ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Houston considered the overall 1?

ExitFlagger

May 2, 2015
Team
Kansas
4 quad 1 wins. KU has 15, Alabama/Purdue 9. The committee is obviously supposed to take schedule strength into account, but if they are....how do you justify giving Houston the overall 1 (as of now)?

Has anything like that ever happened?

4 quad 1 wins. KU has 15, Alabama/Purdue 9. The committee is obviously supposed to take schedule strength into account, but if they are....how do you justify giving Houston the overall 1 (as of now)?

Don’t most projections have Alabama has 1 overall seed right now?

Maybe I am wrong but I feel like Gonzaga has gotten that honor a few times. I know they go pretty heavy with their OOC schedule most years but playing Santa Anna St and Idaho for 10 straight weeks shouldn't be enough to keep you elevated to that status. We know Houston can play but they havn't exactly been tested too much in conference either.

Don’t most projections have Alabama has 1 overall seed right now?

The committee has them as the overall 1 right now, which is obviously the most important, but most projections I've seen have Houston.

KU has more quad 1 wins than Alabama and Houston combined, with no bad losses. That said, I don't really care about the top seed. I just want the KC region, which will be Houston's if they're given the overall 1.

Reactions: AuHoosier420
Maybe I am wrong but I feel like Gonzaga has gotten that honor a few times. I know they go pretty heavy with their OOC schedule most years but playing Santa Anna St and Idaho for 10 straight weeks shouldn't be enough to keep you elevated to that status. We know Houston can play but they havn't exactly been tested too much in conference either.

Gonzaga always loads up on tough games in the non-con though, and they win a lot of them. They also usually have a couple tourney teams in their league. But yeah, they've probably been overseeded at least a few times.

Reactions: speedfrk
The committee has them as the overall 1 right now, which is obviously the most important, but most projections I've seen have Houston.

KU has more quad 1 wins than Alabama and Houston combined, with no bad losses. That said, I don't really care about the top seed. I just want the KC region, which will be Houston's if they're given the overall 1.
I think Kansas probably deserves it

Reactions: ExitFlagger
This tournament is wide open.

giphy.gif

Joey brackets said last night on svp that if Kansas wins out they will get the overall number 1. Kansas is the only lock for a number 1 right now as they have so many quad one wins and no bad losses (bad loss…not blow out loss. We have a couple of those). Houston has a quad three loss on their resume. And nothing in the aac tourney helps them. They could fall to the two line if they don’t win out.

Gonzaga always loads up on tough games in the non-con though, and they win a lot of them. They also usually have a couple tourney teams in their league. But yeah, they've probably been overseeded at least a few times.

This. Gonzaga always plays a brutal non con.

Houston has 10 quad 4 wins. That’s pathetic. They haven’t played anyone worth a damn since mid December.

Good team but behind Bama and Kansas due to that schedule.

I could not care less what they are seeded, I just want IU to be in their bracket.

Pretty simple, they just haven’t lost, there's nobody in that league that can expose them, which is what happens with Gonzaga a lot.

The metrics showed Gonzaga was by far the best team last year, but in reality, the metrics can't properly judge things like road environments and opponents strength. The road environments in mid major conferences are nothing like what you see in power 5 arenas. It's much harder to win those road games.

If Kansas runs the table the rest of the season, they will be the number one seed. Houston has earned a 1 seed. Today, I think the other 2 are up for grabs. If UCLA wins out they sneek into the West.

Edit: thought Auburn beat Bama tonight. Turned the game off too soon. Bama gets a one seed as well.

If Kansas runs the table the rest of the season, they will be the number one seed. Houston has earned a 1 seed. Today, I think the other 2 are up for grabs. If UCLA wins out they sneek into the West.

Edit: thought Auburn beat Bama tonight. Turned the game off too soon. Bama gets a one seed as well.
Let the fun begin! I love March Madness!

• Love
Reactions: lurkeraspect84

I suppose the committee takes ass kickings into account and Houston has less than half as many as Kansas.
But, that is just a guess.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
I suppose the committee takes ass kickings into account and Houston has less than half as many as Kansas.
But, that is just a guess.

So they’ve stopped caring about who you play and beat? Interesting.

If you play a soft schedule you won't get beat. That matters
Their schedule would rate around 100. They only lost 2 games and that is good, but how they beat their opponents matters too.

Y'all have lost 5 with a tough schedule. One has to look and the wins/losses and margins too.

Of course you know, I'm a fan of KU and Self. But, just trying to keep it real.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Getting beat matters.

They would have to be. You can't claim that schedule/wins matter and then ignore the fact that one team has FOUR TIMES as many Quad 1 wins.

Are they also taking into account that Houston lost to the #124 NET team at home, while KU hasn't lost to anyone outside the top 20?

They would have to be. You can't claim that schedule/wins matter and then ignore the fact that one team has FOUR TIMES as many Quad 1 wins.

Are they also taking into account that Houston lost to the #124 NET team at home, while KU hasn't lost to anyone outside the top 20?
You put too much stock in Quad 1. There is a vast difference between the lowest and the highest quad 1 teams. Beating or losing to a top 5 team is way bigger than beating or losing to the 74th best team. Just sayin.

You put too much stock in Quad 1. There is a vast difference between the lowest and the highest quad 1 teams. Beating or losing to a top 5 team is way bigger than beating or losing to the 74th best team. Just sayin.

I put too much stock in it according to whom? What do they value more than quad 1 wins?

I’m also not sure how this helps Houston. KU has by far the best win between the two, according to NET. They also have 8 top 25 wins. Houston has 0.

I know you like to be a contrarian, but there’s no logical argument for Houston.

If you play a soft schedule you won't get beat. That matters
Not neccessarily, the fact is if you don't bring it on a given night you can lose to an inferior team just like Houston lost to Temple.

KU is racking up Quad 1 wins just because everyone in the Big 12 is rated high in the NET but I think their record would be similar if they played in the ACC too .

Houston's metrics are all better than KU's which matters. They also have 3 less losses.

Not neccessarily, the fact is if you don't bring it on a given night you can lose to an inferior team just like Houston lost to Temple.

KU is racking up Quad 1 wins just because everyone in the Big 12 is rated high in the NET but I think their record would be similar if they played in the ACC too .

Houston's metrics are all better than KU's which matters. They also have 3 less losses.
Stupid. KU beats Bama at allen and wouldn't lost to temple. KU would be undefeated with Houstons schedule

I put too much stock in it according to whom? What do they value more than quad 1 wins?

I’m also not sure how this helps Houston. KU has by far the best win between the two, according to NET. They also have 8 top 25 wins. Houston has 0.

I know you like to be a contrarian, but there’s no logical argument for Houston.
Huh? Houston is better than KU according to all the metrics and those take into account strength of schedule.

Maybe KU should start blowing out teams at Phog Allen instead of barely holding on to win vs WVU and Texas Tech at home.

Kansas has beaten

Duke
Kentucky
Texas
Mizzou
Wisconsin
NC State
Indiana
Ok state twice
Kstate
Baylor
TCU
WVU twice
Texas tech twice

Houston has beaten
memphis
st marys
oregon
Virginia

Della you're not stupid

Stupid. KU beats Bama at allen and wouldn't lost to temple. KU would be undefeated with Houstons schedule
I would put a lot of money that you wouldn't be undefeated with Houston's schedule. Its very tough to go undefeated period because you're going to have off nights or face an opponent who has a freakishly good shooting night.

KU would be favored by 2 or 3 at most vs Bama at the Phog so basically a 60/40 game in your favor so no guarantee that you'd win.

Houston also beat UVA @ UVA and St. Mary's on a neutral court. Again KU would be at most 2-3 point favorites vs those teams.

You basically are guaranteeing you'd hit a 3 team money line parlay of KU beating Bama @ home, UVA on the road and St. Mary's on a neutral court.

This isn't even accounting for a random slip up to an AAC team like ECU or Wichita St.

I would put a lot of money that you wouldn't be undefeated with Houston's schedule. Its very tough to go undefeated period because you're going to have off nights or face an opponent who has a freakishly good shooting night.

KU would be favored by 2 or 3 at most vs Bama at the Phog so basically a 60/40 game in your favor so no guarantee that you'd win.

Houston also beat UVA @ UVA and St. Mary's on a neutral court. Again KU would be at most 2-3 point favorites vs those teams.

You basically are guaranteeing you'd hit a 3 team money line parlay of KU beating Bama @ home, UVA on the road and St. Mary's on a neutral court.

This isn't even accounting for a random slip up to an AAC team like ECU or Wichita St.
Ok 1 loss. Houston has 15 quad 3-4 wins , stop talking bs

Huh? Houston is better than KU according to all the metrics and those take into account strength of schedule.

Maybe KU should start blowing out teams at Phog Allen instead of barely holding on to win vs WVU and Texas Tech at home.

"Take into account strength of schedule." Sure. Do they properly account for it? How can an algorithm even do that? It's silly to think that a computer can adequately compare performances vs teams of vastly different quality.

Half of KU's wins have been by double digits. When literally every team in your league is top 50ish, you're not going to win a blowout every night. Meanwhile, Houston's league is full of sub top 100 teams. And they lost to one of them. Who has Houston blown out that is comparable to WV?

Last edited:
Ok 1 loss. Houston has 15 quad 3-4 wins , stop talking bs
But would Houston have done worse than KU if they played the same schedule as the Jayhawks?

Keep in mind that Houston has made the Final 4 and the Elite 8 the last three years knocking off a bunch of elite power conference teams along the way.

We shouldn't disrespect them at this point. I actually this is the best Houston team of the last 3 years.

But would Houston have done worse than KU if they played the same schedule as the Jayhawks?

Keep in mind that Houston has made the Final 4 and the Elite 8 the last three years knocking off a bunch of elite power conference teams along the way.

We shouldn't disrespect them at this point. I actually this is the best Houston team of the last 3 years.

Houston may very well be the better team, but this is about resume. Theirs isn't close.

I wouldn't bet on KU being undefeated with Houston's schedule, but it's very possible.

Considering that Houston lost at home vs the NET #124 team, while KU's worst loss is to NET #20 (which is a team that would probably be top 10 if not for injuries), I'd say it's very unlikely that Houston would match KU's record vs KU's schedule.

Agreed. I think this Houston team is better than 2021 or 2022. They have all the pieces to win a national title. Their schedule has been a little light, however. Best stat for them is they are 12-0 in games on the road or a neutral court.

If I were responsible for assigning the overall #1 seed, I'd probably defer to Kansas, as their resume is just bonkers. If they win out, they'd have 19 Q1 wins. Insane... But if I'm picking a team to win it all, I'm more inclined to say Houston.

Kansas has beaten

Duke
Kentucky
Texas
Mizzou
Wisconsin
NC State
Indiana
Ok state twice
Kstate
Baylor
TCU
WVU twice
Texas tech twice

Houston has beaten
memphis
st marys
oregon
Virginia

Della you're not stupid
Yeah, I not. Now post the losses for each team.

Their schedule would rate around 100. They only lost 2 games and that is good, but how they beat their opponents matters too.

Y'all have lost 5 with a tough schedule. One has to look and the wins/losses and margins too.

Of course you know, I'm a fan of KU and Self. But, just trying to keep it real.

All fair points for sure. I see both sides.

Houston has 10 quad 4 wins. That’s bad. Hard to lose when you’re beating cupcakes.

Houston also has a quad 3 loss.
I think part of the issue is that Kansas could end up with 18 quad 1 wins which would be a crazy number that would have to be rewarded.

Kansas losses TCU, Tennessee, baylor , kstate, iowa state. All 4 seeds or higher.

You know who didn't play these mfing teams. Houston

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
We have a possibility of playing 4 more games this season until March madness. So much can happen in that time frame. I'm just happy we are in this position and hopefully finish out strong. The rest will take care of itself.

We have a possibility of playing 4 more games this season until March madness. So much can happen in that time frame. I'm just happy we are in this position and hopefully finish out strong. The rest will take care of itself.
I think if KU beats UT @ UT and doesn't lose before the Finals of the Big 12 tourney they should be the overall #1 Seed.

But I think UT will knock off KU on Saturday and ya"ll won't make it to the Finals of the Big 12 tourney since its such a gauntlet.

To say the team that has more quad 1 wins than any other team in history shouldn't get to play their regional closest to them is the dumbest sports take imaginable.

ADVERTISEMENT