ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Draft/Olympic thread.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Who doesn't belong?

dream-team_crop_north.jpg

I'm doing my yearly cancel streaming services for the summer. Nothing is on but I will miss the draft and the Olympics.

It's back to old school and just use the internet.

Low key best event at the summer Olympics is 7v7 rugby. Games are 14 minutes long and wall to wall action. Highly recommend if you haven’t seen it before.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
In that picture? Remove Christian Laettner and Chris Mullin. Add Shaq and Isiah Thomas.

Chris Mullin was 1st Team All-NBA in 1992 - and the Warriors won 55 games. He absolutely deserved to be on the team. Isiah Thomas didn't make any of the All-NBA teams and the Pistons were a sub-50 win team.

9 of the guys on the Dream Team were either on 1st or 2nd Team All-NBA. Magic Johnson didn't play during the '92 season and Bird missed almost half of the season due to injuries. Those were the only 2 NBA guys to miss the All-NBA teams that season. I'm certainly okay with their inclusion, given how much they accomplished over the years.

The only obvious answer is Laettner. I'd probably pick Shaq as the 12th man.

Last edited:
Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham both go in the top 10. If I'm recruiting against Calipari, I'd mention how he had two lottery picks coming off the bench in the same season. I'd venture to say that's never happened before.

... Fun little NBA Draft trivia that I discovered on my own: this was the first draft since 1957 which didn't have an African-American go in the top 3 of the draft. Crazy.

Of course Memphis takes Edey.
I really like the Memphis fit for Edey. Jaren Jackson Jr can help defensively from the weak side if Edey is beat on the pick and roll. And speaking of pick and roll, Edey feasted on that with Braden Smith and now has a chance to do that with Ja Morant? Sounds enticing to me. And I'm sure Morant will like having Edey in there setting picks for him.

Memphis investing the 9th pick on him suggests they see him as a rotation player early. I've seen NBA guys suggest he'll get 18-20 minutes as a rookie and that sounds like a good number.

Might have to spend a good chunk of my morning on Twitter reading the Tennessee fans losing their shit. There is no one Edey lives rent free in their heads than Edey and him going 8 spots in front of Knecht has to have them losing their minds.

I'm glad the Tennessee fans on here are a lot more level headed than the nitwits on Twitter.

Might have to spend a good chunk of my morning on Twitter reading the Tennessee fans losing their shit. There is no one Edey lives rent free in their heads than Edey and him going 8 spots in front of Knecht has to have them losing their minds.

I'm glad the Tennessee fans on here are a lot more level headed than the nitwits on Twitter.
GRE0ub7XwAAbi2S

Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham both go in the top 10. If I'm recruiting against Calipari, I'd mention how he had two lottery picks coming off the bench in the same season. I'd venture to say that's never happened before.

... Fun little NBA Draft trivia that I discovered on my own: this was the first draft since 1957 which didn't have an African-American go in the top 3 of the draft. Crazy.
I wonder if that negative recruiting tactic would actually work...

If I am a player coming out of HS and making my decision (full well knowing I am probably one and done), will it really matter if I am starting or coming off the bench if I end up going top 5? Kids care about going to the league over anything else.

Cal has the ultimate trump card and can say it doesn't matter if you start or come off the bench, you can still be a top 5 pick under me...(whether or not he is responsible for that is an entirely different discussion). That is truly what HS players care about over anything else. Just my opinion.

I wonder if that negative recruiting tactic would actually work...

If I am a player coming out of HS and making my decision (full well knowing I am probably one and done), will it really matter if I am starting or coming off the bench if I end up going top 5? Kids care about going to the league over anything else.

Cal has the ultimate trump card and can say it doesn't matter if you start or come off the bench, you can still be a top 5 pick under me...(whether or not he is responsible for that is an entirely different discussion). That is truly what HS players care about over anything else. Just my opinion.

There's truth to that. The NBA is the end goal for all of these kids.

But, if you can be a top 5/10 pick, why should you have to come off the bench? How many teams in America wouldn't start a lottery pick? I'm sure most 5-star recruits would rather play 30+ minutes, if given the option.

But, if you can be a top 5/10 pick, why should you have to come off the bench? How many teams in America wouldn't start a lottery pick? I'm sure most 5-star recruits would rather play 30+ minutes, if given the option.
I think it's a lot more about minutes and opportunity than who starts and who doesn't. Sheppard logged the 2nd most minutes for KY last year. Dillingham was essentially T-4th but had the highest usage among all KY players.

Reactions: dukedevilz

I don't disagree...a presumed top 10 pick should be starting (assuming he is the best player at that position).

But if someone is trying to use that as a negative recruiting tactic against Cal, I don't think it would work, as Cal can easily say it doesn't matter if you start or come off the bench, you can be a top 5 pick regardless. That is all these guys care about.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think it's a lot more about minutes and opportunity than who starts and who doesn't. Sheppard logged the 2nd most minutes for KY last year. Dillingham was essentially T-4th but had the highest usage among all KY players.
It's funny, UK lost to Oakland because UKs two top 10 picks crapped down their leg on the biggest stage.

Sheppard was 1-5 with two terrible TOs, and was getting abused on the defensive end.

Dillingham shot 2-9 and was just as poor defensively.

I wanted Justin Edwards (the fanbase's whipping boy the entire yr) to play more. He wasn't scared of the moment and was more productive offensively. Can't say the same for UKs two top 10 picks.

Reactions: Deepelm
Girlfriend is probably more hurt.

Weird shizz is happening between Flip and his gf.

His mom verifies that she is in fact 28. And they've been dating for 3 years? Sheesh (26 year-old at a hs prom?). His brother responded to the tweet, as well, and he claims that Kyle has cut off communication with his family. Sounds like he's being groomed by this girl. ESPN's Jonathan Givony seemed to imply that the relationship caused him to slide in the draft.

"I swear I've heard it 25 times this came up. It was one of the biggest factors that you heard and it's just weird man. It's really really weird. I think people really overthought this one and listen the workouts didn't help. The interviews didn't help, he's a little bit of a nervous guy but there's a lot less pressure in the NBA regular season then there is playing at Duke."

ADVERTISEMENT