ADVERTISEMENT

Genuine question for UK fans on expectations

ThePhog08

Gold Member
May 2, 2008
I admit I have trolled lately. Mid season this board is dead and that sucks. I love when all blue bloods are good. They are the most entertaining rivalries. You can disagree but I would rather watch UK vs UNC when both are good over Lousiville vs UK . Or would rather watch Duke vs KU over KU vs Kstate/mizzou. But that is me. Now you know where I am coming from...

Every UK fan thinks next year is $ in the bank with this recruiting class. Do you really expect a title contender next year?

Even before GG Jackson re classified, all the pundits said next years class is a down year recruiting wise. No clear cut future NBA allstar. The class of the class was GG Jackson averaging 15.7 on 40% shooting.

One class for uk I feel like had more talent than 2023 was 2013

#2 Justin Edwards 6'2
#3 DJ Wagner 6'7
#6 Robert Dillingham 6'1
#8 Aaron Bradshaw 7'
#23 Reed Shephard 6'3

#2 Julius Randle 6'9
#5 Andrew Harrison 6'6
#7 Aaron Harrison 6'6
#9 Dakari Johnson 7'
#11 James Young 6'6
#19 Marcus Lee 6'9

Now Kentucky ended 24-10 in 2014. Made it to the championship game though. 2023-2024 most like will have some mid major transfers which 2013-2014 did not have. Also Maybe Oscar returns as a super senior. Who knows. But if 2013 class had more length , height and a superstar in Randle , what makes one assume next years UK class will be a top 10 team? Especially if this class as a whole is not special. What if wagner or dillingham is a ashton hagans and not a john wall. Or Bradshaw is more of a dakari johnson rather than a KAT.

It's a long shot but if UK doesn't make the tournament he's gone.
If UK makes the field and loses the first game I think he's definitely gone.

After the last 4-5 years I don't expect anything good happening with UK basketball until change is made. Until Cal proves he can go deep into the Tourney again I have no belief he can do so.

As far as next year's class, we'll have to see if they make it to campus. I have a feeling we miss the NCAAT again this year. If that happens, Cal and the recruiting class might be gone. If they do play for UK next year, I expect another year of disappointing losses early as they try and find an identity. On paper they should be really good but we've seen how that's worked out lately so who knows.

I'm honestly more excited about Reed Sheppard than any of the big names. And I think he stays committed no matter who's coaching next year.

Troll away. The team has earned it.

It’s time for Calipari to go, #1 rated class or not. He’s signed a top 2 class for the last few seasons and hasn’t achieved squat. These classes are being beat by good basketball players - not great. There hasn’t been much interest in cbb for me this season. Not just because UK being underachieving, but also because there isn’t a solid top 1 - 5 team. They’re interchangeable.

My expectations are if Cal stays we underachieve. If he goes we underachieve. I’ll take the latter with hopes of finding a coach who caters to the program and the state’s love for our teams instead of being a pipeline to the NBA. Getting Reed Sheppard was a solid tart. His mom and dad both played at UK and his entire family will be taken care of within Kentucky’s borders as long as they live. Calipari doesn’t have that same familial care for the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdbearde
LOL, no, the days of winning anything of substance with freshmen dominant teams, is long gone. Next years UK tem has 10+ losses written all over it.

If youth was the only issue, I would feel a little better about it, but Cal is a one trick pony. He only knows 1 way to coach and that's a half assed weave, then a bunch of standing around, followed by some dumb iso crap. It's garbage.

Troll away. The team has earned it.

It’s time for Calipari to go, #1 rated class or not. He’s signed a top 2 class for the last few seasons and hasn’t achieved squat. These classes are being beat by good basketball players - not great. There hasn’t been much interest in cbb for me this season. Not just because UK being underachieving, but also because there isn’t a solid top 1 - 5 team. They’re interchangeable.

My expectations are if Cal stays we underachieve. If he goes we underachieve. I’ll take the latter with hopes of finding a coach who caters to the program and the state’s love for our teams instead of being a pipeline to the NBA. Getting Reed Sheppard was a solid tart. His mom and dad both played at UK and his entire family will be taken care of within Kentucky’s borders as long as they live. Calipari doesn’t have that same familial care for the program.
Hi Random

LOL, no, the days of winning anything of substance with freshmen dominant teams, is long gone. Next years UK tem has 10+ losses written all over it.

If youth was the only issue, I would feel a little better about it, but Cal is a one trick pony. He only knows 1 way to coach and that's a half assed weave, then a bunch of standing around, followed by some dumb iso crap. It's garbage.
Hi Jeff

Reactions: kyjeff1
Thanks Della, good to see you too.
Tell your boys to go easy on my cats on Saturday.
Needless to say, I'm a little worried about that game.😂
Jeff,
I'm worried about Vandy and I'll be worried about y'all. There is really no excuse for y'all to be as bad as you are. I don't want you to figure it out Saturday.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Jeff,
I'm worried about Vandy and I'll be worried about y'all. There is really no excuse for y'all to be as bad as you are. I don't want you to figure it out Saturday.
I agree, sigh, this is frustrating. A good coach shouldn't need a team full of NBA lottery picks to win college games.

A lot of coaches would have this UK team in the top 5 right now.

Returning NPOY
Top 7 lottery pick
2 time SEC assist leader
3 elite shooters
Multiple 5 star players
Multiple juniors and seniors

I mean, there is no reason for what we are seeing, but I'm not surprised. Cal has been leaking oil for 7 or 8 years now. The college game has changed, but he hasn’t.

I admit I have trolled lately.
christmas-vacation-no-shit.gif

Next year should be the deciding factor if the game has passed him by. Since 2015, Covid robbed him of a great chance (won SEC by 3 games), Monk and Fox and co fell short on a last-second shot and missed FTs with Auburn from reaching FF's. He's been right there except for the past two years. Even last year I think UK was the 6th overall seed.

Everyone always said veterans and young talent are the perfect mix. Let's see how he does.
*Also, this year isn't over.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdbearde and KisteK
Next year should be the deciding factor if the game has passed him by. Since 2015, Covid robbed him of a great chance (won SEC by 3 games), Monk and Fox and co fell short on a last-second shot and missed FTs with Auburn from reaching FF's. He's been right there except for the past two years. Even last year I think UK was the 6th overall seed.

Everyone always said veterans and young talent are the perfect mix. Let's see how he does.

Love your optimism lurk, but I feel like we're both going to end up disappointed at how these next two years play out. Maybe I'll get surprised and something good happens.

Since '15 season UK has finished in the AP final Top Ten, 5 of the 7 seasons. 18th and UR are the other two.
2 E8's, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 1 Second Round loss, 1 First round loss, and again one canceled tournament with Quickley, Maxey leading the charge by winning the SEC by 3 games.

Reactions: KisteK
Is it almost too much to pile on UK right now. There is kicking someone when they're down. And then there is kicking a corpse

If it helps KU closed out a game where an inferior team played out of their minds

Is it almost too much to pile on UK right now. There is kicking someone when they're down. And then there is kicking a corpse

If it helps KU closed out a game where an inferior team played out of their minds
Everyone is fair game, even though there is some of us that don't pile on other teams, there are plenty of UK fans that do, so we take what comes because of that. 👍 💪

Edit. And I don't take it in the wrong way. 😎

Kentucky will land on their feet.

Quite sure many good coaches would jump at the chance to coach there. As much as I would like to see Cal stay, it is time for them to move on.

Jared Harper and Bryce brown owned your guards in the 2nd half of that elite 8 game. Wasn’t just missed free throws. Auburn missed some free throws also in that 2nd half. However just a month before they game Kentucky best that exact auburn team by 30 in Rupp. Auburn was on fire starting with sec tourney that year though. The sec tourney title game where we blasted Tennessee by 20 may be my favorite game of all time

Anger, public chastising, dropping attendance will force change. UK has been successful across decades and generations. The trajectory Calipari has the program on right now is unacceptable. To dick around with our tradition is reckless. Change has to come, regardless of how painful it might be temporarily.

I don’t care if other fanbases take turns piling on. UK deserves it. Great programs demand it.

Anger, public chastising, dropping attendance will force change. UK has been successful across decades and generations. The trajectory Calipari has the program on right now is unacceptable. To dick around with our tradition is reckless. Change has to come, regardless of how painful it might be temporarily.

I don’t care if other fanbases take turns piling on. UK deserves it. Great programs demand it.

I'll pile on to fans that continuously talk shit and then run and hide when things get rough. I'm talking to you @Yet Another UK Fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: ExitFlagger
Kentucky fans didn’t want to listen when I said some thing changed with cal back in 2016/2017 and UK just has never fully recovered.

I see no reason to pile on y'all cause y'all are piling on yourselves.

What do UK fans want exactly. Cal has , in 12 tourneys, has 7 EE's, 4 final fours, a national title, 45 draft picks and won the league half of the time. I get 2020-2021 and this year are bad, but in the totality of it all what are the expectations here? Outside of number of titles, even Rupp doesn't have that resume.

ADVERTISEMENT