not just Indiana. Coaches are staying put....Why go to a HIGH profile job that comes with immense pressure, when you can win at UCONN, Gonzaga, Baylor, ALabama, etc, etc....w/o the pressure of an IU, UCLA, UK, etc....

Leaving IU off the list is laziness.

your last two hires were Archie Miller and Mike Woodson. Miller came from a mid major and Woodson was a career NBA assistant. That's hardly shopping off the top shelf of the super market.
IU didn't shop at the high end, because the administration didn't wanna "ruin " the IU image. They went with "hot names", and image---opposed to guys who could coach. Indiana's powers to be had their minds made up on what they wanted-----not WHO they wanted.

Woodson hire was a horrible, forced fed hire by Buckner and Thomas. Screaming for an "IU guy.".

I really thought Dolson would change this patern.

Doesn’t help your argument that so many coaches have struggled there.

But I agree that it should be fairly high on the list, largely due to NIL.
Simply bad hires.....Again, an inept administration. Noting to do with the job. Indiana provides every amenity that UK, Duke, UNC, KU offers.....Facilities, tradition, fan base, money----not to mention an absolute hot bead for recruiting....

NIL only adds to that.

Bad decisions the past 30 years has put IU in the position they are in----not the job.

No way Arkansas is a top 6 job by any metric, but the NIL has changed the future of basketball. There’s not a lot of teams that can match what a few Arkansas boosters are willing to throw out. 5-6m per year with 8m added for a coach can make a job a lot more attractive than other jobs considered more prestigious. Add to that facilities that are near the top and a fan base that can be as rabid as anyone’s.

Reactions: MGO2022
But they did-----and IU went elsewhere. IU buried themselves with the hiring of Davis. When it opened, guys like Belein, Matta, that Calipari guy, etc....were interested. IU wanted a minority hire-----SO they went with Sampson. Which was a very good hire...…

Administrtion has been the issue....Not the job. They had their minds made up. Cal was highly interested in the job when KS resigned----IU wanted nothing to do with him. To much baggage. SO they hired Crean….

Then went with flavor of the month----Miller. And TBF, many thought that was a slam dunk hire.

As each coaching search has came, IU powers to be have dug the whole deeper and deeper and deeper.

And lets be fair here......UNC hired Davis....Duke Scheyer…..UL has wiffed multiple times....And now UK apparently is hiring Pope. Its not just Indiana. Coaches are staying put....Why go to a HIGH profile job that comes with immense pressure, when you can win at UCONN, Gonzaga, Baylor, ALabama, etc, etc....w/o the pressure of an IU, UCLA, UK, etc....

Lol.... it really is impressive how the uninformed have such incorrect opinions. I guess your forgot that UConn fired a guy who a national championship four seasons earlier.

Reactions: englandnu
Lol.... it really is impressive how the uninformed have such incorrect opinions. I guess your forgot that UConn fired a guy who a national championship four seasons earlier.
I didn't forget....I guess possibly you forgot he was fired with "just cause" over NCAA violations. And was given a 3-year show cause. Ollie sued, and eventually it was found that UCONN improperly fired him.

He was fired b/c he broke rules.

I didn't forget....I guess possibly you forgot he was fired with "just cause" over NCAA violations. And was given a 3-year show cause. Ollie sued, and eventually it was found that UCONN improperly fired him.

He was fired b/c he broke rules.

That’s incorrect. He was fired because he was losing and the program was heading off a cliff. The infractions were used to try and negotiate his buyout which was $11 million. UConn lost that argument.

That’s incorrect. He was fired because he was losing and the program was heading off a cliff. The infractions were used to try and negotiate his buyout which was $11 million. UConn lost that argument.
and sanctions......He wasnt fired just due to not winning. Also, as you even mentioned----the program was headed off a cliff. Its not like he was going to the NCAAT, early exits, and was fired. He was having losing seasons: 16-17, then 14-18----add the sanctions, and well, it wasn't a hard decision.

Hurley could never win another title, and as long as he doesn't do what Ollie did, i.e. 3 staright missed NCAAT's, back to back losing seasons AND NCAA sanctions-----he'll be a lifer. I mean that'll get ya fired from any job, bro.

I'll allow it.

That said, his actual point was well made in that Indiana has a legitimate story here. We just got into the Coach swap game early.

and sanctions......He wasnt fired just due to not winning. Also, as you even mentioned----the program was headed off a cliff. Its not like he was going to the NCAAT, early exits, and was fired. He was having losing seasons: 16-17, then 14-18----add the sanctions, and well, it wasn't a hard decision.

Hurley could never win another title, and as long as he doesn't do what Ollie did, i.e. 3 staright missed NCAAT's, back to back losing seasons AND NCAA sanctions-----he'll be a lifer. I mean that'll get ya fired from any job, bro.

We’re going to have agreed to disagree and I can assure you I know way more about this situation then you do. The other element was they had Hurley locked up before they fired Ollie.

The sanctions were a joke:

“three Level I violations stemming from the following: summer pick-up games that should have counted toward allowable team activities, a video coordinator engaging in impermissible coaching instruction and a booster providing extra benefits to student-athletes. The extra benefits were provided by a private trainer and included training, lodging, meals and local transportation.”

You think Bill Self would get fired for any of the above ? lol. None of the above are fireable offenses. I can assure you he was fired because of the losing and the direction of the program and Hurley.

We’re going to have agreed to disagree and I can assure you I know way more about this situation then you do. The other element was they had Hurley locked up before they fired Ollie.

The sanctions were a joke:

“three Level I violations stemming from the following: summer pick-up games that should have counted toward allowable team activities, a video coordinator engaging in impermissible coaching instruction and a booster providing extra benefits to student-athletes. The extra benefits were provided by a private trainer and included training, lodging, meals and local transportation.”

You think Bill Self would get fired for any of the above ? lol. None of the above are fireable offenses. I can assure you he was fired because of the losing and the direction of the program and Hurley.
You took what I said, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to personal. If you think the pressure at UCONN is the same as it as UK, you're cray, cray.... Its not like I said you could lose your ass off, and still keep your job. But you think if Ollie had Cals resume at UCONN, he'd be looking for a job today?----I don't. If Ollie stayed at UCONN for 15 years---won a natty, wernt to 4 FF's, 7 E8's, won 6 conference titles, etc----then had the last 4 years Cal has had----He wouldn't face the critcisim Cal is facing; or was.

Point is-----and this isn't breaking news----The pressure to win at UCONN, or Bayor, or Gonzaga, IS NOT the same as it is at UNC, KU, UK, etc....Its just not. And even with 6 NCAAT titles.

You took what I said, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to personal. If you think the pressure at UCONN is the same as it as UK, you're cray, cray.... Its not like I said you could lose your ass off, and still keep your job. But you think if Ollie had Cals resume at UCONN, he'd be looking for a job today?----I don't. If Ollie stayed at UCONN for 15 years---won a natty, wernt to 4 FF's, 7 E8's, won 6 conference titles, etc----then had the last 4 years Cal has had----He wouldn't face the critcisim Cal is facing; or was.

Point is-----and this isn't breaking news----The pressure to win at UCONN, or Bayor, or Gonzaga, IS NOT the same as it is at UNC, KU, UK, etc....Its just not. And even with 6 NCAAT titles.

lol….chill out… I’m not sure what you are talking about taking it personal. Like zero clue . I pointed out that UConn fired a guy that had won an NC to demonstrate the immense pressure there is at UConn - a point which you are incorrectly challenging. You should really be thanking me for ensuring that you don’t continue to hold to an incorrect assumption.

Personally, I’d say UK is on another level due to their crazies. The rest Id day is equivalent . And I’d also argue the pressure to win at UConnis greater than it is at UCLA.

