ADVERTISEMENT

Would you be open to meeting?

I've never visited him, but I did make sure to stop in his town on the way to visit my dad when was alive and worked in central city. Seemed like a nice place.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I've never visited him, but I did make sure to stop in his town on the way to visit my dad when was alive and worked in central city. Seemed like a nice place.
Smiths Grove is little and does not have a red light. I lived in large cities for 32 years when I worked for the railroad, so when I retired my new home had to be in a town without red lights. Smiths Grove at the time had one caution light and now that has been replaced by a four way stop. So far, 22 years later, it still does not have a red light!

We do have traffic problems on Halloween. Brooms flying et.al.

Smiths Grove is little and does not have a red light. I lived in large cities for 32 years when I worked for the railroad, so when I retired my new home had to be in a town without red lights. Smiths Grove at the time had one caution light and now that has been replaced by a four way stop. So far, 22 years later, it still does not have a red light!

We do have traffic problems on Halloween. Brooms flying et.al.
I didn't realize you were way down there by Bowling Green, Bert. I have some friends in Smiths Grove. You might be familiar with the name Elkins? I believe there is even an Elkins Rd there which I believe is named for the family or their property. My friend Brian Elkins owns/runs a restoration business there, SKY Restoration DKI. They do water, fire, mold, roofting, etc.

• Love
I didn't realize you were way down there by Bowling Green, Bert. I have some friends in Smiths Grove. You might be familiar with the name Elkins? I believe there is even an Elkins Rd there which I believe is named for the family or their property. My friend Brian Elkins owns/runs a restoration business there, SKY Restoration DKI. They do water, fire, mold, roofting, etc.
I know some Elkins.

I was on the City Commission for 6 years and was Mayor for 4 years. You interact with a bunch of folks when you hold office. I still administer the city's web site.

Smiths Grove is a handy place to live. I am 1/2 mile away from a doctor, 1/2 mile away from a drug store, 3/4 mile away from a liquor store and 1 mile away from an IGA store. Good Mexican cafe, McDonalds, Wendy's etc. But I still have cows in the back yard:
283990367_5096821563766720_3865696528691562784_n.jpg

and pretty flowers
281030266_5067455023370041_6340500225998031838_n.jpg

I know some Elkins.

I was on the City Commission for 6 years and was Mayor for 4 years. You interact with a bunch of folks when you hold office. I still administer the city's web site.

Smiths Grove is a handy place to live. I am 1/2 mile away from a doctor, 1/2 mile away from a drug store, 3/4 mile away from a liquor store and 1 mile away from an IGA store. Good Mexican cafe, McDonalds, Wendy's etc. But I still have cows in the back yard:

and pretty flowers
You are living the dream, my friend! Beautiful country down there and beautiful home too! Basically the complete opposite of the rolling hills/mountain country I'm used to in northern and eastern KY. However, I have been to WKU and I can see why they are called the Hilltoppers. I got a nice workout hiking around the campus that day. 😂 Maybe I'll make it up your way at some point to drink all your bourbon and pass out on your couch. 😂

Bourbon with coke? Eww
I'll drink the shitty lower shelf whiskey/bourbon with Coke; typically Beam, Jack, or Evan Williams. That's as low as it gets for me. I won't drink what most bars serve up as well, which is usually Old Crow or some shit that's similarly nasty. Good stuff goes on the rocks. I guess I'm not refined enough to drink it neat but I don't like anything alcoholic at room temp.

I'll drink the shitty lower shelf whiskey/bourbon with Coke; typically Beam, Jack, or Evan Williams. That's as low as it gets for me. I won't drink what most bars serve up as well, which is usually Old Crow or some shit that's similarly nasty. Good stuff goes on the rocks. I guess I'm not refined enough to drink it neat but I don't like anything alcoholic at room temp.
Agree with your point on room temp. I am more of a scotch or gin fan myself than bourbon actually

Agree with your point on room temp. I am more of a scotch or gin fan myself than bourbon actually
I never could get into either one. Scotch to me has a weird musty flavor/odor to it. Don't like Irish whiskey either. Gin is a little too heavy on the floral/pine/juniper for my taste. If I'm not drinking bourbon/whiskey I'm drinking beer or vodka and can be convinced to take the occasional chilled tequila shot.

You are living the dream, my friend! Beautiful country down there and beautiful home too! Basically the complete opposite of the rolling hills/mountain country I'm used to in northern and eastern KY. However, I have been to WKU and I can see why they are called the Hilltoppers. I got a nice workout hiking around the campus that day. 😂 Maybe I'll make it up your way at some point to drink all your bourbon and pass out on your couch. 😂
Kevin, give me a private message and I will give you my phone number and start to age some good steaks. The bourbon is always here.

I attended WKU for chemistry. My little area is flat but parts of Bowling Green are big hills.

Back to the topography of Kentucky. It is wonderful. I love the mountains. I love the rolling hills. This is my home state. Simon Kenton settled Maysville. He was a hero in all ways. Please read the "Frontiersmen" by Allan Eckert. Sorry Allan Eckert is from Wisconsin, but he is one hell of a historian. He speaks the truth.

The area in which I grew up was set aside for the Virginia patriots from the revolutionary war. In Filson's map of "Kentucke" there is a portion marked for the patriots. From Munfordsville to the little Barren River, South of the Green River, to the North Carolina line (now Tennessee) was given to the Virginia Patriots. That is why I was born here. I have 12 direct ancestors that fought in the Revolution. My wife's family is similar. Patrick Henry's sister is buried 400 feet from where I am typing this message. Her brother in law was Kentucky's third (if my memory serves correctly) governor of Kentucky.

