ADVERTISEMENT

Worst rated Power 5 conference went undefeated in tourney

imajericho

Aug 26, 2012
Against every conference they played besides the big 12.

Against the big 12 they were 3-4 (national championship decided the final outcome)

Losses
Miami to Kansas
Notre Dame to Texas Tech
VA Tech to Texas
North Carolina to Kansas

Wins
Duke over Texas Tech
North Carolina over Baylor
Miami over Iowa State.

Not bad.

4 ACC teams did good work. Still...that's less than a third of the league. Every power conference has some strong teams at the top.

ACC wasn’t the worst P5. You guys had a weak OOC schedule and got docked for it. But not your fault.

tourney is what matters in the end so very impressive. Big 12 and SEC had an incredible conference NET and RPI bc it had great scheduling.

Big 12: 3-4
Other Power Conferences: 8-0

BIG EAST
UNC > Marquette

BIG TEN
Duke > Michigan State
Notre Dame > Rutgers

PAC-12
UNC > UCLA
Miami > USC

SEC
Duke > Arkansas
Miami > Auburn
Notre Dame > Alabama

That's pretty crazy that the ACC-Big 12 played 7 games against each other. I've never tracked a stat like this before, but have two conferences ever had that many matchups before in the NCAA Tournament? It was like it's own miniature ACC/Big 12 Challenge and the championship game determined the winner of the challenge.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
4 ACC teams did good work. Still...that's less than a third of the league. Every power conference has some strong teams at the top.

Well, not really. I mean, the ACC won 14 tournament games. Big Ten won 9, SEC and Big East won 6, and the Pac-12 won 3.

Big 12 was the best conference this season. But after that, it's hard to argue that anyone was stronger at the top than the ACC.

Reactions: RockChalk82
Well, not really. I mean, the ACC won 14 tournament games. Big Ten won 9, SEC and Big East won 6, and the Pac-12 won 3.

Big 12 was the best conference this season. But after that, it's hard to argue that anyone was stronger at the top than the ACC.

I agree. We’ve been the best last 3 seasons. I’d even say 4 including 2019 but uva did edge tech in the natty.

ACC is basketball Mecca tho and been the KiNG since 2000. It’s going to be Big 12 and ACC for years ahead. Sec and big 10 as well as Beast always up there and interchanging.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I’d even say 4 including 2019 but uva did edge tech in the natty.

Depends on how you define it. The Big 12 usually does well in the metrics because you don't have bottom-dwellers like the ACC and other power conferences. But, you guys weren't top-heavy in 2019. Tech was the only team in the Sweet 16. ACC had 3 #1 seeds - and FSU was in the Sweet 16, as well.

Fair. But I think a lot of people have the idea that the success of Duke/UNC/Miami indicates that the rest of the conference was great this year. I don't necessarily think that's the case.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Fair. But I think a lot of people have the idea that the success of Duke/UNC/Miami indicates that the rest of the conference was great this year. I don't necessarily think that's the case.

Yeah, ACC was mostly trash at the bottom. Top 5 teams or so were nice. I'm just arguing for the top teams. Unlike the ACC, the Big 12 has really strong teams at the bottom of the conference. I think you could argue maybe that Wake Forest wasn't given the benefit of the doubt like many of the teams in the Big Ten.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Yeah, ACC was mostly trash at the bottom. Top 5 teams or so were nice. I'm just arguing for the top teams. Unlike the ACC, the Big 12 has really strong teams at the bottom of the conference. I think you could argue maybe that Wake Forest wasn't given the benefit of the doubt like many of the teams in the Big Ten.
Yep. Big 10 should have had fewer bids, and Wake probably should have been in. Along with A&M and Oklahoma.

Why was kansas the only top big12 team to make the EE or FF?

was
Because the other top teams ran into Duke and UNC. No one's arguing that those two weren't good.

Why did the ACC have a losing record vs the Big 12?

KU won the natty. Congrats, thats what matters.

But Thats the only impressive thing any b12 team did in the tourney sans i guess iowa state making the SS(beaten by miami)

Against every conference they played besides the big 12.

Against the big 12 they were 3-4 (national championship decided the final outcome)

Losses
Miami to Kansas
Notre Dame to Texas Tech
VA Tech to Texas
North Carolina to Kansas

Wins
Duke over Texas Tech
North Carolina over Baylor
Miami over Iowa State.

Not bad.
Well ya see the competition is not as physical during the regular season as some other conference like the SEC. It’s all 3 pointers and finesse. They are fresh from the reg season. That’s what I am going with. Anyways, your games are too late for me to watch

Yep. Big 10 should have had fewer bids, and Wake probably should have been in. Along with A&M and Oklahoma.
WHo do you exclude from the B10?

MIchigan went to the SW 16....
Indiana went 1-1
Rutgers possibly?

After those three,rest were gimmie's: PU, Ill, Iowa, Wisky, MSU and OSU.

A&M lost to Ole Miss, Sout Carolina, Vandy amd Missouri....And at one point, lost 8 in a row. Strong run in the SECT. DId beat UK/Arkanasas----but rest of their 7 SEC wins were against meh to bad teams: UGA (2), Mizzou, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St...

Oklahoma OOC was , well, meh---did beat Arkansas---but also lost to Butler and Utah State. Had a stretch late where they lost 10 of 13 games as well... They were 7-11 in the B12---And of those 7 wins, only 2 came vs NCAAT teams: TTU/Iowa State. Swept by UT, TCU, KU and Baylor..

I mean, ya gotta beat someone.....

WHo do you exclude from the B10?

MIchigan went to the SW 16....
Indiana went 1-1
Rutgers possibly?

After those three,rest were gimmie's: PU, Ill, Iowa, Wisky, MSU and OSU.

A&M lost to Ole Miss, Sout Carolina, Vandy amd Missouri....And at one point, lost 8 in a row. Strong run in the SECT. DId beat UK/Arkanasas----but rest of their 7 SEC wins were against meh to bad teams: UGA (2), Mizzou, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St...

Oklahoma OOC was , well, meh---did beat Arkansas---but also lost to Butler and Utah State. Had a stretch late where they lost 10 of 13 games as well... They were 7-11 in the B12---And of those 7 wins, only 2 came vs NCAAT teams: TTU/Iowa State. Swept by UT, TCU, KU and Baylor..

I mean, ya gotta beat someone.....

Oklahoma blew out Arkansas, blew out Texas Tech, and beat Baylor. Among others. I don't think there's a long list of teams with three wins better than those going into the tourney. They also almost beat KU twice and probably should've won a controversial 1-point game vs Tech in the conf tourney. They were a good team that just played a brutal schedule. Period.

As for the non-con, Rutgers lost to Depaul, Lafayette and Umass and beat no one decent. If OU's non-con was meh, I don't know what you'd call that.

I think OU should have been in before Rutgers or Indiana.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Oklahoma blew out Arkansas, blew out Texas Tech, and beat Baylor. Among others. I don't think there's a long list of teams with three wins better than those going into the tourney. They also almost beat KU twice and probably should've won a controversial 1-point game vs Tech in the conf tourney. They were a good team that just played a brutal schedule. Period.

As for the non-con, Rutgers lost to Depaul, Lafayette and Umass and beat no one decent. If OU's non-con was meh, I don't know what you'd call that.

I think OU should have been in before Rutgers or Indiana.
Rutgers I can get, possibly. THose OOC losses were, well, yikes---But, they did have what, 9 Quad 1 wins? OU had 5.

Indiana, though? I mean IU had wins over Notre Dame, Illinois, Purdue, Michigan and Ohio State..... THose 5 wins IMO are just as good as the 3 wins over Arky, TTU and Baylor...And speaking of "all most"---IU almost beat Purdue twice as well; missed 3 at buzzer, at Mackey..Almost beat Wisconsin twice also.......Indiana's worse loss was @ Nwestern....OU lost to Butler and Utah State. IU to was a good team that played a brutal schedule as well---Only diffeence is, they didn't lose 10 of 13 games late in the year. NOt to mention, Indiana went 9-11 in conference....OU went 7-11.

Possibly a good argument over Rutgers, who had those awful OOC losses, struggled down the stretch. Not so much vs Indiana.

Depends on how you define it. The Big 12 usually does well in the metrics because you don't have bottom-dwellers like the ACC and other power conferences. But, you guys weren't top-heavy in 2019. Tech was the only team in the Sweet 16. ACC had 3 #1 seeds - and FSU was in the Sweet 16, as well.
In 2018, the Big 12 had #1 Kansas, #3 Texas Tech, and #9 Kansas St in the Elite 8

Going back to 2017 Tournament

Sweet 16 (6 out of 10 schools)
Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa St, Kansas St, and West Virginia
*TCU loss to #1 Arizona in OT in the round of 32.

Elite 8
Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas St

Final 4
Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech

Title Game
Kansas, Baylor, Texas Tech

In 2021-2022 AP Preaseason poll
SEC - 5 teams
Big 10 - 5 teams
ACC - 4 teams
Big 12 - 3 teams
Pac 12 - 2 teams