ADVERTISEMENT

$14 million buyout, Will TX fire Shaka?

My opinion would be that when you’re at VCU the competition isn’t quite top level. It’s easier to win a bunch of games because you might be tested four times the entire regular season. It’s the same reason Archie Miller looked so good at Dayton.

Tough loss last night. But what's up with Jaxson Hayes taking 17 steps? That was a huge turnover. Wish I could find a clip of the video because Scott Drew had the best reaction - worthy of a gif.

Reactions: BawlzDeep
My opinion would be that when you’re at VCU the competition isn’t quite top level. It’s easier to win a bunch of games because you might be tested four times the entire regular season. It’s the same reason Archie Miller looked so good at Dayton.

Will Wade is proving that theory to be a bit wrong though

Reactions: ReturnOfOakboy
Wonder if your team took part in institutionalized cheating for thirty plus years to keep athletes eligible in order to build little egos like your own...

Nope. No one was punished for it either. Because it didn't happen you know. We know Smith was paid to go to State though.

Wonder if your team took part in institutionalized cheating for thirty plus years to keep athletes eligible in order to build little egos like your own...
Sports_Illustrated_702506_19890130-044-2048.jpg

Yeah, I don't think this guy is smart enough to realize it is actually his school that has done the cheating over the years. All that cheating just to have Roy slap you around like a little playtoy.

Reactions: Sevro
Yeah, I don't think this guy is smart enough to realize it is actually his school that has done the cheating over the years. All that cheating just to have Roy slap you around like a little playtoy.
Their coach couldn’t cheat the NCAA
or cancer

Adidas operative TJ Gassnola said he personally delivered a $40,000 payment to then-NC State assistant coach Orlando Early under then-head coach Mark Gottfried that was earmarked for Dennis Smith Jr.'s dad to help firm up his son's commitment to NC State.

Maybe he doesn't understand the whole employer/employee relationship and what that means to 'NC State had nothing to do with it'.

Reactions: Sevro
Also, to put things really into perspective: Shaka's best team was full of Rick Barnes' leftovers, a bunch of 3* HS recruits who now play pro ball in Japan and SE Asia. Since then Shaka has signed three recruiting classes of his own, ranked 6th, 6th, and 8th respectively in the national rankings. He's also had three consecutive one-and-done lottery pick centers playing for him. Texas' record in the Big XII in that time is now 19-32. 13 games below .500 even though Texas recruits as well as/better than anyone besides Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas. It's pathetic.

Also, if anyone cares to go look up his record at VCU he's been a perpetual underachiever his entire career. Just like at Texas, Shaka always had more talent than his competition in the CAA and the A 10, and yet he never once won a conference title in six seasons. His VCU counterparts Caple, Grant, and Wade all rolled out of bed in the morning and won conference titles with inferior talent, and in much less time. He doesn't even compare favorably to them.

As for his miraculous/inexplicable Final Four run in 2011, that team finished fourth in the Colonial Athletic Association, and lost five of their last 7 games, and failed to win their conference tourney, and yet they somehow got into the dance. It was decried as the most heinous and egregious at large bid ever, yet they somehow caught lightning in a bottle and went to the FF. That one tournament has made this man millions and millions of unearned dollars. The fact that he had a team capable of both going to the FF and finishing fourth in the CAA says a lot about Shaka Smart.

Also his teams consistently rank in the 200's and 300's in most statistical categories tracked by basketball-reference. He's an amazing fraud of a coach who's used his charm to fail upwards, and i am so far beyond ready for him to be gone from Texas.

Also, to put things really into perspective: Shaka's best team was full of Rick Barnes' leftovers, a bunch of 3* HS recruits who now play pro ball in Japan and SE Asia. Since then Shaka has signed three recruiting classes of his own, ranked 6th, 6th, and 8th respectively in the national rankings. He's also had three consecutive one-and-done lottery pick centers playing for him. Texas' record in the Big XII in that time is now 19-32. 13 games below .500 even though Texas recruits as well as/better than anyone besides Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas. It's pathetic.

Also, if anyone cares to go look up his record at VCU he's been a perpetual underachiever his entire career. Just like at Texas, Shaka always had more talent than his competition in the CAA and the A 10, and yet he never once won a conference title in six seasons. His VCU counterparts Caple, Grant, and Wade all rolled out of bed in the morning and won conference titles with inferior talent, and in much less time. He doesn't even compare favorably to them.

As for his miraculous/inexplicable Final Four run in 2011, that team finished fourth in the Colonial Athletic Association, and lost five of their last 7 games, and failed to win their conference tourney, and yet they somehow got into the dance. It was decried as the most heinous and egregious at large bid ever, yet they somehow caught lightning in a bottle and went to the FF. That one tournament has made this man millions and millions of unearned dollars. The fact that he had a team capable of both going to the FF and finishing fourth in the CAA says a lot about Shaka Smart.

Also his teams consistently rank in the 200's and 300's in most statistical categories tracked by basketball-reference. He's an amazing fraud of a coach who's used his charm to fail upwards, and i am so far beyond ready for him to be gone from Texas.

Tell us how you really feel.

But seriously, you speak the truth.

With the new state of the art facilities opening next year and Buzz Williams rumored to be unhappy at VT i'd think this is clearly already in the works on the downlow.

KU was hard after Jarrett Allen, Miles Turner and Mo Bamba

1. Buzz Williams
2, Chris Beard
3. Kelvin Sampson ( Probably the best coach )

354. Gregg Marsh ( if you wanna fubar ur team for a decade )

With the new state of the art facilities opening next year and Buzz Williams rumored to be unhappy at VT i'd think this is clearly already in the works on the downlow.

1. Buzz Williams
2, Chris Beard

UT is still a football school. No matter who they hire they will still chase KU. Shaka jsut gets the wrong kind of players for his coaching style. This year TT and KSU are vying for the conference title with veteran players and then they will start another multi year building process.

Never understood the Shaka hype. I felt like he is a solid coach, but nowhere close to elite.

I know they arent hot this year, but Greg Marshall continues to be the non P5 coach in my mind most likely to be highly successful at the P5 level.

UT is still a football school. No matter who they hire they will still chase KU. Shaka jsut gets the wrong kind of players for his coaching style. This year TT and KSU are vying for the conference title with veteran players and then they will start another multi year building process.

Tech isn’t a veteran team. We lost 4 starters last year. Culver is a true soph, Moretti a soph, Owens grad transfer, Mooney grad transfer and our fifth starter varies based on the game. There are only two players that see minutes for Tech that have been there more than 2 years.

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
Shaka is not going anywhere.

Mainly because there is not anyone else out there that is worth the risk.
Most people are preoccupied with football and baseball.
Basketball has about an one month window.

This Texas team is all over the place.
They can play with anyone but they can lose to anyone.

The growth with Ramey and Coleman is huge.
Don't know if Kerwin Roach will play again but these last two games Jase Febres has taken a major jump.

I think Texas needs to change some assistants.
Smart needs someone with experience developing players.
Hepa and Hamm should get more playing time.
Hamm is a beast. A 6-8 jumper. Would be getting 10-15 minutes on every team in the conference.
Players just don't mature fast enough under Smart.
Unless they are Ramey and come in with that killer instinct.

I still say Texas can make a Sweet 16 run depending on the brackets.
Best case scenario is they make a run in the Big XII tournament and get in as a 7 or fall down to a 10 or 11.

8/9 line will be tough.

If only Hayes, Roach and Osetkowski leave.

Texas can be a legit Top 10 team in 2019-2020 with Coleman, Ramey, Sims and Febres.

Last edited:
Reactions: rdgtr

1. Buzz Williams
2, Chris Beard

Zero rumors that Buzz is unhappy at VT. Buzz is just a dude that isn’t going to be anywhere longer than 5-6 years. He’s a unique personality.

He will end up at Texas or A&M this offseason to be closer to home.

Honestly, he wasn’t all that successful at VCU other than one fluke run in March when his team was fortunate to even be selected for the First Four.
163 - 56 is pretty successful. That and he went to the tournament every year at VCU after the final four year ( 4 years ).
I don’t believe his system is going to work at most P5 D1 schools though.

163 - 56 is pretty successful. That and he went to the tournament every year at VCU after the final four year ( 4 years ).
I don’t believe his system is going to work at most P5 D1 schools though.

Yeah and he didn’t advance beyon the second round. In fact, his last 4 tournaments his teams haven’t won a single game. Lots of coaches rack up a lot of wins in lower tier conferences and then can’t hack it when they move up to the big leagues. Shaka is one of them.

Just like Charlie In football, some coaches aren’t built for bigger schools or programs.

Texas needs to get Buzz Williams, the Clemson coach or maybe a mid major like Nevada or Buffalo coach

Just like Charlie In football, some coaches aren’t built for bigger schools or programs.

Texas needs to get Buzz Williams, the Clemson coach or maybe a mid major like Nevada or Buffalo coach

Agreed with Buzz Buffalo's head coach- maybe on Nevada's, no way for Clemson's coach imo.

1. Buzz Williams
2, Chris Beard

I don’t see beard going anywhere but buzz and Sampson top 5 prospects for Texas

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
I don’t see beard going anywhere but buzz and Sampson top 5 prospects for Texas

Agreed. Beard isn’t leaving. He has the love, support from all sides, and a long term, well paying contract. Not to mention he has his daughters there in Lubbock too. He’s not going anywhere.

His crazy ass wife is currently hunting you down. Watch your back.

No one wants greggggg now, but the wife definitely doesn’t help. He’s a douche as well.

But he’s cached in at WSU even though they’re back to being a nobody since they play in a better conference and don’t have the talent they did during the run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT