ADVERTISEMENT

Will Izzo go down again?

I’d love to. One guy scored half their points. Powell only plays a good game instead of a once in a lifetime game and MSU wins by 15.
Not a once in a lifetime game for him. He has games like that. It wasn’t even his career high

Reactions: GE Nole
People wondered how UK lost to them last year. Myles Powell is the answer.

Also MSU fans bs UK and then SHU:

“We won’t miss open shots again”
“Damn these refs are hosing us”
“That player won’t shoot like that again”.

Ever stop to think your shooting or your D might be the problem at this point?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

It's just the way fans think. Excuses.

And Laughing @ MSU's D.

Reactions: RipThru

Nope. We shot 44% from three.

Myles Powell has almost every shot contested. I can eye test we played good defense on him. If you watched the game you could understand. That’s why it was so impressive, none of those threes were wide open.

Reactions: JDMEvergreen

MSU shot 12-27 from 3, good for 44%. They shot 5-26 against UK, 19%. And we still did miss some open 3's last night.

It does seem like there is always a player that absolutely goes off against MSU, even with good defense, and then reverts back to the mean afterwards. Happened last year in the Champions Classic against KU, where their freshman Quinton Grimes hit 6-10 from 3 and led them with 21 points... his most points that entire season, and he ended up a 34% shooter from 3. Or McMahon from Louisville who had his season high of 24 off the bench against MSU last year.

Maxey hit 3-7 from 3 and 26 points against MSU, and in the 2 games since is 1-6 from 3, with 6 turnovers in 59 minutes of play. I expect he'll have some big games this season as he's a player, just seems like MSU always gets everyone's best / career game. Maybe a lot of teams feel like that for their own team too, though.

MSU shot 12-27 from 3, good for 44%. They shot 5-26 against UK, 19%. And we still did miss some open 3's last night.

It does seem like there is always a player that absolutely goes off against MSU, even with good defense, and then reverts back to the mean afterwards. Happened last year in the Champions Classic against KU, where their freshman Quinton Grimes hit 6-10 from 3 and led them with 21 points... his most points that entire season, and he ended up a 34% shooter from 3. Or McMahon from Louisville who had his season high of 24 off the bench against MSU last year.

Maxey hit 3-7 from 3 and 26 points against MSU, and in the 2 games since is 1-6 from 3, with 6 turnovers in 59 minutes of play. I expect he'll have some big games this season as he's a player, just seems like MSU always gets everyone's best / career game. Maybe a lot of teams feel like that for their own team too, though.

People never have outlier games against anyone but MSU

Reactions: GE Nole and RipThru
Matt McQuaid was a 9.8 ppg scorer last year and scored 27 points on 7 of 13 from three against Michigan in the conference championship.

Shit happens

Matt McQuaid was a 9.8 ppg scorer last year and scored 27 points on 7 of 13 from three against Michigan in the conference championship.

Shit happens
Agreed. It seems to happen more than average to MSU. I don’t need to give more examples because MileHigh already did.

It happens to everyone. Kansas fans seem to think that they are cursed. We could probably name 10-15 players going back a decade that had career games against KU. But during that same timeframe KU has held most guys in check and won nearly 300 games so, you know, the defense works more often than not. I think it's just a law of averages type thing for somebody to have nights like that against your team.

I'm pretty sure it seems that way to every fan. I think Izzo's teams have had pretty good luck overall.

What you're not considering is that it often balances out. Yeah, Grimes had one of his best shooting games of the year vs Mich St, but Vick had his worst. 1-7. His next several games looked like this: 12-14, 11-18, 6-12, 10-17.

I wanted to include it, but I got scared away when I saw headlines like this...

powell-injury.jpg

Which was obvious bullshit to try and gain an advantage. Bush league move IMO.

It happens to everyone. Kansas fans seem to think that they are cursed. We could probably name 10-15 players going back a decade that had career games against KU. But during that same timeframe KU has held most guys in check and won nearly 300 games so, you know, the defense works more often than not. I think it's just a law of averages type thing for somebody to have nights like that against your team.
Yeah it's easy to remember close losses where someone goes off when you don't lose very much.

Agreed. It seems to happen more than average to MSU. I don’t need to give more examples because MileHigh already did.

Of course you’re going to feel that way because you watch MSU more than anybody. I could go through and do something similar for Michigan.

It happens to everyone and it’s not worth crying about.

I'm pretty sure it seems that way to every fan. I think Izzo's teams have had pretty good luck overall.

What you're not considering is that it often balances out. Yeah, Grimes had one of his best shooting games of the year vs Mich St, but Vick had his worst. 1-7. His next several games looked like this: 12-14, 11-18, 6-12, 10-17.

Exactly.

Reactions: RipThru
Its one of those things when fan remember the bad beats against them but rarely remember when they dish out bad beats. Just like poker players...they all remember when they have aces and lose to kings, but rarely remember when their queens beat kings.

For sure. Or remember how often other players at the table took bad beats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT