ADVERTISEMENT

46 to 8

Great. I will ask again...why did NW shoot 24 more free throws in Evanston?
They shoot 19 FTs/game at home and 11.6 FTs/game in road/neutral games.

They attempted 8 at DePaul, 7 at Illinois, 7 against Mississippi St, and 9 against Arizona St.

Their opponents average 13.6 fouls a game in road/neutral games, Purdue had 15 in WL.

There's a reason they're last in the Big Ten and 321st in the country in free throws/game.

Great. I will ask again...why did NW shoot 24 more free throws in Evanston?

HomeCookingCan.gif

Reactions: mcnicKY91
Maybe it's NW who has the home court advantage that won't travel to the tournament?
No way that dude is smart enough to make that connection lol. NW shooting 32 free throws at home against us is WAY more egregious than us shooting 46 (with 10 being intentional/technical). Take those out and we shot less free throws at home then we did at NW

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Fun fact...just learned this doesn't apply to Purdue...ever. In fact, the great Zach Edey could shoot 100 FTs in a game, and the Purdue fans would come rushing over to tell us why statistically it makes sense for that to happen...
Why do facts hurt you so?

• Haha
Reactions: boiler1987
Hey - I'll leave out my opinion on your ref critiquing since I generally enjoy our back and forths and think you're pretty fair.

But Northwestern just hacks and it frustrates me that it's like a national story that they got called on their bullshit. Even if you ignore the stats that showed this would likely be a high a FT discrepancy game to begin with, their coach literally said that they'd use 15 fouls against Edey in a press conference. Their stated strategy was to hack, they didn't get away with it, tough shit.

The other thing that annoys me is that the Big Ten has been shit on for years by the college basketball landscape as being too physical and allowing too much fouling and just mucking up games. Then when Northwestern gets called for this crap, now the story is that It's Actually Bad to call fouls and punish junk defenses.
Don't have an issue with PU shooting 46....I mean after all, 10 of those I belive came via NW fouling to stop the clock, then the techs. But NW only shooting 8? I mean, look, I didn't watch the game. But don't need to. NW offense is tough to defend---very complex. Lots of actions...lots of screens.

Its not a good look tbh for the league.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Why do facts hurt you so?
Edey gets fouled a lot----and a lot goes uncalled. BUT----he also gets away with his fair share. TBH, its hard to officiate a guy like him. You wanna see what guys can play through---or what they cant. Determine if the contact casuses and advantage, creates a disadvantage---Is a "foul" we need to get? Can it be played through? Well with a 7'4", 310 lb dude, that can be tough. You don't wanna "punish" a guy for being bigger, but at the same time, how much of it is him being bigger, opposed to how much of it is a foul.

Tough dude to officiate.

Reactions: Sparty_57
Edey gets fouled a lot----and a lot goes uncalled. BUT----he also gets away with his fair share. TBH, its hard to officiate a guy like him. You wanna see what guys can play through---or what they cant. Determine if the contact casuses and advantage, creates a disadvantage---Is a "foul" we need to get? Can it be played through? Well with a 7'4", 310 lb dude, that can be tough. You don't wanna "punish" a guy for being bigger, but at the same time, how much of it is him being bigger, opposed to how much of it is a foul.

Tough dude to officiate.

Don't have an issue with PU shooting 46....I mean after all, 10 of those I belive came via NW fouling to stop the clock, then the techs. But NW only shooting 8? I mean, look, I didn't watch the game. But don't need to. NW offense is tough to defend---very complex. Lots of actions...lots of screens.

If you were to watch the game, you’d see that NW didn’t shoot a lot of shots at the rim and the majority of those they did were uncontested because their scheme put our defenders through the ringer. We fell for the back door badly multiple times. They also shoot a ton of fadeaways.

Michigan guy who has no dog in this fight watched the entire game and counted how many fouls he thought should have been called for each team.

For someone like @IUfanBorden to say “it’s a bad look for the league” without watching the game is preposterous.

They’ve shot 9 or fewer free throws in a majority of their road/neutral games (5 of 9).

Why is it criminal that they did that once again, against a team that commits the 8th fewest fouls/possession in the country (best in the big ten)?

They’ve shot 9 or fewer free throws in a majority of their road/neutral games (5 of 9).

Why is it criminal that they did that once again, against a team that commits the 8th fewest fouls/possession in the country (best in the big ten)?
Where did I say it was?

Michigan guy who has no dog in this fight watched the entire game and counted how many fouls he thought should have been called for each team.

For someone like @IUfanBorden to say “it’s a bad look for the league” without watching the game is preposterous.
why? Its not like I've never watched wither team. Purdue doesn't foul a lot----NW does. But how many really know this? I doubt many. People can see NW shot 32 FT's in their first meeting---but only 8 this time: One game at home, the other on the raod.

Its not a good look.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
why? Its not like I've never watched wither team. Purdue doesn't foul a lot----NW does. But how many really know this? I doubt many. People can see NW shot 32 FT's in their first meeting---but only 8 this time: One game at home, the other on the raod.

Its not a good look.
Northwestern doesn’t draw fouls away from Evanston. It’s not a bad look, it’s a consistent issue for them. I’ve showed the stats - 13.6 fouls drawn/game, 11.6 FTs a game away from Evanston.

Its not a good look.
Or maybe it shows they got a way friendlier whistle at home than they normally do?

Or maybe it shows they got a way friendlier whistle at home than they normally do?
Yep. That's what is funny. The outlier is how many free throws they shot in Evanston but I didn't see people up in arms about that.

Reactions: boiler1987
ADVERTISEMENT