ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA to the B1G?

Gonzaga worked a deal with the WCC to earn a higher percentage of the conference revenue so it wasn't evenly distributed among all 10 schools. Not sure on the details of that WCC contract, but I'm wondering if the ACC could entice Clemson and Florida State with similar deals, where they get to keep more of the money that they rightfully brought in.
The issue is once you go down this path it usually means the conference isn’t for long. The big 12 did this with Texas and Oklahoma. See where that landed. The big ten and the SEC don’t pay teams more. Vanderbilt makes same as Alabama. Northwestern same as Ohio st. Etc.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Agreed. I think Miami is a tricky one. The SEC isn’t going to want the big ten getting them and having a school in that recruiting hot bed.

At this point, it seems like the SEC and Big Ten can just handpick whoever they want. So essentially every Pac-12, ACC, and Big-12 school is a free agent. I guess the question is, when do the Power 2 conferences stop expanding? Some schools are going to diminish your return value. Maybe roughly 20 schools for each conference?

I think the Big 12 is actually much, much more secure than the Pac-12 or ACC. Their bluebloods are already taken. With Oklahoma and Texas out of the picture, I don't think the Big Ten/SEC are necessarily salivating over any of the leftovers in the Big 12. So, most Big 12 are aware they're not likely to get an invite, they're most likely staying intact, and they can now recruit other schools that would fit culturally or geographically, like Arizona/ASU/CU/Utah. But, what happens to the Pac-12 and ACC when their top programs are poached? Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Clemson, FSU, and UNC all have obvious value. Miami, Louisville, Virginia, California, and a few others could be intriguing, as well.

The Pac-12 could be days away from crumbling. ACC is certainly vulnerable, too. Guess it mostly depends on how many schools we lose. Hoping to stay intact, but that probably isn't a likely scenario.

At this point, it seems like the SEC and Big Ten can just handpick whoever they want. So essentially every Pac-12, ACC, and Big-12 school is a free agent. I guess the question is, when do the Power 2 conferences stop expanding? Some schools are going to diminish your return value. Maybe roughly 20 schools for each conference?

I think the Big 12 is actually much, much more secure than the Pac-12 or ACC. Their bluebloods are already taken. With Oklahoma and Texas out of the picture, I don't think the Big Ten/SEC are necessarily salivating over any of the leftovers in the Big 12. So, most Big 12 are aware they're not likely to get an invite, they're most likely staying intact, and they can now recruit other schools that would fit culturally or geographically, like Arizona/ASU/CU/Utah. But, what happens to the Pac-12 and ACC when their top programs are poached? Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Clemson, FSU, and UNC all have obvious value. Miami, Louisville, Virginia, California, and a few others could be intriguing, as well.

The Pac-12 could be days away from crumbling. ACC is certainly vulnerable, too. Guess it mostly depends on how many schools we lose. Hoping to stay intact, but that probably isn't a likely scenario.
I still think notre dame holds all the cards to start here

You gotta look out for your best interest. UNC is going to have more options than us, no question. If FSU and Clemson leave the conference, which is likely, then I think UNC absolutely follows suit. And they won't really care about leaving Duke and NC State behind. They know it's a business.

Let’s say SEC takes UNC, Clemson, FSU, and Virginia.

Should Big 12 offer Duke, Miami, Louisville, and Georgia Tech to go along with Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado and get themselves to 20?

Would those schools accept or would Big 12 look at other schools from ACC? B1G going to go after ACC schools like Virginia Tech?

Let’s say SEC takes UNC, Clemson, FSU, and Virginia.

Should Big 12 offer Duke, Miami, Louisville, and Georgia Tech to go along with Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Colorado and get themselves to 20?

Would those schools accept or would Big 12 look at other schools from ACC? B1G going to go after ACC schools like Virginia Tech?

I think the ACC knows perfectly well that they can't sit on their behind. I'm guessing they're actively trying to add a few members themselves. There's already been talk of Cal and Stanford. I don't see any reason why Oregon and Washington couldn't join that discussion, should the Big Ten invite fall through. Probably also go after a few Big 12 schools, perhaps Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia.

A lot of questions will remain unanswered until we hear from Notre Dame. Ultimately, schools can only be loyal to themselves. Everyone knows their fellow conference mates are willing to ditch them for the best available offer. It's going to be a little bit of Wild West out there.

Reactions: duckboy33
I think the ACC knows perfectly well that they can't sit on their behind. I'm guessing they're actively trying to add a few members themselves. There's already been talk of Cal and Stanford. I don't see any reason why Oregon and Washington couldn't join that discussion, should the Big Ten invite fall through. Probably also go after a few Big 12 schools, perhaps Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and West Virginia.

A lot of questions will remain unanswered until we hear from Notre Dame. Ultimately, schools can only be loyal to themselves. Everyone knows their fellow conference mates are willing to ditch them for the best available offer. It's going to be a little bit of Wild West out there.

Carolina to the SEC? And little brother not invited? How fun it would be to leave Duke behind? Bye, Felicia.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
I'm more or less okay with his projections on the Big 12, Big Ten, and SEC. But, the ACC? Wow. The conference payout would be far greater if we just didn't add all of those extra teams. Coastal Carolina, South Florida, FAU, Fresno State? No thanks.
Yeah those schools bring nothing and just lower your payout. Duke would be better off just dropping football and go to the big east for basketball if that was the case

Cal, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington to the ACC.

All Coasts Conference

That account doesn't have a posting history, only reactions, so he hasn't really done anything to warrant a blacklist/ban (at least not under that handle). I've deleted plenty with vulgar handles but iowa_potato doesn't really warrant that either. I'm only supposed to interject for things that happen on this board, specifically. You'll have to consult the mods on the football board for this one.

IMO, it's kinda genius trolling, lol.

His profile pic definitely passes the credibility-eye-test. No question.

4bc3c8d2c39c2029949f3775dee79427_400x400.jpeg
That trash can looks like it's been turned into a cannon.

Why exactly is that?
How are you going to have any kind of OCC schedule with so many teams in one conference? How are you going to play everyone in conference to see who is the real champ? Then, as KUhawks34 said, you're going to turn a lot of people away from sports through all this. I always enjoyed all of the different conferences and trying to figure how which one is stronger. With 2 maybe 3 super conferences, that will still be there, but won't be the same IMO.

I'm sure there's more, but my brain isn't working at 5 am right now lol.

How are you going to have any kind of OCC schedule with so many teams in one conference? How are you going to play everyone in conference to see who is the real champ? Then, as KUhawks34 said, you're going to turn a lot of people away from sports through all this. I always enjoyed all of the different conferences and trying to figure how which one is stronger. With 2 maybe 3 super conferences, that will still be there, but won't be the same IMO.

I'm sure there's more, but my brain isn't working at 5 am right now lol.
Will certainly be a bit of a change but there will be positives to come out of it. College conferences has been evolving since their creation. Will be interesting to see where it goes but it's still basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT