ADVERTISEMENT

What's your opinion on refs using monitors?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
All across sports we want correct calls but complain about the time it takes. Dick Vitale went on an epic rant yesterday during a prolonged viewing session.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Too much of a good thing. Especially the hard plays. I guess there could be a lot of T's if every play was micro-examined.

Regarding T's, I don't think you should be allowed to slow a play down to call a technical or flangrant or personal foul. If you're going to review it for one of those, it should be at full speed.

Regarding T's, I don't think you should be allowed to slow a play down to call a technical or flangrant or personal foul. If you're going to review it for one of those, it should be at full speed.
That's a good point.

Absolutely everything should be reviewable or challengeable by the coaches, including anything from a travel in basketball to targeting in football. But there should be a limit on how many times a game these reviews can happen. It ruins the game when we get a review every time a ref wants to double check some flagrant foul that might have happened ten minutes ago.

Reactions: Tigerocker
Absolutely everything should be reviewable or challengeable by the coaches, including anything from a travel in basketball to targeting in football. But there should be a limit on how many times a game these reviews can happen. It ruins the game when we get a review every time a ref wants to double check some flagrant foul that might have happened ten minutes ago.
It really slows the game down. They need a faster system to replay it and have the technology available to do so.

The first half of the Kentucky/Auburn game was unwatchable because of whistles and reviews. Agree with people that say limit it and/or have a remote staff doing the reviews.

It’s necessary, but some men in stripes enjoy the added camera time too much.

There’s just some dudes you know if they are calling the game, you’re getting multiple reviews.

They need to use AI image recognition. It can be trained to spot fouls that would reduce monitor time by a lot in most cases. It would take less than a second to produce its analysis.

**** you that's how the Terminator happened.

If the refs make a horrible call, out comes the Terminator. 1 or 2 less bad officials. We're so far away from that kind of AI lol..... if the spooky action from a distance holds true, quantum computers. quantum internet are not far away which will permit more complex AI. That opens up many cans of worms as well as benefits.

Then why have instant replay?

You cannot use instant replay to call a personal foul.

Only type of technical you can use replay for is for a contact dead ball technical foul.

Again though---Why use instant replay if you are just gonna watch it at game speed?

Doesn't really bother me tbh. People are always in too big of a hurry. Relax.

Only type of technical you can use replay for is for a contact dead ball technical foul.

Again though---Why use instant replay if you are just gonna watch it at game speed?

Simmer down, this is a discussion about all sports. The personal foul was referring to football.

And you of all people should know that a ref doesn't always have the right angle. Sure, go to the monitor to see who it was out of bounds on. Go slow it down to see who the ball touched last. Go slow it down to see if it was a three or a two.

I just don't think you should slow it down for flagrants or technicals. If you missed what happened, sure, go watch it again. But when you slow it down, and try to judge what happened by a single frame, that's not fair. Decisions aren't made in slow motion, and I don't think we should be judged by them in slow motion.

I feel strongly about this in football, where you can't tell if there was any contact above the shoulders at full sleep, so we slow it down and see that the defender slightly made contact above the shoulders. He didn't have the benefit of running in slow motion to make sure he was 1/4 of an inch lower on his tackle.

Saturday they used the reply to call a flagrant foul on P.J. Washington.

In the SEC they can do any thing that they choose. The first asset for an SEC official is to be dumber than a rock, then comes the training..............

the review is good in some cases but now they are going overboard. it disrupts the flow of the game more than it helps clean things up.

Simmer down, this is a discussion about all sports. The personal foul was referring to football.

And you of all people should know that a ref doesn't always have the right angle. Sure, go to the monitor to see who it was out of bounds on. Go slow it down to see who the ball touched last. Go slow it down to see if it was a three or a two.

I just don't think you should slow it down for flagrants or technicals. If you missed what happened, sure, go watch it again. But when you slow it down, and try to judge what happened by a single frame, that's not fair. Decisions aren't made in slow motion, and I don't think we should be judged by them in slow motion.

I feel strongly about this in football, where you can't tell if there was any contact above the shoulders at full sleep, so we slow it down and see that the defender slightly made contact above the shoulders. He didn't have the benefit of running in slow motion to make sure he was 1/4 of an inch lower on his tackle.
Simmer down? Dude, I just asked a question.

Saturday they used the reply to call a flagrant foul on P.J. Washington.

In the SEC they can do any thing that they choose. The first asset for an SEC official is to be dumber than a rock, then comes the training..............
Going to the monitor was the right thing to do. Calling the F1 was not. It doesn't matter what conference.....ACC, Big 10, SEC, etc, etc....Plays such as that---NCAA mandates going to the monitor. Not optional---But mandated.

Football I couldn't care less about. As for slowing it down, per single frame...I don't think you fully understand how instant replay works. We have different angles that you don't see. Its also a collaboration of replays, with a replay official. What you see on TV, is less than what a replay official, or the officials have. Not always---but most of the time. As an official I may see a foul that I think IS a flagrant. Or vice-versa. If I go look at the monitor at game speed---how am I helping myself get the call right? I mean, I just saw it at game speed. By slowing it down, I can see where the contact occured...How it occurred. THEN, I use game speed video, collaborating the two, to get a better feel. If we don't slow it down, its useless.

Absolutely need it slowed down to see if a contact dead ball technical occurred. You might have 5-6 guys in a scrum. Player A says Player B threw a punch. We don't see it. If I go to the monitor and look at game speed, I may miss it. So again, slowing it down gives me a more accurate feel as to what happended, i.e. Was it a punch...Was it simply a guy pulling his arm away....Tangled up....A push.....No way I can see that at game speed.

Again, what I see and what you see, 95% of the time, isn't the same thing. And you certainly do not see where we run the video side by side----full/slow.

All across sports we want correct calls but complain about the time it takes. Dick Vitale went on an epic rant yesterday during a prolonged viewing session.

How about only on flagrant fouls and the last 2 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT