ADVERTISEMENT

Sucks for anyone drawing Murray State

KStateFootball82

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2017
It’s quite unfair for Any 5 or 4 seed in first two rounds.

Zion might be a beast. But Ja is a magician.

FSU is very athletic and a good team tho. But have a feeling it’s Murray vs Zags.

Reactions: theycallmefrancis
I am not pleased with this matchup
Me either. I was bold and put y'all in my Final 4. And you can absolutely lose this game. FSU has been solid all season. Im rooting for Murray because, well duh, but in my bracket I picked FSU fwiw.

Guarding Ja is tricky. He can exploit any 1-on-1 matchup with ease. If you overhelp on him, he's bound to find an open shooter. He's a game-changer, no question.

When I saw he was in the west region I had to recheck the bracket

We don’t have to play him until The elite 8

Last edited:
Murray State is good. Morant is the real deal. BUT.............

FSU is just to athletic for anyone on Murray State not named Morant.

Noles by 10+.

Reactions: Spacegrass
If Trent Forrest was 100% healthy, this would be blowout city. Morant would have not seen anyone with his size, length, and lateral quickness. But the injury to Forrest, and now Nichols, makes this tricky.

Still, Hamilton is one of the best in the game at drawing up a defensive game plan to take away a team’s first option. Look at what we did to Kyle Guy, Tyus Battle, Cason Edwards, and Tremont Waters this year. And Dennis Smith a couple years ago. And Anthony Lamb just one round ago.

I’m very interested to see what Ham draws up. And also to see how Morant handles NBA length.

Noles by 10+.
I’d agree except they had a huge athletic advantage against Vermont and barely won yesterday. So Murray st still has a chance even with an athletic disadvantage.

Watched him play vs Auburn this year in person. We were up 15 with a few minutes left and then he turned into MJ.

Dude is unreal and the best “all around” player in the college basketball by far.

too lasy to look it up but Murray St, Western, N.KY, Morehead has produced a very solid basketball product and some coaches for D1 teams.

Reactions: CB3UK
I’d agree except they had a huge athletic advantage against Vermont and barely won yesterday. So Murray st still has a chance even with an athletic disadvantage.

I don’t know about “barely won.” We had the 9 points covered until a garbage time layup with a few seconds left after we stopped guarding.

On top of that, Vermont’s 16 made threes (they average 8 a game on 35% during the season) were the third most in NCAAT history by a losing team. There’s dozens of major upsets over the years that occurred due to the mid-major going nuts from 3. This time the mid-major went nuclear from 3 and they still trailed the final 10 minutes of the game, down 8+ points much of that time.

Maybe you were just trolling. Idk. Do you really think being up 71-58 with a minute to go is “barely winning?”

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I don’t know about “barely won.” We had the 9 points covered until a garbage time layup with a few seconds left after we stopped guarding.

On top of that, Vermont’s 16 made threes (they average 8 a game on 35% during the season) were the third most in NCAAT history by a losing team. There’s dozens of major upsets over the years that occurred due to the mid-major going nuts from 3. This time the mid-major went nuclear from 3 and they still trailed the final 10 minutes of the game, down 8+ points much of that time.

Maybe you were just trolling. Idk. Do you really think being up 71-58 with a minute to go is “barely winning?”
I don't....:D

Not saying Murray cannot or will not win. BUT....I just you guys are a totally different monster.

Noles by 10+.

Marquette was pretty athletic too...

Not saying FSU won't win, because I have FSU picked, but athleticism won't be the reason Murray State loses.

Marquette was pretty athletic too...

Not saying FSU won't win, because I have FSU picked, but athleticism won't be the reason Murray State loses.
Sure MU is athletic. Not FSU athletic, though. The Noles go 8, 9 deep. They are faster than MU was...In a nutshell, they are better. Much better IMO. FSU as a 4 seed is scary.

Edit: Tampa let me get away from the word "athletic" for a second. A better word is the speed of FSU. And the speed they will play at. I just think that is going to be a big, big difference. Plus, they are better defensively. I just don't think this is a good match-up for Murray State,

I was more nervous for the first weekend than the second weekend when the brackets came out. The Vermont game was basically an away game and Morant might be the best player in the country.

If Forest was 100% I think FSU would just turn this into a 1-on-1 game between him and Morant on the defensive end. Face guard every other player on the court to not let Morant let them get hot.

As awesome as Morant was Thursday, that Marquette team was reeling going into that game. They basically gave up at halftime.

Sure MU is athletic. Not FSU athletic, though. The Noles go 8, 9 deep. They are faster than MU was...In a nutshell, they are better. Much better IMO. FSU as a 4 seed is scary.

Edit: Tampa let me get away from the word "athletic" for a second. A better word is the speed of FSU. And the speed they will play at. I just think that is going to be a big, big difference. Plus, they are better defensively. I just don't think this is a good match-up for Murray State,

I pretty much agree with you. My only concern is our health. Phil Cofer, one of our best defenders, hurt and dealing with loss of his father. Trent Forrest, our best on-ball defender, hurt toe; probably 70%. David Nichols, Forrest’s backup, got sideswiped by a Vermont player and hurt his ankle.

We still have waves of bodies to throw at Morant, but we are definitely thinner than normal right now.

Expect to see a lot of Anthony Polite (99% of this board probably doesn’t know who that is, that’s how deep we go) and Devin Vassell.

More folks should have listened to this.
Tried to tell'em GE....I tried to tell'em.:D

If its you dudes and Gonzaga.....Whooooa, nelly. Probably gonna fvck up my "Gonzaga deserved their 1-seed" gripe. But....IMO, FSU kinda of underseeded. Them and GU should be an Elite 8 game.

Tried to tell'em GE....I tried to tell'em.:D

If its you dudes and Gonzaga.....Whooooa, nelly. Probably gonna fvck up my "Gonzaga deserved their 1-seed" gripe. But....IMO, FSU kinda of underseeded. Them and GU should be an Elite 8 game.

Hahaha I just said the same thing in other thread. Should be a fantastic game.

It’s quite unfair for Any 5 or 4 seed in first two rounds.

Zion might be a beast. But Ja is a magician.

FSU is very athletic and a good team tho. But have a feeling it’s Murray vs Zags.

giphy.gif

Reactions: GE Nole
If Trent Forrest was 100% healthy, this would be blowout city. Morant would have not seen anyone with his size, length, and lateral quickness. But the injury to Forrest, and now Nichols, makes this tricky.

Still, Hamilton is one of the best in the game at drawing up a defensive game plan to take away a team’s first option. Look at what we did to Kyle Guy, Tyus Battle, Cason Edwards, and Tremont Waters this year. And Dennis Smith a couple years ago. And Anthony Lamb just one round ago.

I’m very interested to see what Ham draws up. And also to see how Morant handles NBA length.
I was with you until you said Dennis Smith. Dude has a ton of talent , reality is he was just a total chucker and a black hole that would completely stop ball movement.

I was with you until you said Dennis Smith. Dude has a ton of talent , reality is he was just a total chucker and a black hole that would completely stop ball movement.

Ehh. I think you’re just letting Gott’s “system” skew your memory. DSjr averaged more than 6 assists a game at NC State. He had multiple games with more than 10 assists. Against VT he had 27 points, 11 assists, 11 rebounds. Against Cuse he had 13 points 15 assists, and 11 boards.

Against FSU that year he had 8 points and 6 assists in a 95-71 loss. Sound familiar?

Ham turned Morant into a chucker last night too. Sure he got 28 points, but it was on 8-21 shooting, including 3-15 from 2. And his 4 assists were his second lowest total of the season.

Ehh. I think you’re just letting Gott’s “system” skew your memory. DSjr averaged more than 6 assists a game at NC State. He had multiple games with more than 10 assists. Against VT he had 27 points, 11 assists, 11 rebounds. Against Cuse he had 13 points 15 assists, and 11 boards.

Against FSU that year he had 8 points and 6 assists in a 95-71 loss. Sound familiar?

Ham turned Morant into a chucker last night too. Sure he got 28 points, but it was on 8-21 shooting, including 3-15 from 2. And his 4 assists were his second lowest total of the season.
Smith puts up numbers but he doesn't actually make any of his teammates better or win games. We will see how he does in NY going forward.

Morant has a way better feel for the game in comparison to Dennis Smith. Dennis Smith's team also had some guys that could play. You had a better roster than a 15-17 , 4-14 conference team.

Smith puts up numbers but he doesn't actually make any of his teammates better or win games. We will see how he does in NY going forward.

Morant has a way better feel for the game in comparison to Dennis Smith. Dennis Smith's team also had some guys that could play. You had a better roster than a 15-17 , 4-14 conference team.

Morant is better than Smith for sure. No argument. But again, you’re underestimating the cluster that was NC State that year. Whole team quit on Gott and Gott was spending more time at bars and with co-eds than coaching.

Anyway, this is all besides the point I was making. Hamilton is a heck of a defensive coach who excels at forcing teams with one star player to be inefficient.

I went sac religious and have FSU in my final 4. Damned if they do damned if they don't Sick. In all reality though they just have that all around team that tends to make deep in the tourney.

Morant is better than Smith for sure. No argument. But again, you’re underestimating the cluster that was NC State that year. Whole team quit on Gott and Gott was spending more time at bars and with co-eds than coaching.

Anyway, this is all besides the point I was making. Hamilton is a heck of a defensive coach who excels at forcing teams with one star player to be inefficient.
The cluster was Gott trying to bang any and everybodies wives around him.

ADVERTISEMENT