My big love is history. My family are worthless without history. With history we are great. We tend to fight for lost causes. One win was the American Revolution. Our decisions often have been less than great. Nearly half of my family fought for the CSA and a little over half fought for the Union. The deal was that after the war they still loved each other.

I am kin a couple U.S. Presidents but that only looks good in "Ancestry". But inside my guts it is priceless.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
There ain't nuttin' wrong with Evan dude! I am drinking it now because I just got back from the doctor and he told me to cut down on the alcohol. Evan is lower proof than my normal drink.

Kevin, give me a private message and I will give you my phone number and start to age some good steaks. The bourbon is always here.

I attended WKU for chemistry. My little area is flat but parts of Bowling Green are big hills.

Back to the topography of Kentucky. It is wonderful. I love the mountains. I love the rolling hills. This is my home state. Simon Kenton settled Maysville. He was a hero in all ways. Please read the "Frontiersmen" by Allan Eckert. Sorry Allan Eckert is from Wisconsin, but he is one hell of a historian. He speaks the truth.

The area in which I grew up was set aside for the Virginia patriots from the revolutionary war. In Filson's map of "Kentucke" there is a portion marked for the patriots. From Munfordsville to the little Barren River, South of the Green River, to the North Carolina line (now Tennessee) was given to the Virginia Patriots. That is why I was born here. I have 12 direct ancestors that fought in the Revolution. My wife's family is similar. Patrick Henry's sister is buried 400 feet from where I am typing this message. Her brother in law was Kentucky's third (if my memory serves correctly) governor of Kentucky.

My big love is history. My family are worthless without history. With history we are great. We tend to fight for lost causes. One win was the American Revolution. Our decisions often have been less than great. Nearly half of my family fought for the CSA and a little over half fought for the Union. The deal was that after the war they still loved each other.

I am kin a couple U.S. Presidents but that only looks good in "Ancestry". But inside my guts it is priceless.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will read The Frontiersman. I love books like that and reading about the early history of our state. I used to travel to Maysville for work on a regular basis (about 65 miles down AA highway from where I lived). I'm from Kenton County and Simon Kenton High School is there as well, although I went to Dixie Heights.

• Love
So much going on with PTO and such.

Doesn't anyone here want to meet others?

If it was all set up. Would you take the time off?

I've met many who won't take the time for a phone call.
almost went to vegas with @jhmossy and @bignish a few years ago for the tournament but the wife put her hoof down so I missed out. Vegas NCAA tournament would be a good spot for everyone to meet once Biden gets out of office and I can afford to spend money on non-essentials again.

almost went to vegas with @jhmossy and @bignish a few years ago for the tournament but the wife put her hoof down so I missed out. Vegas NCAA tournament would be a good spot for everyone to meet once Biden gets out of office and I can afford to spend money on non-essentials again.
Mossy and Bignish are two fine guys. You would have had fun.

Circa is the spot. Their sports book is the place to watch tourney games, plus it's on Fremont which is way better than the strip.

I know some Elkins.

and pretty flowers
Hey @Bert Higginbotha , just an FYI, we stopped at the Race Trac fuel station on the way back through, just north of Smith Grove. There is a liquor store right next to the Subway that took a bunch of our money. They have a ton of top shelf bourbon in there.
I left with 2 bottles of red label Blanton's, 2 bottles of black label Blanton's, 1 bottle of Weller antique, one bottle of Weller reserve and a really odd looking Woodford Reserve, it's a batch proof 118.4. Go there if you're looking for high end stuff, but don't tell anybody about it, keep.it on the down low. 😁

Needless to say, I have a little buyers remorse now.

Everytime I go down there I spend way too much money. Last time down, I bought an F450 and 2 King Ranch F350's. I need to stay the hell out of Smith Grove, I'm going to go broke.

Hey @Bert Higginbotha , just an FYI, we stopped at the Race Trac fuel station on the way back through, just north of Smith Grove. There is a liquor store right next to the Subway that took a bunch of our money. They have a ton of top shelf bourbon in there.
I left with 2 bottles of red label Blanton's, 2 bottles of black label Blanton's, 1 bottle of Weller antique, one bottle of Weller reserve and a really odd looking Woodford Reserve, it's a batch proof 118.4. Go there if you're looking for high end stuff, but don't tell anybody about it, keep.it on the down low. 😁

Needless to say, I have a little buyers remorse now.

Everytime I go down there I spend way too much money. Last time down, I bought an F450 and 2 King Ranch F350's. I need to stay the hell out of Smith Grove, I'm going to go broke.
Thanks for the tip Jeff.

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Why isn’t this happening? I understand geographical challenges, but that can me negotiated. I’d drive few hours to see some of you. I’d set my expectations very low too. Why won’t people pursue this?
There are probably a lot of fans that live within driving distance of each other.

I can think of 8 fans off the top of my head that live between us.

How’s your son doing these days? I hope things have been going better.
He can walk with a cane but if we go somewhere he needs the help of a wheelchair. It’s hard on him being so young and seeing everybody else starting their careers and stuff while he can’t. I think he’s dealing with depression right now also. I can’t imagine how hard it is on him. It absolutely kills me seeing him like that. Appreciate you asking!

ADVERTISEMENT