ADVERTISEMENT

The Bagley family & Nike

Lol, well that's not conspicuous at all. 10 years ago, they're filing for bankruptcy and have a combined annual income of $44,000. In 2011, they likely had to foreclose on their home, and in 4 short years following that, they're living in a home that could range between $750,000 - $1.5 million, and paying rent that ranges between $2,500 - $7,500 per month. Somebody should check and see if the Bagleys have ever hit the lottery. If not, we may be looking at the greatest success story ever told, I mean, unless Bagley got paid by a massive shoe company or something. o_O

I do know for a fact that his dad has done some shady things. He’s from Durham and played football at NC&T. And I believe he was kicked off the team too.

Not sure how this would affect Bagley, Nike sponsored an AAU team that his dad coached... I don't think this is uncommon or exclusive to the Bagley's. Wake me up if they catch K on a wiretap.

Not sure how this would affect Bagley, Nike sponsored an AAU team that his dad coached... I don't think this is uncommon or exclusive to the Bagley's. Wake me up if they catch K on a wiretap.
Nobody here has mentioned K or Duke but you gotta be honest, this looks shady as hell.

You don’t have to. Why would you
a. Click on the topic
b. Read the link
c. Respond
If you didn’t care just a little bit? I don’t remember anybody @ you to read the thread.

I’m asking you to explain why this has your panties in an uproar. I’m sure it being about a Duke player is mere coincidence.

I’m asking you to explain why this has your panties in an uproar. I’m sure it being about a Duke player is mere coincidence.

You actually didn't ask that. I don't even like @uncfan in ky

Dude is a dick, but you're just wrong here lol. I think anybody should be like "well that's kinda shitty" if a rival team got a player that got paid ~$1,000,000 prior to ever going to college.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito

Dude is a dick, but you're just wrong here lol. I think anybody should be like "well that's kinda shitty" if a rival team got a player that got paid ~$1,000,000 prior to ever going to college.

That’s exactly what I asked. I asked why I should care. This isn’t unique, this isn’t something we all didn’t already know happens, so why should I care about this story?

That’s exactly what I asked. I asked why I should care. This isn’t unique, this isn’t something we all didn’t already know happens, so why should I care about this story?

I mean, maybe you shouldn't lol. That's a question you should ask yourself. If that's your prerogative, then by all means, don't give a shit. Nobody will blame you, nobody will try to convince you otherwise. I can sympathize with somebody who doesn't give a shit, even. This post is for people who may be interested in this kind of thing though. I'm sure you'd be more inclined to read and give a shit if it were a UNC player, or a UK player, or maybe a Kansas player. Maybe not, but again, that's you.

The only thing lower than the Bagley’s income prior to Duke is the number of ****s I give

Reactions: tw3301
I mean, maybe you shouldn't lol. That's a question you should ask yourself. If that's your prerogative, then by all means, don't give a shit. Nobody will blame you, nobody will try to convince you otherwise. I can sympathize with somebody who doesn't give a shit, even. This post is for people who may be interested in this kind of thing though. I'm sure you'd be more inclined to read and give a shit if it were a UNC player, or a UK player, or maybe a Kansas player. Maybe not, but again, that's you.

Of course I’d be more interested if it was about KU, but Josh jackson’s Mom was mentioned as well and I still find myself nonplussed. Did that article allege Duke was behind the payment? Seemed to be about Nike, and UNC is a Nike school too. So how was the money an advantage for Duke over UNC?

How is this worse than Mizzou hiring Porter Sr to get the son or KU hiring Mario charmers father to get Super Mario? UNC had fake classes for 20 years, Derrick Rose didn’t take the SAT - who cares, let’s just play some basketball.

Reactions: ioliva

Why are you as bitter as vinegar?

Nobody here has mentioned K or Duke but you gotta be honest, this looks shady as hell.
Meh........It looks like any other recruitment, TBH. IMO I don't see anissue wanting kids to go to Nike, Adidas schools, etc, etc........I think it becomes an issue when you start funneling them to certain schools. I am sure you could look at any kid, and find something.

Meh........It looks like any other recruitment, TBH. IMO I don't see anissue wanting kids to go to Nike, Adidas schools, etc, etc........I think it becomes an issue when you start funneling them to certain schools. I am sure you could look at any kid, and find something.
I’m pretty sure Nike gave him ( or anybody ) that money if they attend a Nike school & sign with Nike in the NBA.

The NCAA would not comment on any specific cases. "A prospect or student-athlete cannot receive preferential treatment or extra benefits based on their athletics ability," said NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn. "This would include money from any source."

This to me is interesting. Unless Mr and Mrs. Bagley have eligibility, I do not see how them getting paid has any correlation with Bagley's status. I mean sure, it helps them provide for Bagley, i.e. private school, etc, etc...But technically, it's not a direct payment to Bagley. It's to his parents. Sure it can be argued by doing so, it pushed Bagley to a Nike school. Therefore an advantage being given. But to whom? Nike sponsors multiple schools, from multiple conference's. So how can you legally pin-point that one school gains an advantage? I mean Nike sponsors such schools as Tulane, UCF from the AAC. Are you telling me that since Nike sponsors these schools, that it puts them on the same level as Duke? Or gives them an advantage over a non Nike school? Duke, KU, UK, etc, etc....high powered programs with Nile sponsors, don't need kids funneled to them. They got elite talent well before this epidemic came about. Their connection to Nike has little impact on the kids they get. Sure it has some impact. But nowhere an impact that screams advantage. The advantage that schools such as UK, Duke, UNC have is b/c of who they are. Not what shoe they wear.

JMO. I just don't see an issue with kids being funneled to Nike sponsored schools. Or Adidas. Where I do see a problem though is when you start funneling kids to a specific school.

I’m pretty sure Nike gave him ( or anybody ) that money if they attend a Nike school & sign with Nike in the NBA.
I am sure they did. But unless they said-------"we are only giving you this money if you go to Duke", then I don't see an issue. If the monies given are to said recruit----Also a problem. But if dad is given a job through Nike, with the understanding his kid has to go to a Nike school, I don't see that as being shady. I see that as business. And that's what CBB is. Folks want to hide from that fact. But that's exactly what it is. A business. And companies like Nike,Adidas andUA are cashing it on it.

Unless they are telling these kids,"you have to go to this specific school", then I just don't see an issue. I mean Nike sponsors every team but two in the Big East. Sponsor 10 of the 14 SEC teams. Half(actually 8) of the Big 10. In other words, it's not like they are sponsoring a handful of schools. From those 3 conference's alone, they(Nike) sponsor 25 of the 37 schools. So they want these kids whom they have invested into(mom/dad), to go to a NIke sponsored school. Ok? Why would they not?

Unless they are A) giving money directly to a kid, or B) telling them to go to a specific school---I simply so no issue.

That BAM scam!
tenor.gif

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
I am sure they did. But unless they said-------"we are only giving you this money if you go to Duke", then I don't see an issue. If the monies given are to said recruit----Also a problem. But if dad is given a job through Nike, with the understanding his kid has to go to a Nike school, I don't see that as being shady. I see that as business. And that's what CBB is. Folks want to hide from that fact. But that's exactly what it is. A business. And companies like Nike,Adidas andUA are cashing it on it.

Unless they are telling these kids,"you have to go to this specific school", then I just don't see an issue. I mean Nike sponsors every team but two in the Big East. Sponsor 10 of the 14 SEC teams. Half(actually 8) of the Big 10. In other words, it's not like they are sponsoring a handful of schools. From those 3 conference's alone, they(Nike) sponsor 25 of the 37 schools. So they want these kids whom they have invested into(mom/dad), to go to a NIke sponsored school. Ok? Why would they not?

Unless they are A) giving money directly to a kid, or B) telling them to go to a specific school---I simply so no issue.
Good points. Sad thing is, that’s exactly what’s wrong with CBB.

I hope this turns into the new “NCAA send UNC letter of intent to investigate” thread

One and done needs to end. There is no reason Bagley should be forced to play college basketball at a basketball factory school like Duke. Just let them go to the NBA

I like Marvin. Great player and seems like a solid dude. His dad is another story. Hope Marvin succeeds in spite of him.

One and done needs to end. There is no reason Bagley should be forced to play college basketball at a basketball factory school like Duke. Just let them go to the NBA
"Forced"? How is he being forced to play CBB? And yeah, poor him. Playing at on of the most prestigious schools in CBB.

Poor guy.

ADVERTISEMENT