ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari to Arkansas?

Big difference....Ollie inherited a monster----Hurley has built from the ground up----and is on the cusp of winning back t back titles.
I’m not comparing. Just stating the obvious that anybody that has recently won a natty is always at the top of someone’s wish list because people have short memories.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I’m not comparing. Just stating the obvious that anybody that has recently won a natty is always at the top of someone’s wish list because people have short memories.
Yeah and there’s no guarantee that Dan Hurley can succeed in UK just because he turned the UConn program around, the environment and expectation are vastly different. What is certain is that this will set UConn back for years though, if it does happen.

Yeah and there’s no guarantee that Dan Hurley can succeed in UK just because he turned the UConn program around, the environment and expectation are vastly different. What is certain is that this will set UConn back for years though, if it does happen.
I'd rather put my stock in a guy that has been there and done that, then a guy that hasn’t.
The thing about Dan is, he is showing everyone that his system is sustainable. He's in the title game with a different team than he had last year and he got there by blowing the doors off really good teams. His system looks very stable and sustainable to me. The guy can coach.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
It was the same way after Ollie won a natty and he’s trash!

Was it really? I don't remember. Either way, Hurley is obviously 10x the Coach Ollie was.

I do kind of wonder if UConn can sustain this level of talent year after year because I've heard their NIL isn't that competitive. They got a little lucky this year with things falling perfectly into place, despite having to settle for 3rd and 4th options.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Now rafters thinks Pitino was falsely accused of being an adulterer 😂😂😂😂😂
Well yeah, that's not surprising. There are thousands of UK fans and trolls that post there each day, sooner or later one or two people will have a different opinion than the rest.
There will he fans that will always take up for RP, Tubby and Cal, everyone looks at things through a different lens.
Louisville fans are no different, isn't there a Louisville fan that posts on here that thinks UL should have given KP more time? See, no different.

I wish the Cal we had from 09-2017 was the same Cal we had the last few years, but the two aren't even close to the same.

Heck, everyone knows that four final 4's in 5 years is not sustainable and it was a hell of a run, but what we have seen since the 2017 unc loss, is a stubborn old man that just wanted nothing more than to prove everyone wrong by doing old man things and why not, he had UK by the balls.
Disagree. Same coach. The circumstances changed. He was willing to take advantage of one and done and promise playing time to freshman and sellout the program for them. No one else really was at this point so he cleaned up all the talent he wanted. He got all the best players, in what ended up being decent classes, and just let them do their thing.

If it was a bad class, UK faltered, if it was a good one, they excelled. Rinse and repeat.

Until Duke started being willing to sell out also for top recruits and be a one and done program. And then a few others. Which watered down UKs pipeline. Which led to now where NIL has watered it down further and UK no longer has that big advantage over getting talent.

Same coach, coaching, etc. Just circumstances changed and it doesn't work as a cheat code anymore.

Disagree. Same coach. The circumstances changed. He was willing to take advantage of one and done and promise playing time to freshman and sellout the program for them. No one else really was at this point so he cleaned up all the talent he wanted. He got all the best players, in what ended up being decent classes, and just let them do their thing.

If it was a bad class, UK faltered, if it was a good one, they excelled. Rinse and repeat.

Until Duke started being willing to sell out also for top recruits and be a one and done program. And then a few others. Which watered down UKs pipeline. Which led to now where NIL has watered it down further and UK no longer has that big advantage over getting talent.

Same coach, coaching, etc. Just circumstances changed and it doesn't work as a cheat code anymore.
I will agree with this, Cal excelled at being the very first to take advantage of the one and done era, but eventually Duke, KU and a few others caught up with them and took away the talented young players that would otherwise be playing for UK. The talent level of each draft class also seems to be getting worse every year, you can tell this easily from NBA that the current generation of young stars are nowhere near as good as the older stars 10 years ago.

There's a thread just posted on Rafters that Matt Jones states Calipari maybe trying to stay at UK. You can put lipstick on a pig, but the pig is still a pig lol Meaning UK and Arkansas fan expectation.

The drama continues. I think maybe the players / Recruits, we already know 1, that says they're remaining at UK.

Before last March, the average person barely knew Dan Hurley's name. A year later, the entire country wants to give him a blank check. Kind of funny when you think about it.

No shit. All the while doing it with a roster of 5th and 6th year guys. 1 more year and then the Covid year bullshit is done.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Big difference....Ollie inherited a monster----Hurley has built from the ground up----and is on the cusp of winning back t back titles.

Ground up? He’s got a bunch of transfers from the Covid extra year

Transfers are here to stay, sure- but 23-25 year olds are getting ready to be sent back to the Y after this season and that’s what UConn has maximized over the past 2 years. Good job by them but it’s not a sustainable model.

Transfers are here to stay, sure- but 23-25 year olds are getting ready to be sent back to the Y after this season and that’s what UConn has maximized over the past 2 years. Good job by them but it’s not a sustainable model.
yes, ground up. He took over a program under probation, etc...Ollie inherited JC dudes. To minimize what he has done there is silly.

Three of his Top 5 dudes are sophs and a frshman. Last year he had 2 frosh and a soph in his Top 5.

yes, ground up. He took over a program under probation, etc...Ollie inherited JC dudes. To minimize what he has done there is silly.

Three of his Top 5 dudes are sophs and a frshman. Last year he had 2 frosh and a soph in his Top 5.

I hear you.

My only point is I’m not going treat the last 3 years as anything but an aberration. Hurley may end up being a great coach. Or he may end up sucking as bad as Carolina fans accused Hubert of doing at the end of last year.

The current era is it own entity. Let’s see what settles in after NIL is normalized and regulated (that’s coming) and 25 year olds like Cormac Ryan and Brady Manek aren’t turning average teams into very good ones. Or NC State’s entire team if you want another example. FAU last year is another.

Average 24 year olds can handle really skilled 18 year olds. It’s men vs kids. Fortunately just one more year of this nonsense.

You can disagree, but you would be wrong.
I was a huge Cal fan for a long time. He used to mean what he said, he had a lot of energy and he took pride in beating everyone, but that changed as soon as he signed his lifetime deal, then, after covid, he totally changed to a guy that did things just to be an ass and just to spite the fans.

In 2009, he said "I can't hide you here, this is Kentucky, if you don't have the game, don't come here"

In 2021 he started saying: "I don't want to take his heart, these kids are somebody's son and this is hard".

Yeah, Calipari is a much different guy and it ain't close. Shit, just look at the results. Look at all the post game press conferences he skips after losses. Look at all the taunting he does after wins. He turned into a clown.

This is a very good point.

This is a very good point.
Sort of....Until you consider three of his Top 5 players are 2 sophs and a freshman....Or that last year he had 2 frosh and a sophomore among his Top 5. He happened to blend youth and experience very well. You could argue their two best players this year are a frosh(Castle) and a soph(Clinigan).

Tons of UK fans would be pissed if he did with Arkansas next season with current UK recruits and players.

The only thing that he could do at Arkansas that would really piss me off is if he suddenly starts getting all of his fringe first round or draft guys back. If that happens we’d be screaming in unison “why tf couldn’t you do that here?”

Not YOUR point, but it's my point.

Biatch.

1*K8zjNfFLFShSIDmV6jGa-w.jpeg

Sorry. This exchange just really made me think of Jesse Pinkman

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
The only thing that he could do at Arkansas that would really piss me off is if he suddenly starts getting all of his fringe first round or draft guys back. If that happens we’d be screaming in unison “why tf couldn’t you do that here?”
That’s exactly what I expect to happen. If the NIL is as strong as some are reporting, those dudes will be well compensated to stay.

I have a feeling Dan Hurley will go to UK, he’s taken UConn to the absolute peak with this repeat, and things can only get worse from here. With UK, there’s unlimited potential for building a dynasty with the money and resource. I’d say UConn are already a blue blood themselves as early as last year, but UK is just the bluest blue blood and no one is even close.

ADVERTISEMENT