ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 Programs This Century

I'd actually give the nod to UNC.

They have 2 more title appearances, 2 more Final Fours, 2 more Regional Finals, and 4 more ACC regular season titles.

We are +9 in ACC Tournament Titles and + 8 in the head-to-head (30-22), however. Maybe the biggest downside of UNC is they've had two losing seasons (2002 & 2020), and they missed the tournament an additional two times (2003 & 2010). But, their tournament success should put them atop the list in the 21st century, IMO.

VCU?

VCU has been passed the first round of the NCAAT 5 times this century and passed the second round once. They have, I believe, 8 total NCAAT wins this century, with 4 coming in one fluke run.

How are they even in the top 35?

Haha right!? And they haven't even dominated their conference. 6 combined regular season championships for a mid-major is another indication that they're not worthy of top 25 consideration.

I haven't mentally gone through all of the notable schools, but I think Oklahoma is most likely the biggest omission. 2 Final Fours, 4 Elite Eights, 5 Sweet 16s, and 10 trips to the Round of 32.

Haha right!? And they haven't even dominated their conference. 6 combined regular season championships for a mid-major is another indication that they're not worthy of top 25 consideration.

I haven't mentally gone through all of the notable schools, but I think Oklahoma is most likely the biggest omission. 2 Final Fours, 4 Elite Eights, 5 Sweet 16s, and 10 trips to the Round of 32.
Agree on VCU. Wichita St is the other questionable one. They were behind Creighton and Southern Illinois in the Missouri Valley for most of the first decade of this century. They’ve also fallen off pretty badly the last couple of years as well.

Reactions: dukedevilz

I’d think that WV and Baylor should be there before VCU too.

Good catch. Yeah, how is Baylor not in there? Baylor, Oklahoma, and West Virginia should all be in there before VCU and Wichita State.
VCU legit shouldn’t be in the top 40, let alone 25. Illinois is ahead of VCU. Hell, FSU and ND are probably ahead of VCU. FSU has 4 Sweet 16s, VCU has 1. And FSU likely isn’t even top 30.

By the way, great stats on OU. I didn’t realize they’d been that good.

umm-no.gif

VCU is 81st in Ap Poll appearances. Wichita State is 46th.

That's a great tool to use to capture data from a specific time period. I like that.

VCU and Wichita State absolutely do not belong in this category. So many other deserving teams. I'd also say Memphis is a bit too high at #15. They had 3 Regional Finals and 1 Title Appearance. But, not a whole lot else. Only 4 Sweet 16s and they've missed the tournament 11 times.

There are others, but I think West Virginia, Oklahoma, Baylor, Illinois, Purdue, Marquette, Indiana, and Notre Dame should all be easy choices ahead of VCU and Wichita State.

That's a great tool to use to capture data from a specific time period. I like that.

VCU and Wichita State absolutely do not belong in this category. So many other deserving teams. I'd also say Memphis is a bit too high at #15. They had 3 Regional Finals and 1 Title Appearance. But, not a whole lot else. Only 4 Sweet 16s and they've missed the tournament 11 times.

There are others, but I think West Virginia, Oklahoma, Baylor, Illinois, Purdue, Marquette, Indiana, and Notre Dame should all be easy choices ahead of VCU and Wichita State.
Agree about Memphis. I was surprised to see them so high.

lol you get lady boners when Big 12 schools are mentioned?
I'd take Baylor and Oklahoma's "past 23" cycles over almost a fifth of those listed.. any recognition, atp, of teams Kansas laid pipe through for ~15 straight, causes .. good vibrations.

VCU is 81st in Ap Poll appearances. Wichita State is 46th.

Using that tool, here are the top 25 based on appearances in the Final AP Poll:

**Note, if there were was a tie, I went based on who had the higher average finish**

1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Wisconsin
5. Gonzaga
6. North Carolina
7. Michigan State
8. Arizona
9. Villanova
10. Louisville
11. Florida
12. Ohio State
13. Syracuse
14. UConn
15. Purdue
16. Pittsburgh
17. Illinois
18. Texas
19. Oklahoma
20. Maryland
21. Virginia
22. Baylor
23. UCLA
24. West Virginia
25. Tennessee

Only major problem I see is Wisconsin. Their average ranking is much lower than the other teams in the top 10.

Last edited:
Here's the same thing on the Women's side since 2000:

1. UConn
2. Stanford
3. Baylor
4. Tennessee
5. Duke
6. Notre Dame
7. Maryland
8. Ohio State
9. Texas A&M
10. Louisville