ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon

toonces11

Mar 3, 2010
Team
Kansas
I think we had a thread on some rock solid bourbons not too long ago and someone suggested EH Taylor 4 Grain. I went out and got a few bottles based on suggestions and just bought a cocktail smoker. Anyone have experience with this? I watched the story of bourbon doc on hulu and it made me want to become a more experienced alcoholic.
@Kevin Bryan @JimboBBN@lurkeraspect84

Just make sure 100% Kentucky Straight Bourbon.

Just say no to blends.
Yep I got the EH, bookers tommy batch, michters 10, and four roses small batch. The nicest bourbon I've ever had more than one of is basil haydens. Just wanted to try out some nicer labels and hopefully put together a deal where some buddies meet up at my place and have a little bourbon club and complain about life while sitting on the dock. If you assholes lived closer you'd be invited

I think we had a thread on some rock solid bourbons not too long ago and someone suggested EH Taylor 4 Grain. I went out and got a few bottles based on suggestions and just bought a cocktail smoker. Anyone have experience with this? I watched the story of bourbon doc on hulu and it made me want to become a more experienced alcoholic.
Still a big fan of Maker's 46.

Reactions: toonces11
Don’t have any experience with a cocktail smoker, I’m more of a on the rocks/shots kind of guy. I’m not sure if that helps or hurts my position as an alcoholic SmokinSmile but I can certainly offer some great suggestions as far as bourbon goes! I had some the other day for the first time called Jefferson’s Reserve. Not sure how much you want to spend on your alcohol, but it’s delicious even though a little pricey!

If anyone's had the 23 year, kudos...maybe in KY it's more available and economical to purchase but outside, e.g., in NJ, it's about $3k/bottle if it can be found. Know a place or two that has it at that price...I have a bottle of 12 year Lot 'B' unopened. Looking forward to it at some time.

If anyone's had the 23 year, kudos...maybe in KY it's more available and economical to purchase but outside, e.g., in NJ, it's about $3k/bottle if it can be found. Know a place or two that has it at that price...I have a bottle of 12 year Lot 'B' unopened. Looking forward to it at some time.
3k. That better come with a years worth of blowies

Two weeks after I turned 21, I won a raffle for the 23 year old Pappy. I'm sad to say I sold it instead of enjoying it. :(

What’s funny is in Kentucky, the local place I usually go in Louisville, they have a meager quantity of it because it’s allocated. They’ll send off a lot of the 20/23 year to other cities in different states, and inflate the price of it exponentially.

Reactions: KrazyKat
When buying whiskey, why limit the choices to bourbon?
The water used, the wood that's used in the barrelling process, ...corn.

from wiki

Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period.[23] Products aged for as little as three months are sold as bourbon.[24] The exception is straight bourbon, which has a minimum aging requirement of two years. In addition, any bourbon aged less than four years must include an age statement on its label.

Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and does not have added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called straight bourbon.[27]

• Bourbon that is labeled as straight that has been aged under four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.[28]
  • Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a bourbon that is labeled as blended, as neutral-grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).[25]
Bourbon that is labeled blended (or as a blend) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits (such as un-aged neutral grain spirits); but at least 51% of the product must be straight bourbon.[29][30]

Bourbon which has been aged for fewer than 3 years cannot legally be referred to as whiskey (or whisky) in the EU.[31]

Last edited:
What’s funny is in Kentucky, the local place I usually go in Louisville, they have a meager quantity of it because it’s allocated. They’ll send off a lot of the 20/23 year to other cities in different states, and inflate the price of it exponentially.

You are 100% correct.

I recently asked the guy that owns the liquor store I frequent about Pappy, and some others, and he talked about how a lot is being shipped to the far east. China, Japan, etc.

from wiki

Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period.[23] Products aged for as little as three months are sold as bourbon.[24] The exception is straight bourbon, which has a minimum aging requirement of two years. In addition, any bourbon aged less than four years must include an age statement on its label.

Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and does not have added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called straight bourbon.[27]

• Bourbon that is labeled as straight that has been aged under four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.[28]
  • Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a bourbon that is labeled as blended, as neutral-grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).[25]
Bourbon that is labeled blended (or as a blend) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits (such as un-aged neutral grain spirits); but at least 51% of the product must be straight bourbon.[29][30]

Bourbon which has been aged for fewer than 3 years cannot legally be referred to as whiskey (or whisky) in the EU.[31]
Is this what they call bottled in bond?

Is this what they call bottled in bond?
Bottled-in-Bond or Bonded, means the bourbon was made at a single distillery, by one distiller in one distillation season, aged for at least four years in a federally bonded and supervised warehouse, and bottled at 100 proof.

Bottled-in-Bond or Bonded, means the bourbon was made at a single distillery, by one distiller in one distillation season, aged for at least four years in a federally bonded and supervised warehouse, and bottled at 100 proof.
It seems crazy there are some guys making batches they will never get to drink in their lifetimes.

from wiki

My question was rhetorical, but I appreciate the knowledge you're dropping ITT.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Weller is really good.

Found a half gallon of the special reserve the other day. Hoping to find a 12 year bottle some time. Years ago I lucked into a few bottles of 17 year Vintage Bourbon. Drank one mostly in a night and gave to other to my brother when his first kid was born, he still has some of it but they no longer make it and it goes for $500-$1000, if there's any left.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
It's fun to have really good bourbon, but I honestly can't tell the difference between $30 bourbon and $150 bourbon. On a rye kick right now, big fan of Bulleit Rye.

It's fun to have really good bourbon, but I honestly can't tell the difference between $30 bourbon and $150 bourbon. On a rye kick right now, big fan of Bulleit Rye.
The best way for me to tell is if my liver hurts the next day.

Recently drank some Knob Creek Rye and it was like drinking water. So smooth.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I recently asked the guy that owns the liquor store I frequent about Pappy, and some others, and he talked about how a lot is being shipped to the far east. China, Japan, etc.
Japanese love bourbon & whiskey. Suntory bought Jim Beam, they’ll come in huge tour busses to liquor stores in Louisville, and purchase even run of the mill product, I.e. Old Grandad, Heaven Hill bottled in bond, Old Bardstown, etc..

Yep I got the EH, bookers tommy batch, michters 10, and four roses small batch. The nicest bourbon I've ever had more than one of is basil haydens. Just wanted to try out some nicer labels and hopefully put together a deal where some buddies meet up at my place and have a little bourbon club and complain about life while sitting on the dock. If you assholes lived closer you'd be invited

You may want to take this post down because Basil Hayden is UK's first All American!

ADVERTISEMENT