ADVERTISEMENT

Bilas Says Trae Young(s) Not Good For Bball

KYtotheCore

Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
Last night during the UK/UF game Bilas stated something to that effect. Said that having a team solely reliant on one guy just isnt good. He said people are playing him differently now, and it took him around 49 shots to make 38.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: tw3301
Last night during the UK/UF game Bilas stated something to that effect. Said that having a team solely reliant on one guy just isnt good. He said people are playing him differently now, and it took him around 49 shots to make 38. OK still won.

They don't seem to be suffering many losses, thanks to or due to Young. What do you think?

No they lost the game.

The lost yesterday and at kstate earlier in the week because of his turnovers

Was he talking about yesterday’s game? Oklahoma lost that game. He took 39 shots and scored 48 points, IIRC. Sounds like you have the numbers right, just backwards.

He’s pretty good, no doubt about that, but as others have already said his teammates didn’t do anything on that last possession to help out the play. It was like give it to Trae and let him do something. OSU was all over him and it ended up being a terrible final attempt to tie or win. That’s probably what Bilas means by guys like him not being good for the game. He made quite a few other terrible decisions but then again, without him OU likely doesn’t come back from down 20 points.

I don’t know if that’s good or bad for the game but it sure does make it fun to watch when a guy like him comes around.

No they lost the game.

Was he talking about yesterday’s game? Oklahoma lost that game. He took 39 shots and scored 48 points, IIRC. Sounds like you have the numbers right, just backwards.

He’s pretty good, no doubt about that, but as others have already said his teammates didn’t do anything on that last possession to help out the play. It was like give it to Trae and let him do something. OSU was all over him and it ended up being a terrible final attempt to tie or win. That’s probably what Bilas means by guys like him not being good for the game. He made quite a few other terrible decisions but then again, without him OU likely doesn’t come back from down 20 points.

I don’t know if that’s good or bad for the game but it sure does make it fun to watch when a guy like him comes around.
Gotcha . . . didn't hear the outcome of the games, just those comments. Hadn't really kept up with OK games, just Young. Thanks.

He’s a great player, but right now I think that the team would be better if it was less dependent on one player. Oklahoma is much better for having him than they would be otherwise, but I think that he’d be better playing within a system.

There’s been a huge backlash against him since they’ve dropped a few games.

Ironically, his efficiency really isn’t bad. He still had like a >50% TS percentage yesterday.

Reactions: KisteK
Should have picked Kansas just like Ayton. He's a one man show at OU and everyone knows it now. Teams are only guarding him and daring the rest of OU to try and do something. Unfortunately for them, Young is still trying to play hero ball and do it all by himself. OU is going to continue to nose dive if Young doesn't take a step back and stop chucking up wild shots like he's LaMelo Ball. It hurts your teams far more than it helps.

Bilas has reached "please just stfu already" level with me. Hes a borderline know nothing at this point.
I was wondering when you would come running to Young's aid. Tell us about his advanced stats please.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Would hate playing with him, but watching one player play five is solid entertainment.

Had to recheck 5 times to make sure Trae leads the nation in assists. Turns out, he does indeed lead the nation in assists.

This is going to be a really fun thread to bump throughout the course of the year.

I have a feeling Im going to wear out the hahaohwow.jpg meme in this thread the next 3 months.

Had to recheck 5 times to make sure Trae leads the nation in assists. Turns out, he does indeed lead the nation in assists.

This is going to be a really fun thread to bump throughout the course of the year.

I have a feeling Im going to wear out the hahaohwow.jpg meme in this thread the next 3 months.

young averages 6 TOs a game and takes 20 shots to get 30 points. he is like kobe, when the lakers were trash, on steroids. young's numbers are severely skewed and bilas is correct (though he's probably being a bit melodramatic). OU has been a flash in the pan this season. they will likely limp into march and young will be looked upon as less and less worthy of any kind of POY discussion.

He also averages the most turnovers per game by a wide margin and his A/TO ratio isn't even in the top 500.

Reactions: tw3301
He's had a couple rough, inefficient games of late. But does anyone who's ripping on Young know what his teammates shot from the floor in those losses, particularly yesterday?

Yes, about 2% less than what Young shot.
So, with that in mind, you would prefer he shoot fewer times?

I'm in agreement that yesterday was particularly glaring with some of his shot selection. But this narrative that has shifted from "he's Curry" to "he's a detriment to OU" is kinda nuts.

I'm in agreement that yesterday was particularly glaring with some of his shot selection. But this narrative that has shifted from "he's Curry" to "he's a detriment to OU" is kinda nuts.
No way, I am a fan of Young... certainly wish he was at UK. Just saying it's not all rainbows and unicorns. Of course, he is always the focus of the defense too, so it's going to be more difficult for a player like him to be really efficient.

Last night during the UK/UF game Bilas stated something to that effect. Said that having a team solely reliant on one guy just isnt good. He said people are playing him differently now, and it took him around 49 shots to make 38.

What do you think?

Larry Bird says hi.

I dont think Trae Young is bad for basketball, the college game needs more individual stars to pull in the casual viewer.

The way that Trae Young is being utilized is probably bad for Oklahoma though. Riding 1 horse rarely results in great team accomplishments, thats not a slight on Young, its just reality, basketball will always be a team sport. LeBron didnt win anything until he got Wade/Bosh, Durant never won anything before linking up with a 73 win team.

Curry/Durant in college combined for 0 Final Fours, Curry's final year resulted in an NIT trip. If the other 4 players are not involved or not capable of being involved then all you will see is a ridiculous stat sheet for 1 guy in probably a losing effort against quality competition.

Last edited:

It really just depends on if Young is shooting the volume he does because everyone else on OU sucks, or if Kruger is forcing more looks into Young at the expense of his other players who are capable of picking up more of the scoring. If it is the latter then Young is currently a liability to OU's overall success despite his brilliance so far.

What do you think?
I agree. The last play of that game was a microcosm of what Bilas said.

Reactions: KYtotheCore

Maybe if Young ran regular offense and moved the ball around instead of holding it until he can get a shot or until a teammate gets open enough that he will shot (getting Young an assist) then OU isn't down 20 in the first place.

Young is CLEARLY trying to stay in the NCAA lead for both points and assists and it has resulted in the mess of a week that OU basketball had this week. He also leads the nation in total TURNOVERS with 95, 9 ahead of 2nd place and 15 ahead of 3rd.

No they lost the game.

But they've won a dozen games based off his scoring.

Westbrook won the MVP leading the league in turnovers (or second behind Harden).

I agree. The last play of that game was a microcosm of what Bilas said.

Yes-there were 3 open guys and the shot Young had was impossible and not even close. When a player shoots that many attempts he does not have any teammates, but merely 4 other guys wearing the same color jersey.

It's bad for Oklahoma, the team, but great for Oklahoma, the TV ratings.
It is. I worry that this will lead to many others coming up thinking they should do the same. Young is a very good player with clear skill. All the terrible shots I can do without though.

So Young is not good for college basketball but all these one and doners is, that arrogant onion head is a know it all

Young is tremendous for Oklahoma. I honestly cant even believe what I read at times.

A team that went 11-20 last year and had the 118th ranked offense got an elite talent in their laps that transformed them into a top 25 team and likely 3-5 seed in the ncaa tournament all while single handedly taking them from 118 to top 20 in offense is considered bad for Oklahoma? Lol wat?

What do you think?

What is bad is when 8 of the top ten go to Kentucky and Duke every year.

It was and is killing the game. NBA, NCAA, and their masters, ESPN need to get this one and done bull shix worked out.

At least Young is not on Duke or Kentucky or Kansas.

I suppose if every team was built that way it would be horrible for the overall game of basketball, but otherwise I don't think a handful of teams having that composition has much of an effect. I can definitely sees how OU would be better off as a team if a third of Young's ability was dispersed among the rest of the starting line-up.

Young is tremendous for Oklahoma. I honestly cant even believe what I read at times.

A team that went 11-20 last year and had the 118th ranked offense got an elite talent in their laps that transformed them into a top 25 team and likely 3-5 seed in the ncaa tournament all while single handedly taking them from 118 to top 20 in offense is considered bad for Oklahoma? Lol wat?
Your points are fair...but he is trying to argue about playing within a team offensive concept. For all their greatness there were times both Iverson and Kobe took too many shots and had particularly bad shot selection which was Bilas's main critique of Young that he is taking a ton of low quality high degree of difficulty shoots not within the flow of the offense.

He's a great player but I'm glad he's not on UVA. Don't think he'd be a good fit for us at all. But don't think he's bad for basketball either. Such a stupid comment. And he's a blast to watch.

I also think OU is the type of team that UVA would feast on this year. Really think we would beat them by double digits. They'll probably knock us out of the tourney now.

He's a great player but I'm glad he's not on UVA. Don't think he'd be a good fit for us at all. But don't think he's bad for basketball either. Such a stupid comment. And he's a blast to watch.

I also think OU is the type of team that UVA would feast on this year. Really think we would beat them by double digits. They'll probably knock us out of the tourney now.

If Trae played for UVA, they might have a top 5 KenPom team of all time with Trae running PnR, Guy splashing 3s, and Bennetts elite D.

Reactions: jhmossy
ADVERTISEMENT