ADVERTISEMENT

1,100th win by Coach K

Seriously though, Congrats to Coach K. With his win % it's only taken him 43 years.

244aywk.png

If Duke wasn't just Coach K, they'd have a legit shot all time wins.

With UK out of this tournament, Duke is making up ground along with KU.

Kansas is only 20 games back and Duke is only 122.

Closing the distance is all that matters.

And when I talk about the United States being the greatest nation in the world, I’m always like “We OWNED the War of 1812!” Because brag about old stuff nobody alive was around for.

Reactions: tw3301
Yeah, I would say another 6 years. He won 1,000 in 2015 and 1,100 in 2018. He could get 1,200 in 2021 and 1,300 around 2024 if he keeps us the same pace with no health issues.
Seriously. Everyone is getting tired of the terminator.

Does the sun set where he lives?

Yeah, I would say another 6 years. He won 1,000 in 2015 and 1,100 in 2018. He could get 1,200 in 2021 and 1,300 around 2024 if he keeps us the same pace with no health issues.
I think when its all said and done he will be a top two basketball coach of all time, NBA or NCAA. Right up there with Phil.

Reactions: Quavarius
I think when its all said and done he will be a top two basketball coach of all time, NBA or NCAA. Right up there with Phil.

I'm a Phil fan too (on the court), but I've been leaning towards Pop lately. Where do you rank Pop?

I'm a Phil fan too (on the court), but I've been leaning towards Pop lately. Where do you rank Pop?
He's gotta be up there. You can't argue against 11 rings, though. I mean, the guy has more titles than he does fingers haha. I'd put Pop right behind him as far as NBA coaches go.

You think he’ll coach until he’s 77 years old? I have a lot of respect for coaches who do this type of thing. I would’ve retired at 50 after I made my first few million. Lol

You think he’ll coach until he’s 77 years old? I have a lot of respect for coaches who do this type of thing. I would’ve retired at 50 after I made my first few million. Lol

Possibly. Boeheim is prolly gonna be around for four more years (his son will be on the team next season) and I think Jim Calhoun is getting back into coaching (on a lower level). Larry Brown would still be coaching if not for the NCAA issue. Leonard Hamilton is about to be 70. He and K are aging well!

Last edited:
K's head coach in college was a better coach than K. If Coach Knight had the talent K, Dean or Wooden had he would had over1000 wins a a half dozen national titles.

If you play 35 games a year that is not that much over 40 years.

I mean it is the best in the business but we are measuring it against coaches who used to play 18 games a year.

I will take the heat for this response, but if 30 years from now teams are playing 70 games a year will the record stand?

Maybe not and and then we can justify his record like you're doing for coaches who coached in the 30's.

Also, didn't some teams play in the NCAA and NIT and Olympics and those wins counted towards their records?

I mean I get why some of y'all want to point at win % when it comes to coaches. I'm sure this will be the same M.O. when some team surpasses a team for most wins all time in college basketball.

So, some teams benefited from playing more games than others? Then, what's the big deal?
You are comparing the total wins of Coach K to those of Rupp. Coach K play 30+ games a year. Those numbers were not possible for Rupp.

There is now doubt that Coach K has won the most game; however, he is not close the Rupp's percentage.

If you can't see the difference you need to seek help.

You are comparing the total wins of Coach K to those of Rupp. Coach K play 30+ games a year. Those numbers were not possible for Rupp.

There is now doubt that Coach K has won the most game; however, he is not close the Rupp's percentage.

So, why did Rupp coach 30 or more games 7 times in his career, tho? He also coached 28 and 29 games a season as well. You act like Rupp only played 10-15 games every season.

Also, let's not act like Rupp would have the same win % in today's NCAA climate that has included many changes. There was a reason why he started slowing down at the end whereas K could possibly be going to a FF at 71.

Last edited:

Rupp’s teams had nowhere near as difficult a schedule as K’s Duke teams have had. For the entire time Rupp was a coach only 1 other team in his conference went to a Final Four. 1 other team in like 30+ tournaments. That’s insane. The SEC was nothing back then. The ACC has been a gauntlet for 30 years now. I would hope that a coach as great as Rupp would have a better winning % than K.

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT