ADVERTISEMENT

What is the biggest jump into the polls in AP poll history?

33 to... 6th? Beat Louisville and it could be 1st, but that would be more than one week.

I'm pretty sure teams have gone from unranked to 1st before. They were just talking about it on TV but I was doing something else, not really listening. Last time it happened might have been late 80s they said, maybe? Like I said, wasn't really paying attention.

I just saw on ESPN the highest AP ranking from unranked a week prior:
Kansas 89-90 - 4th
UConn 10-11 - 7th
Arizona 01-02 - 8th
Cuse 09-10 - 10th
ND 09-10 10th

Cool, thanks KB. Was this being talked about because of Michigan? Where were you thinking Michigan would be.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Josh Christopher potentially and Isaiah Todd operating surrounded by the shooters um will have next year(brooks, livers, DeJulius, Wagner, nunez, Bajema). Good luck guarding that.
It doesn't matter, Michigan is an experienced team and most of their guys were coached by a future HOFer in Beilein.

We've seen a lot of coaches do well early only to struggle once they got their own players. I'm not even saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying let's wait a bit before we start comparing Howard to Wooden.

Cool, thanks KB. Was this being talked about because of Michigan? Where were you thinking Michigan would be.

I’m not going to lie, I was feeling fairly crummy after yesterday’s game. But you guys going out and showing versus the Zags and mine taking the W against Oregon, I feel a bit better.

Heck of a team you guys have this year. I’d put Michigan at #3 right now, but wouldn’t be surprised if they had you at 4 or 5. Even though I think you should be above Maryland it wouldn’t shock me if the voters didn’t.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It doesn't matter, Michigan is an experienced team and most of their guys were coached by a future HOFer in Beilein.

We've seen a lot of coaches do well early only to struggle once they got their own players. I'm not even saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying let's wait a bit before we start comparing Howard to Wooden.

I get your point but look at Brooks and DeJulius. Nothing against Beilein (because everyone here knows how I feel about him), but that’s two examples of players who are thriving under Howard’s system but struggled with Beilein’s. Howard’s system is more up tempo with more freedom and that has let Brooks and DeJulius come out of their shell. Chalking it up to them being Beilein guys doesn’t give Howard his credit IMO.

you think Juwan is going to have a hard time recruiting?
It isn't all about recruiting, it's about coaching. Most of his players now are veterans that were coached by a future HOFer. They've already learned how to win.

Either way I'm not saying he's going to have trouble doing anything, he could end up being awesome. But he's not even into his first BIG10 season yet, it's too early to tell.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
It isn't all about recruiting, it's about coaching. Most of his players now are veterans that were coached by a future HOFer. They've already learned how to win.

Either way I'm not saying he's going to have trouble doing anything, he could end up being awesome. But he's not even into his first BIG10 season yet, it's too early to tell.

Brooks and Dejulius were useless last year.

True. But they were still being coached by JB...Still a part of the system. Plus, Teske, Livers and Simpson weren't useless. Juwan took over a good situation. And so far, he's taken advantage of that. Michigan has looked a lot better than what I thought. But how much of that is Juwan, vs how much of that is having experienced dudes, IMO, is yet to be seen.

Regardless, Michigan looks extremely good.

True. But they were still being coached by JB...Still a part of the system. Plus, Teske, Livers and Simpson weren't useless. Juwan took over a good situation. And so far, he's taken advantage of that. Michigan has looked a lot better than what I thought. But how much of that is Juwan, vs how much of that is having experienced dudes, IMO, is yet to be seen.

Regardless, Michigan looks extremely good.

Howard gets credit for brooks and Dejulius

Not true, they showed flashes at times.

With a years experience substantial improvement could have been expected.

I agree that Howard’s system and the pro coaching does seem to suit them well. I do thing they would have improved a lot if Beilein was still the coach. He was the master of that.

Not true, they showed flashes at times.

With a years experience substantial improvement could have been expected.

I agree that Howard’s system and the pro coaching does seem to suit them well. I do thing they would have improved a lot if Beilein was still the coach. He was the master of that.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t have improved under Beilein. I’m saying both were bad up to the end of last year, Howard took over in May, and now they ate both good. Howard deserves due credit for that.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t have improved under Beilein. I’m saying both were bad up to the end of last year, Howard took over in May, and now they ate both good. Howard deserves due credit for that.

I’m saying that Howard’s coaching of them is like putting the frosting on a German chocolate cake. The frosting makes the cake what it is. It is still Beilein and the player’s cake.

I’m saying that Howard’s coaching of them is like putting the frosting on a German chocolate cake. The frosting makes the cake what it is. It is still Beilein and the player’s cake.

I don’t really care for the cake analogy. Brooks struggled in each of his first two years at Michigan. He looks much better than he did on March. I’m giving Howard due credit for that breakthrough.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I don’t really care for the cake analogy. Brooks struggled in each of his first two years at Michigan. He looks much better than he did on March. I’m giving Howard due credit for that breakthrough.
players that struggle as FR and SO do better as JR's. for example Jok under Fran avg'd 6 ppg then as a JR avg'd 16 ppg

Uthoff under Fran avg'd 7.6 ppg then as a JR avg'd 12.4 ppg. now if these 2 can improve under Fran year over year, then rein in the superstud coaching of Howard and give Bielien credit for coaching them as well and the players for just getting better as the nature of year over year improvement.

as far as Howard's recruiting he has not forgotten how that Fab 5 group was known as the best team Money could BUY at that time.

now the question who is the bagmen this time around as Howard has his NBA Money to hand out.

Some jackass has Michigan behind UNC and Gonzaga
It’s insane how some of these people actually have the right to vote for the AP Poll. I mean there is no logical reason to have them ahead of UM, unless you were stubborn that you were wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT