ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Transfer Thread***

Just for fun, I'm going to start a rumor. Garrison Brooks will grad transfer to Mississippi State. Pass it on.
He lost a lot of money coming back this year. He was unbelievable last year and really dropped this year.

Really trying not to project who will transfer out from UVA but I would not be surprised if we lost 2 or 3 players. I also expect 2-3 additions. Would obviously love to add Keels as a freshman but not getting my hopes up there. But I would also be thrilled with Kellan Grady (Davidson) and Tre Mitchell (UMass)

Reactions: jwhkchawk
He lost a lot of money coming back this year. He was unbelievable last year and really dropped this year.

IIRC, I don't think he was a top 100 draft prospect last year. His future was and is still likely going to be in Europe.

Reactions: Afamu
Really trying not to project who will transfer out from UVA but I would not be surprised if we lost 2 or 3 players. I also expect 2-3 additions. Would obviously love to add Keels as a freshman but not getting my hopes up there. But I would also be thrilled with Kellan Grady (Davidson) and Tre Mitchell (UMass)

That portal is going to be obscene this year. It seriously could be the difference between being a Sweet 16 team - or missing the dance altogether. Top 10 programs are going to snag some serious talent. Tre Mitchell and Kellan Grady are definitely high on the list. I'd also be very high on Armaan Franklin, Myreon Jones, Marcus Carr, Xavier Johnson (might have attitude issues though), and Earl Timberlake. List is only going to get better.

That portal is going to be obscene this year. It seriously could be the difference between being a Sweet 16 team - or missing the dance altogether. Top 10 programs are going to snag some serious talent. Tre Mitchell and Kellan Grady are definitely high on the list. I'd also be very high on Armaan Franklin, Myreon Jones, Marcus Carr, Xavier Johnson (might have attitude issues though), and Earl Timberlake. List is only going to get better.

We don't do very well against the top programs when it comes to HS recruits but we've had some decent success competing with them for quality transfers. All I know is that we were way too soft this year. We need a physical big and a guard who can shoot. Someone who can create their own shot that isn't 5'9 would be nice too.

Anyone hearing about seniors sticking for the free year? I know one who plays for Illinois and he said "no way." I'm guessing that will be the case with most.

We don't do very well against the top programs when it comes to HS recruits but we've had some decent success competing with them for quality transfers. All I know is that we were way too soft this year. We need a physical big and a guard who can shoot. Someone who can create their own shot that isn't 5'9 would be nice too.

Tony Bennett's just got to have closer contact with the moms of these top-tier recruits. Didn't Ty Jerome's mom say that the first thing she noticed about Bennett was, "how handsome he was"? He needs to work that angle a little more.

Anyone hearing about seniors sticking for the free year? I know one who plays for Illinois and he said "no way." I'm guessing that will be the case with most.

I think this is going to be a very rare occurrence. Doesn't sound like any of UVA's seniors are coming back. I could see more coming back if all they had to do was play basketball but that's not the case.

Reactions: 829305
Tony Bennett's just got to have closer contact with the moms of these top-tier recruits. Didn't Ty Jerome's mom say that the first thing she noticed about Bennett was, "how handsome he was"? He needs to work that angle a little more.

It's funny you say that. There's a common theme on our message boards that getting mom's approval is usually the kiss of death for any of our recruits.

Mitch Lightfoot is the only one that I've heard of so far. I think he was in the same recruiting class as Perry Ellis.

Don't expect most to take advantage of the free year. If you graduate with a degree and have a limited window to play professionally, the incentive to coming back for another year is pretty low.

It's funny you say that. There's a common theme on our message boards that getting mom's approval is usually the kiss of death for any of our recruits.

Are you saying recruits don't really like it when a mom props up a program too much? As in, they don't want to be strongly influenced by a parent. Or are you saying that UVA hasn't had much success in getting that approval from the moms in the first place?

Are you saying recruits don't really like it when a mom props up a program too much? As in, they don't want to be strongly influenced by a parent. Or are you saying that UVA hasn't had much success in getting that approval from the moms in the first place?

I'm pretty sure all of the recruits we've landed have had mom's approval. But we've had a good number of recruits who had mom's approval that ultimately decided they were better off elsewhere. I can also think of a few quality recruits who wanted to come to UVA (e.g., Jared Butler) but parents lead them elsewhere. I think it takes a pretty unique 18-year-old to decide that UVA is the best place for him considering all of the other programs we compete against for recruits. The 2017-2019 recruiting classes have mostly been busts and we've had to rely on transfers to fill in the gaps.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Who else are we worried about leaving? If the rest stay, we still have a chance to be pretty good. Day’Ron is the key imo. The guards should get better.

Love will transfer IMO. They clearly think he is better than he is or that it's a bad fit. I don't disagree with the second part of that because he isn't a PG. If they want him to succeed he needs to be off the ball. I doubt they agree though.

Harris could transfer. I hope not though. There have been rumblings about Puff, though that makes no sense to me.

IMO, Harris and Kessler are the two guys with the most to gripe about. Love complaining would be silly. He got the most minutes and most usage on the entire team and was one of the most inefficient players in UNC history. I think he can be really good but his issues are on him.

I'm pretty sure all of the recruits we've landed have had mom's approval. But we've had a good number of recruits who had mom's approval that ultimately decided they were better off elsewhere. I can also think of a few quality recruits who wanted to come to UVA (e.g., Jared Butler) but parents lead them elsewhere. I think it takes a pretty unique 18-year-old to decide that UVA is the best place for him considering all of the other programs we compete against for recruits. The 2017-2019 recruiting classes have mostly been busts and we've had to rely on transfers to fill in the gaps.

I do wonder how Bennett sells UVA's playing style to a high schooler. Obviously your program is very effective, but not many 17/18 year-olds are thrilled about playing at a slow tempo, especially for those that are more interested in watching the fast-paced NBA. Obviously it helps when Bennett can point to his track record of having guys like Malcolm Brogdon and Joe Harris produce in the NBA - and the fact that UVA's been a 1 seed in four of the last seven tournaments. Even still, it's not an easy choice because that style of play doesn't generate a lot of excitement with youngsters.

Reactions: asindc and jhmossy
I do wonder how Bennett sells UVA's playing style to a high schooler. Obviously your program is very effective, but not many 17/18 year-olds are thrilled about playing at a slow tempo, especially for those that are more interested in watching the fast-paced NBA. Obviously it helps when Bennett can point to his track record of having guys like Malcolm Brogdon and Joe Harris produce in the NBA - and the fact that UVA's been a 1 seed in four of the last seven tournaments. Even still, it's not an easy choice because that style of play doesn't generate a lot of excitement with youngsters.

Your guess is as good as mine. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of his recruiting pitches to find out. The 2016 recruiting class has to be our model and it requires pretty much every 4-star we land to be a hit rather than a miss. Otherwise, we have to develop these 3-star recruits or international players and that's just not enough to consistently compete at the highest level. Or we have to bring in high quality transfers who have limited time in our system and struggle on the defensive end.

Man...Ewing is getting killed by the portal

Seriously. Akinjo, McClung, and now Wahab. These aren't players that left because of the off-court issues (had several guys that were kicked off, but none of these guys had issues like that). These aren't players that are leaving because of playing time. They're losing they're best scoring options for whatever reason. It's really head-scratching.

Reactions: duckboy33
oGq7Zpt.gif

Mitch Lightfoot is the only one that I've heard of so far. I think he was in the same recruiting class as Perry Ellis.

Don't expect most to take advantage of the free year. If you graduate with a degree and have a limited window to play professionally, the incentive to coming back for another year is pretty low.

Wow! Butler has four seniors that are all returning. I can't imagine this will be typical for a P6 program, but it'll be fun to track. This offseason is going to be bananas. NBA early entrants, unprecedented transfers that should be immediately eligible, and seniors that can be recruited for an additional year. Some rosters are going to look completely different.

A few more notable names have entered the portal:

Noah Locke- Florida
Myles Johnson- Rutgers
Jemarl Baker- Arizona
Jalen Cone- Virginia Tech
Emmitt Matthews- West Virginia
Josh Carlton- UConn

Reactions: ChiTownSean
Hoping to land Tyson Walker. He announces tomorrow. Sounds like it might be Michigan State though.

Basically, offseason will now be known as free agent season. As if the OAD era hadn't screwed the sport enough.

Reactions: cdbearde
I don't expect Hurt to come back. Don't think he'll improve his stock much. Probably a 2nd round pick whenever he goes. I'm hopeful that Williams will be back, at least. He and Banchero would be a formidable frontcourt. They probably merit a good 55-60 minutes at the 4/5 spots. Obviously their presence would leave little room for Brakefield to get on the court.

If we land Keels and keep everyone else, we'll have a loaded team. Should be a top 5 team. Should is the key word, of course.
If DJ returns/Baldwin commits and we land Keels, Duke will be the undisputed #1 team in the country and this might be our most complete roster ever in the OAD era.

Experience at the guard position? Check, Roach and DJ
Talent at the guard position? Check, all of them
Swiss army knife wing? Check, AJ Griffin
Do it all wing who can handle the ball? Check, Wendell Moore
Freakish OAD talent? Check, Paolo Banchero
Elite big man who can rebound and protect the rim? Check, Mark Williams
Bench Depth? Check, Keels/Coleman/Baker

Every Duke fan should be excited beyond belief if this is how the roster pans out.

If DJ returns/Baldwin commits and we land Keels, Duke will be the undisputed #1 team in the country and this might be our most complete roster ever in the OAD era.

Experience at the guard position? Check, Roach and DJ
Talent at the guard position? Check, all of them
Swiss army knife wing? Check, AJ Griffin
Do it all wing who can handle the ball? Check, Wendell Moore
Freakish OAD talent? Check, Paolo Banchero
Elite big man who can rebound and protect the rim? Check, Mark Williams
Bench Depth? Check, Keels/Coleman/Baker

Every Duke fan should be excited beyond belief if this is how the roster pans out.

Zion and RJ created a lot of buzz and we all saw how that turned out. Also let’s say Keels committs it wouldn’t surprise me if Baker left, hell he could leave if Keels doesn’t come.

Zion and RJ created a lot of buzz and we all saw how that turned out. Also let’s say Keels committs it wouldn’t surprise me if Baker left, hell he could leave if Keels doesn’t come.
Anyone with any sense knew that despite the talent of Williamson and Barret it was going to be difficult for Duke to win 6 in a row with practically no bench and only one halfway consistent outside threat.

But yeah, I could definitely see Baker leaving and I wouldn't blame him.

Anyone with any sense knew that despite the talent of Williamson and Barret it was going to be difficult for Duke to win 6 in a row with practically no bench and only one halfway consistent outside threat.

But yeah, I could definitely see Baker leaving and I wouldn't blame him.
What do you mean "we saw how that turned out"? They were the #1 Overall Seed in the Big Dance, won the ACCT and lost in the Elite 8 in a 1 point game.

No one can guarantee championships no matter how incredible the roster is. The single elimination format of the NCAAT makes that impossible.

My expectation is that we win the ACC next year and make the Elite 8 at least but be a favorite to cut down the nets.

There's some smoke coming from our boards that DJ Steward may leave or transfer.

But apparently Kellan Grady, the guy from Davidson, is interested in Duke as it was his dream school.

That would ease the blow I guess if DJ left but Steward has no business leaving Duke after one year. He could become a first rounder if he becomes a more consistent scorer, improves his playmaking and cuts down on his TOs.

ADVERTISEMENT