ADVERTISEMENT

When did Big 10 basketball catch AIDS?

Srsly, from the time I branched out, the B1G has been boring af.

A collective of teams who, for many seasons, BANKED on playing in the pudddddd of college basketball and counting on conference play to make themselves look "good" .. exposed.

Couldn't happen to a better bunch

... in my humblest of opinio🤣🤣🤣⚰️

Last edited:
NOV19-All-Chuckles.gif

Big Ten seems to do better when there are a few good teams and less parity. I remember people saying the league was down in 2005, but we got 3 teams in the Elite Eight, half of the Final Four and a team in the championship game. Compare that to 2021, where there looked to be a lot of good teams (almost an unbelievable number), and then a lot of them looked outmatched and tired in March.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Big Ten seems to do better when there are a few good teams and less parity. I remember people saying the league was down in 2005, but we got 3 teams in the Elite Eight, half of the Final Four and a team in the championship game. Compare that to 2021, where there looked to be a lot of good teams (almost an unbelievable number), and then a lot of them looked outmatched and tired in March.

Fatigue is a symptom of AIDS...

Srsly, from the time I branched out, the B1G has been boring af.

A collective of teams who, for many seasons, BANKED on playing in the pudddddd of college basketball and counting on conference play to make themselves look "good" .. exposed.

Couldn't happen to a better bunch

... in my humblest of opinio🤣🤣🤣⚰️
We may suck when it comes to Nattys but do you see any fan base that rivals the passion? Check out the sticky threads - not seeing any fan base with near the passion. A few inbred blue bloods in the “normal” threads. Big fans are a whole other level of ****ed up. Y’all are big time jelly.

If I was aching bigly, yearly, for a fulfilling college basketball experience, I'd also prob get into 200 page threads where more than half the posts consist of low-grade smacktalk as well.

Thankfully, I cheer for the Big XII.

Definitely blame Rutgers for giving you aids.
It is actually Nebraska, I think. In 2002, because the man was drinking and doing a lot of cocaine (including homemade aluminum foil crack when getting to the end of a stash and not being able to find a new bag quickly enough), Conor Oberst decided it would be a good idea to do a charity Christmas album for AIDS in Nebraska. The man is known for WRITING songs and if you can tolerate the bad singing and playing, the songs that he writes (that usually only he allows himself to perform) are quite good. So for Nebraska AIDS charity (he is from Omaha, Nebraska and attended NU for a semester) he decided to do a cover album of Christmas songs. You know those songs you love from like Elvis Presley and Nat King Cole? How about instead, for AIDS charity, you listen to Conor Oberst try to sing them? How well do you think that charity record did?? And since Nebraska is a red state, if there's no charity, there's no help for AIDS. So Nebraska starts swimming with AIDS in the 2000s and they join the B1G in like 2011 or some bullshit like that. If Conor had donated just a portion of I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, Nebraska would have had AIDS under control before they got their B1G invite.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
If I was aching bigly, yearly, for a fulfilling college basketball experience, I'd also prob get into 200 page threads where more than half the posts consist of low-grade smacktalk as well.

Thankfully, I cheer for the Big XII.
Fair point - otoh the alternative is 200 pages of separate posts discussing the definition of blue blood or other deep subjects.

Fair point - otoh the alternative is 200 pages of separate posts discussing the definition of blue blood or other deep subjects.
Fans of mediocre programs do tend to object to such subjects.

Hence my ~10 month absence(s)....

Love you dudes, but all I really want is to talk about
Rosters
Starting lineups
Transfers
Recruits
Better games on the schedule

.. and to shit-talk a little with those whose own coaches don't gaf about giving the(ir) fans a better product.

Wouldn't quit this place despite the rarity of allllll that .. and that prob says more about me. 🤣😅😭🤣

Fans of mediocre programs do tend to object to such subjects.
You shouldn’t either, it’s so obvious who the “Blue Bloods” are, and no one is interested in kissing the rings of FANS of Blue Bloods as if they won the titles rather than it being chance they were born in that state, went to that school or (worst of all) are bandwagon trash. ;)

You shouldn’t either, it’s so obvious who the “Blue Bloods” are, and no one is interested in kissing the rings of FANS of Blue Bloods as if they won the titles rather than it being chance they were born in that state, went to that school or (worst of all) are bandwagon trash. ;)

Well, it’s not too obvious if people continually debate whether to include Indiana, UCLA, and now Villanova.

Personally, I don’t care to read endless topics about bluebloods. But obviously certain programs are going to be discussed a lot, because their fans drive the sport and dominate message boards. What would ratings look like without Duke/UNC/KU/UK fans? Other fanbases generally only have a few posters here, and most come and go based on the team’s success.

It’s hard to say how many blueblood fans are bandwagoners, because they generally don’t have prolonged down periods. But it’s easy to spot the bandwagoners from other fanbases.

I feel like it’s not as bad as people think. I mean we are 0/4 in the blue blood Dept, which hurts, and haters love bringing up only one natty in the last 25 years (maybe 1.5 since Maryland joined the money league)

But at the same time, 21 final fours over that time and 6 different teams made the title game (7 if Maryland included). That’s pretty solid imo

I feel like it’s not as bad as people think. I mean we are 0/4 in the blue blood Dept, which hurts, and haters love bringing up only one natty in the last 25 years (maybe 1.5 since Maryland joined the money league)

But at the same time, 21 final fours over that time and 6 different teams made the title game (7 if Maryland included). That’s pretty solid imo
Yeah, other than 2020-21 as a total isolation of choking early (no, the Big Ten did not REALLY “choke” in 2021-22, given its seeds), the only real knock on the Big Ten over the last 20+ years is losing in the National Championship game. It’s objectively produced many good basketball teams and has had far more programs consistently be good than a lot of other conferences.

It’s interesting how the Big Ten’s flaws are literally just magnified times a billion in the Pac-12, yet no one obsesses over this. I’ve heard this is because the Pac-12 “isn’t hyped” and “isn’t overrated,” but non-Big Ten fans are creating that strawman at this point … 90% of Big Ten fans on this board shit on our conference daily now a days.

Reactions: BoilerExpress
Yeah, other than 2020-21 as a total isolation of choking early (no, the Big Ten did not REALLY “choke” in 2021-22, given its seeds), the only real knock on the Big Ten over the last 20+ years is losing in the National Championship game. It’s objectively produced many good basketball teams and has had far more programs consistently be good than a lot of other conferences.

It’s interesting how the Big Ten’s flaws are literally just magnified times a billion in the Pac-12, yet no one obsesses over this. I’ve heard this is because the Pac-12 “isn’t hyped” and “isn’t overrated,” but non-Big Ten fans are creating that strawman at this point … 90% of Big Ten fans on this board shit on our conference daily now a days.
Big 10 fans catch crap because there's a loud portion who like to pretend that it's on another level than leagues that are as good or better. And no matter what they do in non-con, or in the previous NCAA tourney, the same people will fire up the hype machine every time they start beating each other up in conference play.

Personally, I don't consider it a huge accomplishment for one of the 8 or 9 tourney teams to squirt through to the final four now and then. Statistically, it's pretty unlikely for that to not happen. But they have had a pretty solid total.

It's a competitive league, and a solid league historically. But if they want universal praise, the league needs to start dominating the non-con and tourney.

Reactions: englandnu
Big 10 fans catch crap because there's a loud portion who like to pretend that it's on another level than leagues that are as good or better. And no matter what they do in non-con, or in the previous NCAA tourney, the same people will fire up the hype machine every time they start beating each other up in conference play.

Personally, I don't consider it a huge accomplishment for one of the 8 or 9 tourney teams to squirt through to the final four now and then. Statistically, it's pretty unlikely for that to not happen. But they have had a pretty solid total.

It's a competitive league, and a solid league historically. But if they want universal praise, the league needs to start dominating the non-con and tourney.

Loud and proud baby!!

Reactions: ExitFlagger
ADVERTISEMENT