ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Bracketology 2020-2021

Winning your conference is cool. I guess you couldn’t relate though, Kansas has made the Big 12 their bitch this century
They're just on a different level than other teams in the Big 12. Sure someone will have a great year, but constantly it's KU and everyone else.

Reactions: MGC_07
Those two years he had Florida going
Florida was a totally different team in March.

The second round matchup against Texas Tech was one of the better basketball games I saw in that tournament.

He did go to an Elite 8.
Has went as far as Florida State recently

He did. Caught a nice break with UVA having their best player hurt, but he did take some of the guys he inherited from Billy D to the elite 8. Those guys learned how to win under Billy.

Since then it seems like White has no idea what he wants to run. Just no identity to the teams down in Gainesville. Tons of talent. 5 stars all over the court. But somehow the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

I’ll give you one thing though, Mike White has been better than Shaka.

They're just on a different level than other teams in the Big 12. Sure someone will have a great year, but constantly it's KU and everyone else.
Exactly. What’s the second best basketball program in the Big 12? Maybe Texas Tech, but their a recently good program. Is it WVU?

You aren’t going to have a good time watching CBB if you only care about March. The regular season and winning your conference means something to me and most fans. It’s not like the NBA.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
He did. Caught a nice break with UVA having their best player hurt, but he did take some of the guys he inherited from Billy D to the elite 8. Those guys learned how to win under Billy.

Since then it seems like White has no idea what he wants to run. Just no identity to the teams down in Gainesville. Tons of talent. 5 stars all over the court. But somehow the whole is less than the sum of the parts.

Most coaches have an idenity in coaching philosophies.I have no idea what White's is. maybe that says more about me.

You are being a homer because Florida State won a bunch of regular season games.

So you are trying to place value on this. When there really isn't any.

Would you have been happy if Florida State would have been knocked out the second round.

Most coaches have an idenity in coaching philosophies.I have no idea what White's is. maybe that says more about me.

Nah. No one does. I watched his La Tech teams play twice live and spoke with him a few times back then. Now those teams had an identity. When he went to UF I was honestly pretty nervous.

But something has happened down at UF. Just no identity at all. It’s different year to year, hell its different game to game.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Exactly. What’s the second best basketball program in the Big 12? Maybe Texas Tech, but their a recently good program. Is it WVU?

You aren’t going to have a good time watching CBB if you only care about March. The regular season and winning your conference means something to me and most fans. It’s not like the NBA.

So you are looking for wins in the regular season.

Ultimately winning a bunch of games doesn't matter unless your team is improving.
Reason why you sometimes see coaches trip their teams up on purpose

Every team and every coach is different.
You have some teams that play at a high level in some games and in other games they don't

Ultimately all teams go into a NCAA Tournament game playing at a high level.

Why it makes for great basketball.

You are being a homer because Florida State won a bunch of regular season games.

So you are trying to place value on this. When there really isn't any.

Would you have been happy if Florida State would have been knocked out the second round.

I’m not being a homer at all. Not even talking about FSU. You’ve been the one bringing up Hamilton and FSU.

If any power team wins 26+ games a year for a decade, they will have some NCAAT runs. It’s inevitable. The Dance is a crap shoot. Look at Kansas vs Northern Iowa, Duke vs Mercer, UVA vs UMBC. But if you make it consistently enough as a strong seed, you’ll have success.

As for FSU, since you keep asking, of course I’d prefer a deep run than a second round loss. That’s a waste of time question. But would I still be proud of the season where we won the ACC regular season? Yes.

So you are looking for wins in the regular season.

Ultimately winning a bunch of games doesn't matter unless your team is improving.
Reason why you sometimes see coaches trip their teams up on purpose

Every team and every coach is different.
You have some teams that play at a high level in some games and in other games they don't

Ultimately all teams go into a NCAA Tournament game playing at a high level.

Why it makes for great basketball.

^^^^And none of this has jack squat to do with Shaka Smart. That dude clearly can’t prepare Texas to win an NCAA tourney game.

I’m not being a homer at all. Not even talking about FSU. You’ve been the one bringing up Hamilton and FSU.

If any power team wins 26+ games a year for a decade, they will have some NCAAT runs. It’s inevitable. The Dance is a crap shoot. Look at Kansas vs Northern Iowa, Duke vs Mercer, UVA vs UMBC. But if you make it consistently enough as a strong seed, you’ll have success.

As for FSU, since you keep asking, of course I’d prefer a deep run than a second round loss. That’s a waste of time question. But would I still be proud of the season where we won the ACC regular season? Yes.

Not a crap shoot really...

Because either you have the players who have had adversity during the season or not.

Sometimes getting blown out is the best thing for a basketball team.

I don't think the issue has been with preparation.
But do you and make judgements on coaches.

Even if Florida State misses the NCAA Tournament next year I am not one to say Leonard Hamilton is a bad coach.

Neither would I. He’s a 3 time ACC CoY and 2 time Big East CoY. He’s won a Big East title, an ACC regular season title, and an ACC Championship. He’s the winningest coach at two different schools.

That’s like saying I wouldn’t call Chris Mack or Bob Huggins a bad coach if they missed the Dance next year.

Games in January and February don't mean anything.
If this upsets you that is your own problem.

People overvalue regular season basketball.
I have seen numerous teams lose to an opponent 2 times in the regular season but beat them in March.

Goes to show how important those regular season games are.

It is because of this

Teams have different mentalities in different games.
Just matters when you play them.

But in the NCAA Tournament all teams have the same mentality
It is the great equalizer.
This is such a load of BS.
First of all, I’ve seen way more teams beat a team
In the regular season and then beat them again in the postseason than the other way around.
Secondly, the NCAA ranks the teams based on how they performed in the regular season, and guess what? Higher seeds are more likely to make the Final 4.
Lastly, Texas is 0-3 in the tournament with Smart as a coach. So WTF are you even talking about????

Reactions: afish111
This is such a load of BS.
First of all, I’ve seen way more teams beat a team
In the regular season and then beat them again in the postseason than the other way around.
Secondly, the NCAA ranks the teams based on how they performed in the regular season, and guess what? Higher seeds are more likely to make the Final 4.
Lastly, Texas is 0-3 in the tournament with Smart as a coach. So WTF are you even talking about????

Cool story.
You play have to play them eventually. Doesn't matter if you play them in the second round or Final 4.
Going to have to go through them.

Cool story.
You play have to play them eventually. Doesn't matter if you play them in the second round or Final 4.
Going to have to go through them.
200w.gif

Reactions: GE Nole
On him to evolve as a coach.

The guy is very intelligent and has a basketball IQ that is unbelievable.
Anyone in the game that has been around him is impressed.

The comment of the AD was that Texas is Goliath and not David.
It was directed towards Shaka mainly.

But like I said the guy is heavily regarded by a lot of people in the game.
It is the direction he goes. Regarding next year I am not really worried even without Greg Brown.
It is the following year.

I was a fan of Shaka at VCU. He got his team to play extremely hard on the defensive end and was a tough to team to play in the tournament. I haven't watched him at Texas much. Is he having a hard time getting guys to buy in?

Some guys are better off at schools like VCU than Texas. I know he's recruited well so in theory Texas should have talent but we haven't seen any deep runs with Shaka at the helm. Some of that is just experience. A lot of coaches he's going against have been doing this a lot longer than him.

I was a fan of Shaka at VCU. He got his team to play extremely hard on the defensive end and was a tough to team to play in the tournament. I haven't watched him at Texas much. Is he having a hard time getting guys to buy in?

Some guys are better off at schools like VCU than Texas. I know he's recruited well so in theory Texas should have talent but we haven't seen any deep runs with Shaka at the helm. Some of that is just experience. A lot of coaches he's going against have been doing this a lot longer than him.

Ultimately the team's biggest issues have been turnovers and horrible offensive sets
For the most part the team has been there every year on the defensive end.

But if you go through scoring droughts good offensive teams are going to be able to score on you.

In regards to buying in. Just like every team you have games when you see it and games you don't in the regular season. This last year you saw more of what type of team Shaka likes. That was because of injuries and giving huge minutes to role players.

This last year's team was very difficult to read. Without a Big 12 and NCAA Tournament I can't really say where that team was at compared to everyone else.

The previous times Shaka took Texas to the NCAA Tournament he could have easily won both games.
Going to back to what I said in the first paragraph Nevada finally got hot and their offensive efficiency was too much for Texas and they beat them in OT.

Shaka needs to bring an experienced coach in who has been around.
He has his team with his players next year. Just matters where that is at mentally to begin the season.

If we have a season and all the teams stay where they are right now the Big 12 should be very solid once again.
Doubt we see two teams in the Top 5 for most of the year.

West Virginia
Texas Tech
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Out of those 5 I don't know what team threatens Baylor and Kansas.
Hard to say without a Big 12 and NCAA Tournament

Possibly WVU. Just matters about McBride and how he develops and if Oscar comes back

Texas Tech is a big ???. They have a solid class but at the end of last year they didn't look like a winning team

Oklahoma loses their best player in Doolittle

Oklahoma State. Cunningham could end up in the G League. I wouldn't say him going to Oklahoma State is for sure. We will have to see. But they lose some good players.

Ultimately the team's biggest issues have been turnovers and horrible offensive sets
For the most part the team has been there every year on the defensive end.

But if you go through scoring droughts good offensive teams are going to be able to score on you.

In regards to buying in. Just like every team you have games when you see it and games you don't in the regular season. This last year you saw more of what type of team Shaka likes. That was because of injuries and giving huge minutes to role players.

This last year's team was very difficult to read. Without a Big 12 and NCAA Tournament I can't really say where that team was at compared to everyone else.

The previous times Shaka took Texas to the NCAA Tournament he could have easily won both games.
Going to back to what I said in the first paragraph Nevada finally got hot and their offensive efficiency was too much for Texas and they beat them in OT.

Shaka needs to bring an experienced coach in who has been around.
He has his team with his players next year. Just matters where that is at mentally to begin the season.

Shaka is a smart guy and he will learn from his mistakes. The question is how patient is Texas going to be.

Having basketball knowledge doesn't equate to being a good teacher.

Texas should have thrown a pile at Beard. But maybe they knew he wouldn't accept.

Can we go back to where he said Chris Beard and Scott Drew weren't that good, and Shaka Smart was better?

Hey I'm a fan of Shaka Smart, loved those HAVOC teams at VCU, but what he's done since then is nowhere near Scott Drew and Chris Beard. Shaka Smart isn't in the same class as those two guys. If Kansas opened tomorrow, both Beard and Drew would get a long look. Smart wouldn't even show up on a top 10 list, probably not even top 20.

I think Smart can win at Texas, but he's been a failure in Austin so far without too many signs of being a guy that can consistently get them into the tournament and make a run.

Can we go back to where he said Chris Beard and Scott Drew weren't that good, and Shaka Smart was better?

Hey I'm a fan of Shaka Smart, loved those HAVOC teams at VCU, but what he's done since then is nowhere near Scott Drew and Chris Beard. Shaka Smart isn't in the same class as those two guys. If Kansas opened tomorrow, both Beard and Drew would get a long look. Smart wouldn't even show up on a top 10 list, probably not even top 20.

I think Smart can win at Texas, but he's been a failure in Austin so far without too many signs of being a guy that can consistently get them into the tournament and make a run.

I don't think that Drew would get a long look. Beard definitely.

I don't think that Drew would get a long look. Beard definitely.
Why not Drew? I mean I believe you, but what are the reasons? If for some reason Indiana opened up, he wouldn't be on my short list either. Beard might be #1 on the list.

Why not Drew? I mean I believe you, but what are the reasons? If for some reason Indiana opened up, he wouldn't be on my short list either. Beard might be #1 on the list.

I just don't think they consider him an elite coach. Good, but not elite.

I think there are several better options that would pick up the phone before they had to look at someone like Drew.

Reactions: duckboy33
If we have a season and all the teams stay where they are right now the Big 12 should be very solid once again.
Doubt we see two teams in the Top 5 for most of the year.

West Virginia
Texas Tech
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Out of those 5 I don't know what team threatens Baylor and Kansas.
Hard to say without a Big 12 and NCAA Tournament

Possibly WVU. Just matters about McBride and how he develops and if Oscar comes back

Texas Tech is a big ???. They have a solid class but at the end of last year they didn't look like a winning team

Oklahoma loses their best player in Doolittle

Oklahoma State. Cunningham could end up in the G League. I wouldn't say him going to Oklahoma State is for sure. We will have to see. But they lose some good players.

I can tell you who it wont be out of those 5, the answer is Texas with Shaka Smart as the coach. I dont know why your beating yourself up at this point everyone in the know has heard the rumblings of back channel offers to Beard and Beilein, Shaka is just keeping the seat warm after a strange end to the season.

I can tell you who it wont be out of those 5, the answer is Texas with Shaka Smart as the coach. I dont know why your beating yourself up at this point everyone in the know has heard the rumblings of back channel offers to Beard and Beilein, Shaka is just keeping the seat warm after a strange end to the season.

Shaka stayed because of Greg Brown.
The final outcome of what he is trying to build hasn't been seem.

Who said that?

Chris Beard is vastly overrated. That Texas Tech team wasn't very good last year.
Hasn't showed he could win without Jarrett Culver

We will see next year if we have a basketball season.

Regarding Scott Drew.
He has had ups and downs at Baylor. Has had a lot of talented teams but for the most part he is a Sweet 16/Elite 8 coach.
Hasn't proven he is capable of winning the NCAA Tournament.

Who said that?

Chris Beard is vastly overrated. That Texas Tech team wasn't very good last year.
Hasn't showed he could win without Jarrett Culver

We will see next year if we have a basketball season.

Regarding Scott Drew.
He has had ups and downs at Baylor. Has had a lot of talented teams but for the most part he is a Sweet 16/Elite 8 coach.
Hasn't proven he is capable of winning the NCAA Tournament.
Well maybe we will see in the tournament because the regular season doesn't matter.

Well maybe we will see in the tournament because the regular season doesn't matter.

Hard to judge last year because we didn't see where everyone was at.

That Texas vs Texas Tech game in the Big 12 Tournament was huge for both programs.

Both programs really needed a win.
I felt like Texas was a lot tougher than Texas Tech. That is saying a lot because Chris Beard usually has that team up for needed wins.
They just didn't have it. Especially on the Defensive end.

But Burnett next year can change that.
He is 6-4 with a 6-10 wingspan. Going to make Tech the defensive juggernaut on the perimeter again.

ADVERTISEMENT