ADVERTISEMENT

'23 Preseason AP Top 25

At the moment, KU shouldn't be #1 (and should have dropped after losing Morris). Duke probably deserves #1 as of now.

I think North Carolina and Illinois are underrated. Maybe Texas. Kentucky should probably be higher.

I think Connecticut and Florida Atlantic are very overrated. I don’t disagree or really have an opinion on Kansas’ position, I’m surprised by how many more votes they received than anybody else, though.

Reactions: KisteK
I think Connecticut and Florida Atlantic are very overrated. I don’t disagree or really have an opinion on Kansas’ position, I’m surprised by how many more votes they received than anybody else, though.
Not certain with UConn.

100% agree with FAU

On paper I like
Duke, Creighton, Purdue, Houston, Tennessee and Miami

Top ~8 in the Big 12 should be good hoops & Arkansas, Kentucky, Marquette, Illinois, Colorado, Virginia, Florida, New Mexico and Syracuse look fun too.

I've made some nice doll hairs betting against Buzz Williams,
I'm lower on both aTm and FAU.

Can't wait to see Syracuse this year. Watching them play man to man will be weird.

JB ran that zone for over 40 years.

Yeah, FIU and UConn simply got hot at the right time last year, that's going to be tough to duplicate.

Also, I think these polls are not meant to tell us where these teams are right now, I think they are more about where the voters think they will eventually be.

Reactions: WojoRising
Can't wait to see Syracuse this year. Watching them play man to man will be weird.

JB ran that zone for over 40 years.

Yeah, FIU and UConn simply got hot at the right time last year, that's going to be tough to duplicate.

Also, I think these polls are not meant to tell us where these teams are right now, I think they are more about where the voters think they will eventually be.
I think Syracuse is going to be a real dark horse. Their backcourt is good, they’ve got size, athleticism, and a renewed energy. Should be a very fun team to watch.

I think Syracuse is going to be a real dark horse. Their backcourt is good, they’ve got size, athleticism, and a renewed energy. Should be a very fun team to watch.
The Vols play Syracuse Nov 20th to start Maui. Thanks for telling how good they will be, so I can start worrying early.

• Haha

FAU, yes. A really good team, but just as easily could have lost in the 1st Round. If the ref awarded the timeout to Memphis, FAU likely loses (Memphis was up by 1 with 5 seconds left and FAU was awarded the jump ball).

UConn, though? They didn't just get hot a the right time. They were ranked #2 back in December (they cooked Alabama and Iowa State). They blasted every team in the tournament by double-digits. And they very much looked the part of the national title-worthy team. UConn began the tournament #4 in KenPom. That was no accident.

One team that stands out to me in the rankings as being overrated is San Diego State at #17. I just don't see it. They lost Nathan Mensah, one of the best interior defenders in the country. Jaedon LeDee can't offer that rim protection. And SDSU has had a very average offense lately. If they don't have a juggernaut defense, I don't see them being a top 25 team.

Teams outside the top 25 that could easily be ranked for most of the season: Wisconsin, Kansas State, UCLA, Clemson, and Florida.

FAU, yes. A really good team, but just as easily could have lost in the 1st Round. If the ref awarded the timeout to Memphis, FAU likely loses (Memphis was up by 1 with 5 seconds left and FAU was awarded the jump ball).

UConn, though? They didn't just get hot a the right time. They were ranked #2 back in December (they cooked Alabama and Iowa State). They blasted every team in the tournament by double-digits. And they very much looked the part of the national title-worthy team. UConn began the tournament #4 in KenPom. That was no accident.
Yes, UConn did something you don't see very often, they recaptured momentum.

We see teams sprint out of the gate hot and heavy with a ton of momentum, then eventually lose it, but they usually don't get it back.

UConn went on a long slide during the regular season, then got their mojo back and got hot right at the end of the season.

Having peak momentum at the right time can take a team a long way and UConn is a prime example of that.

Keep an eye on Soutern Cal. Elite FR guard, and Boogie Ellis is alright with him. That's a stout backcourt. Good win last night.

USC has as much talent as anybody but man, Andy Enfeld really just seems to roll the ball out there and let them do what they want.

Caught a little bit of the UCLA game last night and there are so many question marks with that team. Felt like they're trying to squeeze a bunch of square pegs into round holes. Bona is probably the most athletic freak big man in the country but really can't do much on offense but dunk. They brought in three elite Euros who are projected NBA players and they played a total of ten minutes combined. Cronin is infamous for not playing freshman and instead seems to just want to out tough people on defense which does not bode well to defensively challenged Euros

ADVERTISEMENT