ADVERTISEMENT

Would the Zags still get a 1 Seed if...

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
Is Gonzaga still a lock to get a 1 Seed if the following happened...

1. Loser of Duke/UNC Saturday wins in the rematch in the ACC Semis
2. UK/Tennessee wins their last regular season game and wins the SECT

Given that UVA is a stone cold lock, how do you justify putting the Zags above the other 2 ACC or SEC teams in this case?

Would a 3 loss Tennessee team that won the regular season SEC crown, beat the Zags H2H and won the SECT not get a 1 Seed?

Would a Carolina team that swept Duke and beat Gonzaga H2H not get a 1 Seed?

Would a Duke team that swept UVA, beat Big 12 Champ Texas Tech on a neural court, crushed top 5 UK and beat UNC once with the Zion and missing key players argument not get a 1 Seed?

It's a real headache for the NCAA committee because UK beat UNC H2H, UNC beat Gonzaga H2H and Tennessee beat UNC H2H.

One of the top 6 teams is going to be really unhappy come Selection Sunday. SmokinSmile

I think Gonzaga will get a 1 seed if they win out. Doesn't mean they deserve it in that scenario. But they'll get it regardless.

I'm also interested to see how the committee handles the 1 seed in the East which I believe both Duke and UVA would prefer. Do they rank Duke ahead of UVA due to the H2H wins? How many of the losses that Duke suffers without Zion will the committee excuse? I really don't want the 1 seed in the South with Kentucky as the 2 seed. I don't mind playing Kentucky but not in Louisville (assuming we would get that far).

I think Gonzaga will get a 1 seed if they win out. Doesn't mean they deserve it in that scenario. But they'll get it regardless.

I'm also interested to see how the committee handles the 1 seed in the East which I believe both Duke and UVA would prefer. Do they rank Duke ahead of UVA due to the H2H wins? How many of the losses that Duke suffers without Zion will the committee excuse? I really don't want the 1 seed in the South with Kentucky as the 2 seed. I don't mind playing Kentucky but not in Louisville (assuming we would get that far).
UVA is currently slotted as the #1 Overall Seed and would keep it unless Duke won the ACCT with Zion back and beat UVA for a 3rd time in the ACC Championship game. That might not be even enough if Duke loses again at UNC on Saturday even if they then rebound and win the ACCT.

Do the other 1 Seeds get to choose their geographic preference or is it just the #1 Overall that gets to do that? I think Duke would prefer to be the #1 in the Midwest and avoid the hordes of anti-Duke fans that will pack the Yum Center in the Regional games if at all possible.

Reactions: jhmossy
If UNC beats Dook sat, I don’t see where Dook is a lock for a 1 seed.
Duke would have to beat UNC again in the ACC Tournament and I'm pretty confident they'd still be a 1 seed even if they lose to UVA in the Final.

In your scenario above they would not deserve it, but would likely still get a 1. The committee will be afraid of the optics of putting in 3 ACC teams and leaving out the small school. They’ll fall back on the metrics saying Zags are one of the best teams despite the soft schedule.

Is Gonzaga still a lock to get a 1 Seed if the following happened...

1. Loser of Duke/UNC Saturday wins in the rematch in the ACC Semis
2. UK/Tennessee wins their last regular season game and wins the SECT

Given that UVA is a stone cold lock, how do you justify putting the Zags above the other 2 ACC or SEC teams in this case?

Would a 3 loss Tennessee team that won the regular season SEC crown, beat the Zags H2H and won the SECT not get a 1 Seed?

Would a Carolina team that swept Duke and beat Gonzaga H2H not get a 1 Seed?

Would a Duke team that swept UVA, beat Big 12 Champ Texas Tech on a neural court, crushed top 5 UK and beat UNC once with the Zion and missing key players argument not get a 1 Seed?

It's a real headache for the NCAA committee because UK beat UNC H2H, UNC beat Gonzaga H2H and Tennessee beat UNC H2H.

One of the top 6 teams is going to be really unhappy come Selection Sunday. SmokinSmile

The NCAA has no headache.

They will give Duke, UVA and UNC a 1 seed. The fourth 1 will be Gonzaga.

Tennessee will be given a 2, Mich State and Michigan will be given a 2. LSU will be given a 2.

I’d be all like “Screw you, Pop Pop... yer a giant PUSS!”

And he’d be all like “Damn kids, these days... now get off my lawn!”

Gonzaga is a lock for #1 seed (barring a shocking upset) — As much as I don’t like it, you can’t discredit their resume.

It’ll be the same repeating story though. No tournament luck. Bounced before E8 or F4.

Does anyone even want a 1 seed in the West? Seems like whether it be Kentucky, Tennessee, or North Carolina, you might be more content to be the 2 seed in the South or East.

Gonzaga is a lock for #1 seed (barring a shocking upset) — As much as I don’t like it, you can’t discredit their resume.

It’ll be the same repeating story though. No tournament luck. Bounced before E8 or F4.

I mean, you can definitely discredit their resume. They played 3 good teams all year and went 1-2 in those games. Other than that they’ve just beaten up on a lot of inferior opponents. UVA, duke, UNC, and UK all have better resumes imo but the NCAA doesn’t want the optics of “punishing” them for being in a small conference.

Does anyone even want a 1 seed in the West? Seems like whether it be Kentucky, Tennessee, or North Carolina, you might be more content to be the 2 seed in the South or East.
I would like to see Kentucky in the South; however, usually the West is seeding with the weaker teams. So one could expect a final four spot being easier than the South or East.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT