ADVERTISEMENT

Annual Champions Classic Thread

Shot by Clarke with .40 seconds to go , was brutal. Cal is very good at stretching games out..

Reactions: dukedevilz
Not reading all of this but, Duke sucks right now and so does michigan state. I've never been less interested in college basketball which is very sad. I think last year may have broke me, no March madness, etc. Hopefully I get interested at some point but really this OAD bullshit has killed the sport, covid just poured the last pile of dirt on. Duke had 3 guys leave early last year, none were drafted in the first round. This is where we are. You stay, draft stock drops unless you're at Gonzaga or some other place no one cares about until March. I'll watch but I really don't give a shit anymore, this game is lost.

Not reading all of this but, Duke sucks right now and so does michigan state. I've never been less interested in college basketball which is very sad. I think last year may have broke me, no March madness, etc. Hopefully I get interested at some point but really this OAD bullshit has killed the sport, covid just poured the last pile of dirt on. Duke had 3 guys leave early last year, none were drafted in the first round. This is where we are. You stay, draft stock drops unless you're at Gonzaga or some other place no one cares about until March. I'll watch but I really don't give a shit anymore, this game is lost.
Kids just don’t give a shit about college anymore. They see the NCAA as the evil money stealing enemy and want to get out ASAP. Everyone is just focused on the NBA and it hurts the sport.

I would disagree that Michigan State sucks though. It was early season basketball, I wasn’t expecting a finished product tonight.

Reactions: tw3301 and bignish
I get hated on at the home board every time I say that the NBA is a vastly superior basketball product. The only legit reason to prefer college ball at this point is allegence to your local University or alma mater.

I get hated on at the home board every time I say that the NBA is a vastly superior basketball product. The only legit reason to prefer college ball at this point is allegence to your local University or alma mater.

I like the emotion of college basketball with the fans over the NBA. I do think it’s more exciting too to watch young players make mistakes and rise to become better players. Without the fans though college basketball definitely takes a major hit in enjoyment.

I would agree it’s a better product. College basketball officiating is the death of me. I love how they just let them play in the NBA, and you’re allowed to contest a drive without a virtually guaranteed foul.

I'm jealous of the way UVA and Gonzaga build their programs now compared to the blue bloods. They have a core group of recruits that become very good upperclassmen, recruit a few top tier recruits and bring in a highly rated transfer or two. Their teams actually have good basketball IQ, play unselfish ball and have cohesion.

This is the formula that's working now, not what Duke or UK are doing. As rough as today was, I'm hoping Moore/Roach return to join our super recruits next year to give that squad some experience.

Jordan freaking Goldwire, who's probably the lowest rated recruit in Duke history, is showing you can make a valuable contribution to a "top team" just by virtue of experience playing the sport and getting access to college strength/conditioning.

Looking forward to winning the NIT this year. I don't like this team at all. PG position is trash, nobody can shoot, our wings can't get to the rim, and Cal refuses to post Sarr. Jackson's a beast defensively, only bright spot.

We will see about that. Texas might be the greatest dynasty in NIT history.
Probably would have been back to back champs last year
Don't know if Shaka will have us at the big boy table this yeah
But at the little boy table Shaka is like John Wooden

Kids just don’t give a shit about college anymore. They see the NCAA as the evil money stealing enemy and want to get out ASAP. Everyone is just focused on the NBA and it hurts the sport.

I would disagree that Michigan State sucks though. It was early season basketball, I wasn’t expecting a finished product tonight.
Sparty was definitely the best team I saw play tonight. Typical Izzo squad: gritty, excellent defensive rotations, excellent on the boards, good depth, etc

I think the lack of a go to scorer, 3 point shooting and turnovers will prevent another Final 4 experience. Then again, every team I've watched besides Gonzaga/Baylor/Wisconsin has bigger issues so who the hell knows.

Sparty was definitely the best team I saw play tonight. Typical Izzo squad: gritty, excellent defensive rotations, excellent on the boards, good depth, etc

I think the lack of a go to scorer, 3 point shooting and turnovers will prevent another Final 4 experience. Then again, every team I've watched besides Gonzaga/Baylor/Wisconsin has bigger issues so who the hell knows.
We’ll see. I think this team has shooters absolutely, but we haven’t shot great thus far.

If Rocket Watts can develop into a go to guy I think that could really help this team. Aaron Henry-Rocket Watts-Joey Hauser trio is a really nice foundation. If one of them can explode, well there’s your go to scorer.

I hate all these hot takes like 3 games in. None of these teams suck. They all have strong and weak areas, but the season just started. I am confident in saying that every single team in the Champions Classic has the talent and the coaching to win the Championship, because the championship isn’t tomorrow.

I know at least for MSU, I thought there was no way we would be great in a given year early into the season and been proved wrong many times.

I hate all these hot takes like 3 games in. None of these teams suck. They all have strong and weak areas, but the season just started. I am confident in saying that every single team in the Champions Classic has the talent and the coaching to win the Championship, because the championship isn’t tomorrow.

I know at least for MSU, I thought there was no way we would be great in a given year early into the season and been proved wrong many times.
Agreed. It is annoying. People don’t understand that CBB product is poor to start the year.

Kansas/Duke last year was awful. I saw a Ku team turn it over 28 times, shoot poorly and lose by 1 point. I thought that was a great sign to turn it over 28 times and lose by 1. Jayhawkslant lost their minds. Several weeks later we are rolling and probably the best team in the country.

3 years ago Ku/UK play in the classic. The game was bad but several weeks later Ku improved like they always do and made it to the FF.

College teams need time. The product is just fine January/February

Poor Michigan...

When he got out of his LOI I knew Howard wasn't going to do much there

He’s got a nice class lined up for 21. Plus Howard actually was an assistant coach in the nba for a time iirc. As well as a G league coach. As opposed to penny who was a aau and high school coach.

I wouldn’t be so quick to bury Howard. I’m no Michigan fan but I think he can be a pretty good coach. God knows he’s seen it all from sitting on the bench for the seemingly 20 years he was in the NBA.

Lindsey kid is a stud, back when they played Zags and they have a lanky kid named wilson too I was getting dickie V level of confusion.

In another conversation with @toonces11 ,I said almost the exact same thing in regards to Duke and the game in general. I can't see myself getting into it this year.

I’ve heard those same sentiments in other years when those teams turned out to be good. This year is whole different animal.
This year is utter garbage, hope they cancel the tournament again just to **** Gonzaga's eyes out.

Reactions: sgrooms
ADVERTISEMENT