ADVERTISEMENT

Best player in college basketball so far?

Lot of games left in this season, but I’ll take Big Dog’s last season for Purdue over Young this season.
Similar really. Robinson averaged 30/10/2. Young at 30/3/10.

Loved Big Dog, though. Monster.

To me POY so far has been Bagley. I also have doubts as to whether or not Young keeps up the pace he is currently at, but he has been a showstopper thus far.

Hard to not give it to Bagley thus far. Although Young is pleading a great case. I’m a terrible gambler but I’d bet on one of these two studs being your POY.

Clearly Bagley and Young have been fabulous. Impossible to take anything away from either of them... You couldn't go wrong with either guy as the choice.

Meanwhile, Bonzie Colson is averaging a double-double (21 points, 10 rebounds) doing exactly what everyone expected this season. If he keeps that up through ACC play and ND ends up being decent, he'll be in the conversation.

Add Young to Duke's roster, subtract Bagley, and you have far and away the best team in the land.

Trae Young...... not even close. Leading the nation in points and assists by a large margin.

Add Young to Duke's roster, subtract Bagley, and you have far and away the best team in the land.
They still have to play defense. Really wish UK would've held out for Young over Green. Nobody could've predicted he would be as good as he has been.

Bagley has looked great but anyone who doesn’t say young is clueless, especially when you factor in his teammates, teams they have beaten on top of how good he has been AND what they looked like last year with damn near the same talent

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Trae Young also isn’t Ben Simmons or Fultz. He is doing all of this on the number 12 team in the nation that just beat a top ten team. He is leading a team and is doing amazing at it. That’s what really stands out to me.

Reactions: Mgkcbb and KisteK
At this point it's not even debatable. It's objectively Trae Young. He's currently putting together quite possibly the greatest season in the history of college basketball. By that fact alone that means there's no debating his placement at the top for this season.

Leading the NCAA in PPG and APG is something that has never been done as far as I can recall/remember.
Last one I can think of was Dick Groat at Duke in the fifties

Clearly Bagley and Young have been fabulous. Impossible to take anything away from either of them... You couldn't go wrong with either guy as the choice.

Meanwhile, Bonzie Colson is averaging a double-double (21 points, 10 rebounds) doing exactly what everyone expected this season. If he keeps that up through ACC play and ND ends up being decent, he'll be in the conversation.

Colson isn't flashy like Young or Bagley. He's really good, but doesn't have the highs that those two can hit.

What is Young's usage rate so far this year? Pretty crazy to see a high level program like OU run an offense where 1 guy dominates the ball probably 75-90% of the time he's on the court. Usually see that more with mid-majors. Either way it works.
37.0 usuage rate

In my most BIAS opinion...SMILE

Joel Berry II

Theo Pinson

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched the entire Oklahoma game yesterday. Trae Young has made Oklahoma games must see TV for me as Im now fully aboard the Trae hype train and bandwagon.

He scored 39 on 23 shots and dished out 14 assists in handing previously unbeaten TCU their first loss. He did this all on the road.

Obviously, his shooting is what jumps out. But, his cerebral advantages in reading PnR coverages and making the correct pass or shot makes him unguardable. Thats not using hyperbole either, its just being honest. There is no defensive scheme that can guard Trae Young when Oklahoma gives him a high ball screen.

Lonzo Ball was one of the most advanced players Ive seen at basketball IQ and it showed as UCLA had an explosive offense with him leading it. Trae Young blows even him out if the water.

There is no way to slurp Trae Young too much. Hes that good.

To me POY so far has been Bagley. I also have doubts as to whether or not Young keeps up the pace he is currently at, but he has been a showstopper thus far.

Trae Young is going to up his scoring and assists averages now that hes playing real conpetition.

Just look at his last 4 games

In blowouts vs NW State and Northwestern, he played 27 and 29 mins.

In close games against Wichita State and TCU, he played 34 and 38 mins.

He only attempted 16 shots vs NW and NW state each, he attempted 23 vs TCU yesterday and 22 vs Wichita State.

So hos volume is going to go up. He may very well end the year averaging 33 ppg and 15 apg or something very close to that.

I watched the entire Oklahoma game yesterday. Trae Young has made Oklahoma games must see TV for me as Im now fully aboard the Trae hype train and bandwagon.

He scored 39 on 23 shots and dished out 14 assists in handing previously unbeaten TCU their first loss. He did this all on the road.

Obviously, his shooting is what jumps out. But, his cerebral advantages in reading PnR coverages and making the correct pass or shot makes him unguardable. Thats not using hyperbole either, its just being honest. There is no defensive scheme that can guard Trae Young when Oklahoma gives him a high ball screen.

Lonzo Ball was one of the most advanced players Ive seen at basketball IQ and it showed as UCLA had an explosive offense with him leading it. Trae Young blows even him out if the water.

There is no way to slurp Trae Young too much. Hes that good.
I too watched the TCU Oklahoma game, and he honestly looks like he is just toying with them out there. He is so good in so many levels, he’s gotta win it. He is putting up insane numbers. I’d be shocked if he’s not a top 5 pick

Young has the stats, I haven't watched him play but can't really argue against the numbers he is throwing up. Bagley gets my #2, obviously seen a lot of him and he's an absolute freak that no one has come close to stopping.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Young has the stats, I haven't watched him play but can't really argue against the numbers he is throwing up. Bagley gets my #2, obviously seen a lot of him and he's an absolute freak that no one has come close to stopping.
On second thought DeLaurier was able to shut him down in the MSU game. But other than that no one else has come close to stopping him.

Young is doing stupid things. On top of leading his team in points and assists, clearly since he leads the nation in those categories, he also leads the team in FT attempts a game. And makes 87% of them.

As great of a talent as Bagley is, I have no problem putting Young ahead of him. Those two on the same team? Yikes.

He should be a top 5 pick but NBA teams are often dumb. See: Curry, Stef.
It’s far from an exact science but missing on a guy once in a while in the draft hardly qualifies NBA execs as “often dumb.”

Marvin Bagley has had some of his best games this year in the biggest games. I’m not saying Bagley is POY right now. I’d go with Young right now too.

Man, Im jealous of you. Just like a great movie you havent seen yet, youre going to really enjoy Trae Young when you finally see him.

Its an out of body experience for college basketball fans watch TraeDay for the first time.

All I can say is that it would be a wonderful year to have a pair of lottery picks. Bagley, Ayton and Bamba are all going to be very good pro players. The 3 big men are all legitimate #1 overall selections. Of course Young may be the best CBB player this year. What a draft!

In all likelihood Young comes back to earth some, but that could stil mean he ends up averaging 26 and 9 or something crazy along those lines. Still stand by my statement that Bagley is the best player in college ball and that he will win POY award. His game isnt gonna lose you games. With the way OU has pretty much allowed self to btcome the Trae Young show, they will be feast or famine. Not always a great strategy.

All I can say is that it would be a wonderful year to have a pair of lottery picks. Bagley, Ayton and Bamba are all going to be very good pro players. The 3 big men are all legitimate #1 overall selections. Of course Young may be the best CBB player this year. What a draft!
Throw Doncic in there. If Porter Jr. rehabs well, he is as talented as anyone. At 6-10.

Hoping the Lakers pick falls between 2-5.(Boston owns it if it falls there) Adding another top of the line lottery pick to the Celtics roster would be incredible. If not they get a crack at RJ Barrett the following draft.

Young is doing stupid things. On top of leading his team in points and assists, clearly since he leads the nation in those categories, he also leads the team in FT attempts a game. And makes 87% of them.

As great of a talent as Bagley is, I have no problem putting Young ahead of him. Those two on the same team? Yikes.
Yikes is right.

Bagley is 11-14 in double doubles, Young is 7-14. The point that I had tried to make is if Young was on Duke's team would he have the same stats? I think his PPG would be lower and his APG would be around 22. No deigning he is a great player -- very much worthy of the POY conversation.

Yikes is right.

Bagley is 11-14 in double doubles, Young is 7-14. The point that I had tried to make is if Young was on Duke's team would he have the same stats? I think his PPG would be lower and his APG would be around 22. No deigning he is a great player -- very much worthy of the POY conversation.

Goes both ways. If Young is on Duke's team, Bagley isn't averaging the amount of points he's averaging now.

Using the "if" debate is useless though. We can only go off of what we see, and what I see is that Young is apparently the most unstoppable player in the country.

I don't believe Groat ever led the nation in either category, close though. Pretty crazy that he was even better in baseball.
Went back to check he lead the nation in assists and scoring in 1952Dont know how to link article.He was the second pick in the NBA draft that year.

Trae young is the answer at this point in the season.

But I find it funny that everyone assumes that Bagley is the next in line or the next challenger.

I have a hard time believing anyone is playing better than Deandre Ayton(outside of Young of course)

The answer is Trae Young, but this is incredibly wrong.
Pretty much. Duke's starting 5 averages 12 points or more. Oklahoma has 3 players averaging double figures and only 2 at 13 or more. Duke as a team leads the nation in APG while Young accounts for almost 60% of his team's assists. I just don't see how the addition of Young to this team makes Duke THAT much better, especially if it means removing Bagley. Now last year, yes.

That's not a knock on Young, at this point he is much better than Duvall as a PG just for his 3PT% and FT% alone. But his numbers would not be close to what they are with Duke's team this year. And Duke would not be better with him and not Bagley. He is in the perfect situation where he is.

Trae young is the answer at this point in the season.

But I find it funny that everyone assumes that Bagley is the next in line or the next challenger.

I have a hard time believing anyone is playing better than Deandre Ayton(outside of Young of course)
^^ has not watched Bagley.

But Ayton is having a great season.

The answer is Trae Young, but this is incredibly wrong.

Oklahoma won, what...10 games last year? They added essentially nothing but Young and they're arguably playing as well as anyone.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Duke would dominate in that scenario. Despite still being soft defensively.

I just laugh when someone makes a pick then follows with "it isn't even close." Our course it's close. Young is dealing at this point but to suggest others aren't in the ball field is ignorant.

Oklahoma won, what...10 games last year? They added essentially nothing but Young and they're arguably playing as well as anyone.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Duke would dominate in that scenario. Despite still being soft defensively.

He would be an upgrade over half of Duke's team defensively.

I've watched Bagley plenty this year. He's from AZ so I have a rooting interest in seeing him do well, as I watched him play as a kid all the way into high school.

I think MBlll is getting the attention he deserves I just feel because Ayton is out west in the Pac he is getting a little less ink while being just as if not more impressive.

Both are 1st team AA and top 5 picks

^^ has not watched Bagley.

But Ayton is having a great season.

I've watched Bagley plenty this year. He's from AZ so I have a rooting interest in seeing him do well, as I watched him play as a kid all the way into high school.

I think MBlll is getting the attention he deserves I just feel because Ayton is out west in the Pac he is getting a little less ink while being just as if not more impressive.

Both are 1st team AA and top 5 picks
I definitely think Ayton deserves more attention than he's getting. I just disagree with him being ahead of Bagley. Either guy is a great player to have on your team.

Went back to check he lead the nation in assists and scoring in 1952Dont know how to link article.He was the second pick in the NBA draft that year.
It was the year before that he led the nation in scoring, by total points. He didn't lead in PPG though, which is what the NCAA bases the scoring title on. Fella that won that year averaged 4 PPG more than Groat, but played 8 fewer games. Then in 52 Lovellette from KU won the scoring title (PPG and total points).Same goes for assists, he never led in APG.

ADVERTISEMENT