ADVERTISEMENT

2018 from your POV

LetsGoDuke301

Apr 4, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Team
Duke
If I had to pick one word to describe 2018, wet. Wilmington averages 57 inches of rain for the year. The record yearly rainfall was 83 inches from 1877. Right now Wilmington is at 103 inches, 20 inches more than the record 141 years ago. Only 3 places in America get 100 inches of rain in a year for perspective.

Sports wise. Somewhat successful. Duke did make it to the EE last year with a legit shot at making it to the FF. And so far this season in 2018, they are enjoyable to watch, particularly because they play defense. Duke won their bowl game in football both last season and this one. So that was great.

Because of how my life has been directly affected based on real issues, I am glad to see 2018 go away and I am hopeful that 2019 will be much better.

How would you say 2018 treated you and how would 2019 treat you better?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
If I had to pick one word to describe 2018, wet. Wilmington averages 57 inches of rain for the year. The record yearly rainfall was 83 inches from 1877. Right now Wilmington is at 103 inches, 20 inches more than the 141 years ago. Only 3 places in America get 100 inches of rain in a year for perspective.

Sports wise. Somewhat successful. Duke did make it to the EE last year with a legit shot at making it to the FF. And so far this season in 2018, they are enjoyable to watch, particularly because they play defense. Duke won their bowl game in football both last season and this one. So that was great.

Because of how my life has been directly affected based on real issues, I am glad to see 2018 go away and I am hopeful that 2019 will be much better.

2018 was a huge mix of emotions. Between 4-18-18 and 5-1-18 I was blessed with a new son and a new job (after 11 years at the last one) but also lost my dad.

Sports have been a decent distraction. Beating florida in football was nice. Dad was a Florida alum but worked at UK for 24 years. It would have been nice to hear what he would have had to say about that one. Basketball ended the year on a good note. I enjoyed watching the Sox win the WS since my Reds are in a perpetual state of suckage. I have nothing to say about the Bengals.

Worst year of my life. Glad it's over. Started last NYE with me passing out on the ice while playing hockey. Had to have open heart surgery to replace a defective heart valve. Had that done in February. Had a real rough recovery with a stroke/seizure in the ICU hours after the surgery. Gained 30 lbs over the 7 months I was unable to exercise. Wasn't able to golf till late June and game went to shit, had a bout with the shanks that lasted most of the summer.

Year ended even worse as my 13 year old lab passed away in my arms in the parking lot of the vet a few days ago. Grieved myself sick and have had a fever/flu since Friday night.

so yea not fan of 2018 and very glad it's over. I have lost 20 of those pounds, but have had to do some serious dieting since Labor day to accomplish that. And still have 15 more to go so looking at another 4 months of dieting and exercise.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
If I had to pick one word to describe 2018, wet. Wilmington averages 57 inches of rain for the year. The record yearly rainfall was 83 inches from 1877. Right now Wilmington is at 103 inches, 20 inches more than the 141 years ago. Only 3 places in America get 100 inches of rain in a year for perspective.

Dad had 2 strokes and a heart attack, brother open heart surgery, shattered ankle, and I had surgery and a injury, missed half year of work.

F$ck 2018

Pretty solid.

Sports-UNC was good and two seniors left who were awesome players and ambassadors for the program. Roy will have them playing well come March this year. Reds really sucked but at least seem like they may try to do something about it. Titans are going to lose to the Colts tonight but at least were decent.

My sports-Handicap went from 10 to 6.1 so golf was good this year. Have a few new clubs to try when the weather breaks.

Things that matter-Wife and kids are awesome so that is the biggest thing. I'm still in pretty solid shape and haven't died or been diagnosed with any major disease quite yet.

Last edited:
Started good...I think. These past few months have been so trying, stressful, etc, etc..that its hard to remember much since early September. I guess it could always be worse. But man, are things tough.

Worst year of my life. Glad it's over. Started last NYE with me passing out on the ice while playing hockey. Had to have open heart surgery to replace a defective heart valve. Had that done in February. Had a real rough recovery with a stroke/seizure in the ICU hours after the surgery. Gained 30 lbs over the 7 months I was unable to exercise. Wasn't able to golf till late June and game went to shit, had a bout with the shanks that lasted most of the summer.

Year ended even worse as my 13 year old lab passed away in my arms in the parking lot of the vet a few days ago. Grieved myself sick and have had a fever/flu since Friday night.

so yea not fan of 2018 and very glad it's over. I have lost 20 of those pounds, but have had to do some serious dieting since Labor day to accomplish that. And still have 15 more to go so looking at another 4 months of dieting and exercise.
Hope you find peace and health in 2019

Pretty solid.

Sports-UNC was good and two seniors left who were awesome players and ambassadors for the program. Roy will have them playing well come March this year. Reds really sucked but at least seem like they may try to do something about it. Titans are going to lose to the Colts tonight but at least were decent.

My sports-Handicap went from 10 to 6.1 so golf was good this year. Have a few new clubs to try when the weather breaks.

Things that matter-Wife and kids are awesome so that is the biggest thing. I'm still in pretty solid shape and haven't died or been diagnosed with any major disease quite yet.
Reds will be interesting to watch, even if they do stay in the cellar.

Damn. T’s and P’s to all of you who had bad years.

2018 was great. Life just gets better every year for me. I anticipate 2019 to be just as good, if not better.
Things aren't always bad. But when they are, it tends to overshadow the good. I sometimes struggle to focus on the good things in life, even though there are a lot of good things to focus on. This year is unique. I have not lost a loved one like jhmoss and jimbo, that is a saddening thing that they are going through. So my issues are definitely materialistic compared to their's. But I still am happy to see 2018 come to an end.

I am very happy for those who have had great years and hope that continues. Cheers!

Reactions: schoonerwest
If I had to pick one word to describe 2018, wet. Wilmington averages 57 inches of rain for the year. The record yearly rainfall was 83 inches from 1877. Right now Wilmington is at 103 inches, 20 inches more than the record 141 years ago. Only 3 places in America get 100 inches of rain in a year for perspective.

Eventful.

Bought a car. Got married. Bought a house. Brother got married.

Things aren't always bad. But when they are, it tends to overshadow the good. I sometimes struggle to focus on the good things in life, even though there are a lot of good things to focus on. This year is unique. I have not lost a loved one like jhmoss and jimbo, that is a saddening thing that they are going through. So my issues are definitely materialistic compared to their's. But I still am happy to see 2018 come to an end.

I am very happy for those who have had great years and hope that continues. Cheers!
Same boat, brother. I have always tried to live by the creed of, "focus on what you have, instead of dwelling on what you don't have". My faith has certainly been tested. But as you said, I haven't lost a loved one as some here have. And certainly not my mother. So I am obviously thakful for that. My issues are, well, just issues that can be fixed. It could always be worse. I am thankful for what I have.

No. Both were fun but had a blast at mine.
My wedding was a blast as well. But it is nice to be able to have a blast while not being the center of attention. Most weddings I have been to have been really fun. The last two were lame though. A coworker who doesn't drink, so nobody else can. And a coworker of my wife's who only had local brew beers and wine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT