ADVERTISEMENT

2nd Favorite Team?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Who do you typically root for when your team isn't playing?

I kind of like our rivals. I want them to put up numbers to keep conversations interestings. One reason I'm looking forward to UL and IU being good again.

Look at UT. They didn't say shit when they sucked but now they have fans engaging again.

Or you just root for a second team?

Yeah, but that changes daily. For now I am rooting on whoever plays the Reds, as I have now won 10 straight bets against them (all losses of 2 runs or more).
That brings up a good point on the OT. It could be other sports. 2nd favorite is, well 2nd favorite team. Hard to choose between the Reds and Bengals. I'm glad I'm old enough to remember a Reds World Series.

*Won a art price in HS for my drawing of Mr. Red riding a broom.

That brings up a good point on the OT. It could be other sports. 2nd favorite is, well 2nd favorite team. Hard to choose between the Reds and Bengals. I'm glad I'm old enough to remember a Reds World Series
1990 wire-to-wire! A friend of mine was Todd Benzinger's brother-in-law. Went to his house once and he showed me all kinds of cool memorabilia. His WS ring, the ball he caught for the final out, old jerseys, etc. I have always been a UK, Reds, and Bengals fan. Became a Golden Knights fan when I moved to Vegas and they were just starting out as an expansion team.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I love a plethora of teams & coaches.
Obviously, Kansas

But I also cheer for
- other Big XII (noncon)
- Creighton
- Matt Painter
- Leonard Hamilton
- Tony Bennett
- BYU
- Francon Melts
- MWC
- Wichita State
- Bruce Pearl
- Marquette
- Stanford
- Nebraskaball
most seasons

I love a plethora of teams & coaches.
Obviously, Kansas

But I also cheer for
- other Big XII (noncon)
- Creighton
- Matt Painter
- Leonard Hamilton
- Tony Bennett
- BYU
- Francon Melts
- MWC
- Wichita State
- Bruce Pearl
- Marquette
- Stanford
- Nebraskaball
most seasons
That's awesome. Yes.

That's awesome. Yes.
Minus Bruce Pearl ... jeez.

Anyway, within the Big Ten the only team I have some fondness for is Rutgers. They deal with a lot of the same "pro sports state" stereotypes we do, and they have to deal with NYC like we do with Chicago (i.e., it provides amazing advantages and also some challenges). I think the RU of our grandkids will be practically unrecognizable from today, and they will be a mini-powerhouse. As far as other teams, I cheer for Bradley (originally from Peoria and my dad got an MBA there) ... but NIL is going to gut those types of programs. :( I also cheer for Butler, since my sister went there.

There are also teams within conferences that I don't CHEER for, but I like it when they are good compared to other teams. I prefer parity within massive states, so I enjoy when A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc. are good. I also get an odd enjoyment out of UCLA sucking, so that leads me to appreciate when USC is randomly good at hoops, lol.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
YxsiLkC.gif

Baylor, Texas tech or Kstate

have some family that went to Kstate. I don’t despise them like they do us.

Baylor Bc I like drew and what they have for our league.

tech love their blue collar program. Reminds me of Bobby knight just not a blue blood

I like auburn and Indiana. Then whoever is playing against Kansas, duke, unc, and Kentucky.

Kansas was always my favorite hoops team behind my Red Raiders.

Also, Uconn for some strange reason. I couldn't tell you why but I really like Coach Calhoun back in the day.

Reactions: KisteK
I liked Villanova but it was solely due to Jsy Wright. Other than that I give a pity thumbs up to IU as that's my best buds team and they haven't been consistently relevant since we started hanging out.

Not really. The programs themselves are fine. It’s the t’shirt and zero skin in the game types that are the problem and I own all of those types on this board

How do you know what type of fan anybody is?

It's funny that you actually think you're a "better" fan than lifelong fans. I can't imagine picking some random school, whose sports teams I never followed, taking a few classes, and then going on a message board and telling everybody that I'm a better fan than them.
😂

How do you know what type of fan anybody is?

It's funny that you actually think you're a "better" fan than lifelong fans. I can't imagine picking some random school, whose sports teams I never followed, taking a few classes, and then going on a message board and telling everybody that I'm a better fan than them.
😂
I am better than you. I actually put money and skin into the university. You bought some game tickets and t’shirts

I am better than you. I actually put money and skin into the university. You bought some game tickets and t’shirts

So if Donald Trump donates a bunch of money to a university, he's automatically a better fan of their sports teams than me? Is that how this works?

You never seem to answer the question...how do you know what anybody on this board has or hasn't done?

So if Donald Trump donates a bunch of money to a university, he's automatically a better fan of their sports teams than me? Is that how this works?

You never seem to answer the question...how do you know what anybody on this board has or hasn't done?
Spending money and time on tuition is not the same thing as donating

Not really. The programs themselves are fine. It’s the t’shirt and zero skin in the game types that are the problem and I own all of those types on this board
Someone who grows up in Kansas and is therefore a KU fan is not remotely comparable to someone who grows up in New Jersey and cheers for Alabama football/Duke basketball. You throw around “T-shirt fan” in such an elitist way, very lame.

I’m an Illinois fan because I grew up as one, not because I went there … I saved my family almost $40k per year and went to college at the same place as my future wife to not be a “true Illini fan,” in your eyes. Are you under the impression that there aren’t tons of people in Eastern AL and Southern IN that cheer for Auburn/Indiana and didn’t go there? They’re not “subpar fans,” LMAO, get over yourself. I’m sure many went to a higher ranked school than Auburn, too, not that it should matter.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Spending money and time on tuition is not the same thing as donating
I’ve done that, AND I’ve followed the team since a much younger age than you’ve followed Auburn.

Feels good to be the vastly superior fan.

Someone who grows up in Kansas and is therefore a KU fan is not remotely comparable to someone who grows up in New Jersey and cheers for Alabama football/Duke basketball. You throw around “T-shirt fan” in such an elitist way, very lame.

I’m an Illinois fan because I grew up as one, not because I went there … I saved my family almost $40k per year and went to college at the same place as my future wife to not be a “true Illini fan,” in your eyes. Are you under the impression that there aren’t tons of people in Eastern AL and Southern IN that cheer for Auburn/Indiana and didn’t go there? They’re not “subpar fans,” LMAO, get over yourself. I’m sure many went to a higher ranked school than Auburn, too, not that it should matter.
It’s just a (bad) attempt to make himself feel like he has an advantage. When you have no ammo to counter with, just pull the “better fan” card.

Of course, he never wants to actually know the details of anyone’s fandom or history with the university. That would destroy the illusion.

I’ve done that, AND I’ve followed the team since a much younger age than you’ve followed Auburn.

Feels good to be the vastly superior fan.
If you went to school at KU I will give your props over the vast majority on here

I don’t excuse the t’shiet types in Indiana or Alabama either. Although Bama hogs the t’shiet in the state of alabama

ADVERTISEMENT