Regarding Cal and UK, I think everyone can agree they just made a mistake — trading Cal for Pope …. lol. And i can guarantee that 4 years of what Cal just had at any blue blood would have made the fanbases restless including UConn.

And comparing UConn to Gonzaga and Baylor …. lol…. UConn is in a different stratosphere.

Also, I would encourage anyone to not use the term “cray cray” …. makes a person sound like a pubescent school girl .

We have sucked ass.....but IU not being on this list is dumb as ****. Arkansas being #6 is even dumber. ANd being real here, UCONN is not a Top 5 job. People mistaken winning, with "good job.
It’s easily a top 5 job. Should maybe be higher. Great fan support , in between the 1st and 10th largest TV markets , in the most productive area of the country for basketball talent and in a league where they are by far the best program.

Reactions: huskiesnyc
lol….chill out… I’m not sure what you are talking about taking it personal. Like zero clue . I pointed out that UConn fired a guy that had won an NC to demonstrate the immense pressure there is at UConn - a point which you are incorrectly challenging. You should really be thanking me for ensuring that you don’t continue to hold to an incorrect assumption.

Personally, I’d say UK is on another level due to their crazies. The rest Id day is equivalent . And I’d also argue the pressure to win at UConnis greater than it is at UCLA.

Regarding Cal and UK, I think everyone can agree they just made a mistake — trading Cal for Pope …. lol. And i can guarantee that 4 years of what Cal just had at any blue blood would have made the fanbases restless including UConn.

And comparing UConn to Gonzaga and Baylor …. lol…. UConn is in a different stratosphere.

Also, I would encourage anyone to not use the term “cray cray” …. makes a person sound like a pubescent school girl .

Well, as long as he doesn't sound like a pre-pubescent school girl...

IU should've have kept Sampson. He was a great hire.

UConn is on Spring break. No students on campus. Obviously you know nothing about the UConn fan base. With no professional teams in state, UConn is the only show in town. Talk to me after the parade when 50,000 fans show up to cheer our Championship team in the rain.
Didn't UConn have to give ASU students UConns student tickets for the Championship game because they didn't have the support there?

1712669897806-png.554552

This should rustle some feathers
It rustles my feathers that I can't see the list.......

Sure

lol….chill out… I’m not sure what you are talking about taking it personal. Like zero clue . I pointed out that UConn fired a guy that had won an NC to demonstrate the immense pressure there is at UConn

Which explains.....

16-17
19-12
15-8
23-10

No conference titles....NO NCAAT wins.

Yet not a peep.

Care to guess the school and coach here?

And I guarantee you this---A coach at UK would not survive his FIRST 4 seasons with those numbers...Or KU...Or Duke....Or UCLA----Shit Woodson had a better 3 year stretch, and IU fans are ready to crucify that dude.

The pressure is simply different bro----QUit being cray, cray...Its a bad look.

Which explains.....

16-17
19-12
15-8
23-10

No conference titles....NO NCAAT wins.

Yet not a peep.

Care to guess the school and coach here?

And I guarantee you this---A coach at UK would not survive his FIRST 4 seasons with those numbers...Or KU...Or Duke....Or UCLA----Shit Woodson had a better 3 year stretch, and IU fans are ready to crucify that dude.

The pressure is simply different bro----QUit being cray, cray...Its a bad look.

Not a peep ? lol…. not even remotely accurate. Why are you wrong so much ?

Here’s a quote from my above post:

“Personally, I’d say UK is on another level due to their crazies.”

Read much, Sabrina?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deepelm
Not a peep ? lol…. not even remotely accurate. Why are you wrong so much ?

Here’s a quote from my above post:

“Personally, I’d say UK is on another level due to their crazies.”

Read much, Sabrina?
Good change of tune.... And the tag wasn't nothing more than a rebuttal to you or the only other UCONN fan on here, saying something about 50,000 at a parade----etc. Just pointing out UK had 18,000 show up for a press conference.

I read just fine. And no, was not a peep of Hurley losing his job after that start.

You think a(new) coach would survive a 4 year stretch at KU, Duke, UNC, UK, IU or UCLA, like that?

Nope.

The pressure from fan base, administration at UCONN is not the same as KU, Duke, IU, UCLA or UNC. Hurley would nto have survived at any of the above with his first 4 years at UCONN.

Davis at UNC has gone to a title game and a SW16 in his first two seasons----Yet there are many UNC fans not happy.
Woodson has went to two NCAAT in his first three seasons, and 90% of the fan base wanted that dude fired a month ago...
Scheyer is 54-18....E8...ACCT title----and there are some rumblings.
Howland took UCLA to 3 consecutive FF's---but a 4 year stretch of 2 NCAAT's, cost him his job---He won the PAC10 in the same season he was fired.
KU simply hasn't made bad hires the last 40 years---Williams and Self.

Hurley could never reach another FF, and his job would be safe. He could miss the NCAAT a few times, and his job would be safe. Even with the 6 titles, the pressure is different. You winn back to back titles at KU, UK, IU----and the fans base expects 3 in a row----then 4. Just a different environment.

And FTR, I love UCONN. And I absolutely think they belong in the upper tier of CBB's great programs. I just don't think the pressure to produce year after year after year, is the same as it is at UK, Duke, UNC, KU, UCLA, or Indiana...

Reactions: kyjeff1
Good change of tune.... And the tag wasn't nothing more than a rebuttal to you or the only other UCONN fan on here, saying something about 50,000 at a parade----etc. Just pointing out UK had 18,000 show up for a press conference.

I read just fine. And no, was not a peep of Hurley losing his job after that start.

You think a(new) coach would survive a 4 year stretch at KU, Duke, UNC, UK, IU or UCLA, like that?

Nope.

The pressure from fan base, administration at UCONN is not the same as KU, Duke, IU, UCLA or UNC. Hurley would nto have survived at any of the above with his first 4 years at UCONN.

Davis at UNC has gone to a title game and a SW16 in his first two seasons----Yet there are many UNC fans not happy.
Woodson has went to two NCAAT in his first three seasons, and 90% of the fan base wanted that dude fired a month ago...
Scheyer is 54-18....E8...ACCT title----and there are some rumblings.
Howland took UCLA to 3 consecutive FF's---but a 4 year stretch of 2 NCAAT's, cost him his job---He won the PAC10 in the same season he was fired.
KU simply hasn't made bad hires the last 40 years---Williams and Self.

Hurley could never reach another FF, and his job would be safe. He could miss the NCAAT a few times, and his job would be safe. Even with the 6 titles, the pressure is different. You winn back to back titles at KU, UK, IU----and the fans base expects 3 in a row----then 4. Just a different environment.

And FTR, I love UCONN. And I absolutely think they belong in the upper tier of CBB's great programs. I just don't think the pressure to produce year after year after year, is the same as it is at UK, Duke, UNC, KU, UCLA, or Indiana...

Not sure what you mean by change of tune as I was responding directly to what you said. Please clarify.

You’re flat out wrong about Hurley — after the second consecutive first round exit, there was plenty of chatter about his future UConn. That said , I do think he would have survived any job after those 4 years as there was significant improvement year over year, the players coming into the program got better and better and his recruiting was excellent.

After back to back national championships, anyone’s job would be safe anywhere for the time being. Not sure what you mean here.

Again, UConn fired a guy four years after he won a title which is a very strong indication that the pressure to win at UConn is as high as it is anywhere else (perhaps excluding Kentucky).

And IU? The fanbase has tolerated 28 years of mediocre basketball with one decent run. And if the pressure is so great, why does Mike Woodson still have a job? I’m not sure he would survive at UConn with three opening seasons like he just had. And as I recall, Bob Knight had a long run of mediocrity after 92-93.

I think this is one of those things that we are just going to have to agree to disagree on.

PS, I like the hoosiers too. They were my second favorite team growing up - I was crushed when that Cheney, Henderson team lost to KU in the elite 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Five Nattys
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT