ADVERTISEMENT

Which coach’s legacy changes the most...

I feel like Izzo abd Cal are better coaches than Self
That's a tough one. Self has two Championship games, won one under his best and yeah, sure he's inflated his HOF numbers by beating up on a conference like the Big 12, but The guy is a winner. KU seems to take pride in their coaches and if anyone knows coaches...

I feel like Izzo abd Cal are better coaches than Self
Maybe. If people were to do a top 10 list I feel like those 3 coaches should all be in order, or be in the same tier atleast. Could probably throw Boeheim into that tier as well. Self is probably on the low side of that though. If any of them won another title I think you’d have to put that coach ahead of the other guys.

Maybe. If people were to do a top 10 list I feel like those 3 coaches should all be in order, or be in the same tier atleast. Could probably throw Boeheim into that tier as well. Self is probably on the low side of that though. If any of them won another title I think you’d have to put that coach ahead of the other guys.

They are that close. I agree.

Reactions: schoonerwest

I just feel like Self has underachieved moreso than the other 2.

Now that Roy has proven he can win without the best talent, it's not so worrisome.
Im not so sure the “best talent” is the best talent anymore. 5*s seem a little diluted these days.

Cal continues to get 5*s every year, but they seem to skip years in terms of talent level. Wall and Cousins were awesome, the following year not as much. A.D. & co. were great, following year the NIT. Then Towns’ group almost went undefeated, with the following season losing in the EE. I’d like for us to have Roy’s ability to keep the great teams around, and skip the off years.

with a title this year?
K puts Wooden in the rear view mirror for good? Roy creeps closer to K status? Cal and Self establish themselves as all-timers? Who makes the biggest leap with another one? Or maybe a first-timer like Bennett wins and begins to establish himself?
Barnes...

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Good stuff. I was just thinking how big it would be for Roy, and was thinking it would mean more to him than most. I agree that the guys who haven't won one (Bennett, Beilen, Barnes, etc) would probably be the most impactful. Then, it might actually be Cal and Self. Number two puts you in another class. Roy would have 4 in the past 20 seasons, though. Not many can match that at any point in their career. Hell, how many even have more than 3 titles?

Good stuff. I was just thinking how big it would be for Roy, and was thinking it would mean more to him than most. I agree that the guys who haven't won one (Bennett, Beilen, Barnes, etc) would probably be the most impactful. Then, it might actually be Cal and Self. Number two puts you in another class. Roy would have 4 in the past 20 seasons, though. Not many can match that at any point in their career. Hell, how many even have more than 3 titles?

It might not mean MORE for Roy than someone like Bennett that doesn’t have one, but it would still be huuuge. Not that there is much anymore, but it would eliminate any debate about his greatness and would make him a no doubt top 5 coach of all time. Any lingering narrative of him “just rolling the balls out” or only being able to win with the best talent would be squashed for good.

Reactions: Sevro
It might not mean MORE for Roy than someone like Bennett that doesn’t have one, but it would still be huuuge. Not that there is much anymore, but it would eliminate any debate about his greatness and would make him a no doubt top 5 coach of all time. Any lingering narrative of him “just rolling the balls out” or only being able to win with the best talent would be squashed for good.

How many coaches wouldn't it be huuuge for?

I think you could argue Roy is already top 5 all time. He’s at the very least in the conversation.

K
Wooden
Rupp
Dean

He’s probably just behind those guys. A title would firmly put him at #3, IMO.

Talking strictly on court performance, I think you have to give Roy the nod over Dean. Take into account all Dean did outside of basketball, and he prob still has the lead. Idk.

Talking strictly on court performance, I think you have to give Roy the nod over Dean. Take into account all Dean did outside of basketball, and he prob still has the lead. Idk.

Roy isn't the innovator that Dean was, and not sure he measures up on X's and O's, but he's clearly right there as far as program building and talent development. Roy's teams almost always improve from November to March, and here lately he's done a terrific job of turning guys that weren't elite recruits into excellent college players.

It’s tough to do all time rankings. Like if we use things like influence on the game/importance to the sport then Phog Allen is easily in the top 3 but I don’t think what he achieved should put him that high at all. I think it’s best to just use accomplishments as a head coach when doing any sort of order. We can argue about what coaches had more or less relevance to the game all day but you can’t really argue against the numbers.

Reactions: 829305
Still say Roy- win, he will have 4 titles, 7 finals appearances, cements him #3 overall behind Wooden and K...

Reactions: 829305
When’s the last time the media brought up Kentucky’s NIT season?
People are crazy if they're acting like its even a discussion! What you all did last year was historically bad and something many thought would never happen. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened much the past 25 years, but even as a kid, I've always been terrified of that 1sr game against a 16 seed.

About the NIT...whenever IU has been in it i honestly didn't care either way if they won or lost. Personally, I wish they would decide to never play in it again. The season was probably embarrassing enough...why extend it another few weeks?

Roy isn't the innovator that Dean was, and not sure he measures up on X's and O's, but he's clearly right there as far as program building and talent development. Roy's teams almost always improve from November to March, and here lately he's done a terrific job of turning guys that weren't elite recruits into excellent college players.

It’s tough to do all time rankings. Like if we use things like influence on the game/importance to the sport then Phog Allen is easily in the top 3 but I don’t think what he achieved should put him that high at all. I think it’s best to just use accomplishments as a head coach when doing any sort of order. We can argue about what coaches had more or less relevance to the game all day but you can’t really argue against the numbers.

Consider the time and the person as well. Dean came along when basketball was not big business. He always thought the growth of the person was greater than the growth of the player. Of course he wanted to win, but he was always more about the process than the result. Roy is somewhat more competitive, and while he does value the journey, he also understands this is big business.

ADVERTISEMENT