ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Houston considered the overall 1?

It's nonsense really.

I was just thinking the other day, after ooc, Zags were ranked around 15 I think.

They keep winning in a weak league, while p6 teams are taking losses. Now they're a top 10 team.

If they were in the b12, B1G, or sec they'd be a 5/6 seed.

Now they are in 2 seed discussions.

Same thing is happening with Houston. Maybe they are the best team in the country, but running up the score against bad competition is not the way to prove that.

Their schedule would rate around 100. They only lost 2 games and that is good, but how they beat their opponents matters too.

Y'all have lost 5 with a tough schedule. One has to look and the wins/losses and margins too.

Of course you know, I'm a fan of KU and Self. But, just trying to keep it real.
Running it up against scrubs shouldn't matter.

Houston's best win is neutral vs St Mary's (meh).

Best win over a p5 is @UVA (meh).

Their best result is a loss at home to Bama.

Other good wins at home vs Memphis and @Oregon.

They are 3-1 vs teams in the tourney, with @Memphis looming.

Lol. Half the big 12 would have the same record with that schedule.

If uh played Kansas or Texas schedule, they'd be an 8 loss team.

They also have a q3 loss. If they lose to Memphis they should be a 3 seed. Win, and they should be a 2 seed.

4 quad 1 wins. KU has 15, Alabama/Purdue 9. The committee is obviously supposed to take schedule strength into account, but if they are....how do you justify giving Houston the overall 1 (as of now)?

Has anything like that ever happened?
As of right now, I think the seeds should be in order:

Kansas
Alabama
Houston
Purdue

Houston and Alabama are a toss up, but I'd give the nod to Alabama because of more Q1 wins. Purdue just hasn't looked good these last few weeks.

Running it up against scrubs shouldn't matter.

Houston's best win is neutral vs St Mary's (meh).

Best win over a p5 is @UVA (meh).

Their best result is a loss at home to Bama.

Other good wins at home vs Memphis and @Oregon.

They are 3-1 vs teams in the tourney, with @Memphis looming.

Lol. Half the big 12 would have the same record with that schedule.

If uh played Kansas or Texas schedule, they'd be an 8 loss team.

They also have a q3 loss. If they lose to Memphis they should be a 3 seed. Win, and they should be a 2 seed.
No dog in this fight and KU is the only projected 1 seed we played but they are the best team we played all season and that was before the injuries.

AL has a ton of noise around the program right now which is not a positive. Houston is Gonzaga 2023 and while Sampson is a scum bag he can flat out coach.

I would go
KU
HU
AL
UCLA

I put too much stock in it according to whom? What do they value more than quad 1 wins?

I’m also not sure how this helps Houston. KU has by far the best win between the two, according to NET. They also have 8 top 25 wins. Houston has 0.

I know you like to be a contrarian, but there’s no logical argument for Houston.
You are the one that posted the question, I am just trying to answer it. Therefore, I am your friend trying to help you and not a contrarian.

I think the answer falls on losses and margins of victory.

No dog in this fight and KU is the only projected 1 seed we played but they are the best team we played all season and that was before the injuries.

AL has a ton of noise around the program right now which is not a positive. Houston is Gonzaga 2023 and while Sampson is a scum bag he can flat out coach.

I would go
KU
HU
AL
UCLA

I’m still not sure what to make of UCLA. They only have 1 top 25 kenpom win I believe.

If Kansas runs the table the rest of the season, they will be the number one seed. Houston has earned a 1 seed. Today, I think the other 2 are up for grabs. If UCLA wins out they sneek into the West.

Edit: thought Auburn beat Bama tonight. Turned the game off too soon. Bama gets a one seed as well.
If UCLA and Purdue both win out it will be interesting to see what the committee does. Purdue will have more Q1 wins but they will have one Q2 loss.

I’m still not sure what to make of UCLA. They only have 1 top 25 kenpom win I believe.
Wow, I didn't realize this. You're mostly right. The only wins in the Kenpom top 25 that UCLA has are vs:

#20 Maryland
#22 Kentucky

The next closest is vs #35 USC.

Reactions: speedfrk
Wow, I didn't realize this. You're mostly right. The only wins in the Kenpom top 25 that UCLA has are vs:

#20 Maryland
#22 Kentucky

The next closest is vs #35 USC.

It’s just hard to know what some of these teams like a Houston or UCLA are with the schedules.

On the other hand kansas has played a brutal schedule but they also have 5 losses, with 3 of them being large (though not hey also beat 2 of those teams in a rematch).

It’s a very interesting discussion

It’s just hard to know what some of these teams like a Houston or UCLA are with the schedules.

On the other hand kansas has played a brutal schedule but they also have 5 losses, with 3 of them being large (though not hey also beat 2 of those teams in a rematch).

It’s a very interesting discussion
UCLA already lost to Arizona on the road, but they face them at home for the next game, plus on a neutral court in Vegas if the bracket works out. We should know more about the Bruins in the next week or so.

Reactions: speedfrk
ADVERTISEMENT